John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Furthermore, he was asked if at any point Bill would come in and say the offer was too good to refuse - he simply refused to answer that question. Again, indicates no assurances whatsoever on this.

Not really. He said "there is no such situation" and cracked it at the journo that asked.

To me he looked incredibly frustrated, but at the press trying to get him to hand them another headline. He genuinely doesn't want to discuss this and have it play out in the media, which is perfectly fine.

I think Stones is a professional - I'd be surprised if he put in a request at all, but I'd be totally gobsmacked if it was any earlier than the end of August.

The transfer request thing is just the media tapping up the player.

Mourhino is blatantly tapping up anyone he fancies. The guy(Pedro?) they stole from under LVGs nose has openly said that he had a few phone calls from Mourhino telling him in needed him to strengthen his side. One wonders if Mourhino, who I am now beginning to dislike a lot, has Stones' number?....

If he was going then I think we'd have had a statement about a transfer request, and an accepted bid - there has been neither.

I fear that folk are over-analysing things now.

Short of a daily Stones-is-staying statement from Everton, some people are going to give themselves stress problems over this.
th
Has the daily Stones-staying statement been sent yet?

The fact he is unaware of any potential transfer request is not the rebuttal we all wanted to here. As a manager it should be simply yes or no.

For me that's a telling and precise comment. It seems to me that there have been significant developments behind the scenes

Before any formal transfer request is made aplayer or his representatives will have made it clear what they want. A transfer request will be put in s a last resort for at that point their is rarely any way back for either the player or the club . Once Stones puts a formal a request into Everton, or should I say if, the that will cost him and his representatives a wedge of money and at this point from any players perspective why rush things? The dilemma for Everton is that he may well at the very last moment put a request and if he does they won't have time to bring suitable replacements in.

For me , and I accept others don't see it as relevant, is that nowhere have we heard anything about a new contract for if he really is 100% happy at Everton then it anew contract would have been discussed in the press ,or RM would be floating the proposition.

That's exactly it though - he could have put it to bed. If he was staying, it'd be incredibly easy to do.

He effectively did put it to bed last week; this week it seemed to me he opened the door.

Yes, I get the fact he might be bored of it, but to me that makes it worse, as it indicates he has no assurances from the board that the player is going nowhere, so he can't put it to bed, as it's probably going to happen.
but suppose some of same doubts must get into his head when the press keeping repeating it. Prob had reassurances and is convinced by Stones he won't put in transfer request, but getting difficult to come out and be cocky about it all the time

Furthermore, he was asked if at any point Bill would come in and say the offer was too good to refuse - he simply refused to answer that question. Again, indicates no assurances whatsoever on this.
Because of course there is some figure that would trigger that response - the same as there is for every player in world football

Actually, having rewatched, he DOES deny that there is that sort of possibility.

Now I don't believe that's true, but still, let's at least accurately represent his words, since plenty on here won't have been able to watch it yet

Last edited:
If we sell Stones, we might as well start playing in blue and white stripes, moaning about stadium shares and a rugby league team and call ourselves Huddersfield Town guys.

You don't want this.

It won't stop the press writing what they want though to sell papers and after that news conference I am certain the stories of Stones being close to an Everton exit will appear.

Can't win either way. Roll on September.
So let the press write what they want.

Do we really think that John Stones gets up in the morning, reaches for the Express and says "oh wow, the papers say I'm going to Chelsea, I'd better pack a bag"?

It's all words to fill copy space. Let the press do whatever they want while they still can - with the Internet, papers' days are numbered. Anything for attention now.

If something does happen, it will happen next week now, which even if Martinez had said "he is not for sale" then we still would have had story's all week about him wanting to go.
its no coincidence that every Chelsea tactic so far hasn't worked (small slow bids, players saying how great he is, media saying he should go to Chelsea, mourinho playing it up in the pressers). The next stage would be the press stating that the player wants to leave to try and turn the fans onto Stones' back. With a week to go they are getting desperate.
Martinez said "the story will continue from now till the end of the window", which it will, he cant stop the press pushing and pushing and pushing. He has said he is not for sale twice and they have chose to ignore that

Mourhino is blatantly tapping up anyone he fancies. The guy(Pedro?) they stole from under LVGs nose has openly said that he had a few phone calls from Mourhino telling him in needed him to strengthen his side. One wonders if Mourhino, who I am now beginning to dislike a lot, has Stones' number?....

Barcelona called Chelsea when United tried to lower the fee they had "agreed" over the phone with them. They made a right ricket out of dealing with them.

Spanish transfers are conducted in different way irrespective football is such a small community and if you don't think all clubs act in a similar way then you really need to open your eyes

Sorry mate, but I can only go on what my eyes and instinct tell me. Every single thing I got from that presser was that it was a matter of time until Stones is gone. Everything he said today was carefully worded to preserve information, whereas last week he was incredibly blunt on the matter.

My view is that something has changed in the last few days. I'm happy people are interpreting that presser another way, as it means at least there's a chance I'm wrong, but I've gone from 90% sure he'll stay to pretty certain he's going. My impression from that presser couldn't be any worse short of him saying "bid accepted".

And I'm the guy who wrote ten reasons why we shouldn't sell and honestly believed we wouldn't sell, as it'd be stupid. So no agenda here.

So basically Chelsea have read that and gone hey this guy makes great points. He's a must buy but let's get him to hand in a transfer request to make this happen.
It's your fault. YOU MONSTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back