John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 'Please Let Me Go' headline is up there with 'Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster'.

Then when you look underneath it blabbers on about 'John Stones will beg Bill Kenwright to allow him to make his dream move....", i.e. the journo has looked into his amazing crystal ball to see into the future and kindly lets us all know what is going to happen next week. Very thoughtful of him to keep us in the picture. Then he has turned it into the present tense into the headline above to make it sound like Stones has already said it.

This is where the 'gutter' press correctly earn that label. It is shoddy journalism of the lowest kind and is complete fiction; there isn't even a partial truth in there. It's stuff like this that makes us more determined maybe than is wise that we should not lose this battle with Chelsea and Mourinho, as no doubt it is they that are behind it.
Superbly put my good man.

Just thinking you'd have a different perspective.

From my perspective all the journo's are simply trying to get clicks...it's the world of 'news' these days.
Yeah I guess I could count myself as a journalist (in training).

I think there's a balance - unfortunately the business is driven by click and plays etc, my wages are paid by adverts so naturally I have to be good at getting people interested. Something like this would work, manufacturing a saga when there may not be one. But then again I think there are tons of great journalists that really do go out and seek stories that matter and really do pose big questions.

But for something like the Express (who aren't doing great atm - it's all about getting the 'exclusives' that'll get people visiting).

This is almost about more than John Stones and money now. This is about the perception of the football club and our standing in the world.
We need to be seen to be strong over this. We aren't going to be walked all over by Chelsea and their rent boy media friends.

It's been that way for about two weeks now. In my eyes, John Stones has been not for sale from the very moment Chelsea made the ridiculous second bid. Can't think of one good reason to sell short of around £55m+ now, where you can then legitimately say we simply had to sell as that offer would be insane.

If these big bids came at the start of the window id worry about him leaving, but with just over a week left in the window i dont think the board are even that stupid to sell him now.

Yeah I guess I could count myself as a journalist (in training).

I think there's a balance - unfortunately the business is driven by click and plays etc, my wages are paid by adverts so naturally I have to be good at getting people interested. Something like this would work, manufacturing a saga when there may not be one. But then again I think there are tons of great journalists that really do go out and seek stories that matter and really do pose big questions.

But for something like the Express (who aren't doing great atm - it's all about getting the 'exclusives' that'll get people visiting).

Thing is though mate, wouldn't it be better to invest their time in improving journalism and getting actual exclusives or interesting content published?

Two articles yesterday - in the Guardian and the Times - about Everton that were decent, yet they've been very much the exception to the rule.

Our press are absolutely awful right now. It's like they've forgotten what news is.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/22/everton-phil-jagielka-manchester-city-john-stones
A good thing Jagielka will not be dealing with Agüero on his own then. Unless developments between Chelsea and Everton move remarkably quickly, he should have John Stones beside him, doing his best to concentrate on the game and not dwell on the possibility that it could be his last for the club. “It’s not ideal,” Jagielka says, when the subject of Mourinho’s admiration for his 21-year-old centre-back partner inevitably raises its head. “We’ve got a saga now and it is difficult.

“I can’t get my head round why the transfer window works in this way. Surely it should shut in the first week of the new season, then everything would be done and dusted until Christmas. We should get rid of the circus once the games start because football should take priority. That’s where the entertainment should come from. Instead we have this overlap period and it unsettles people. It isn’t fair on players, especially 19- and 20-year-olds. John is the kind of character who just gets on with it, he is showing his maturity in dealing with the issue in the right way. But three or four games into the season it shouldn’t be an issue at all.”

Jagielka, now 33, and the subject of interest from Arsenal a few years ago, is realistic enough to accept that a club of Everton’s size will find it difficult to keep hold of their best players once the very biggest names in the Premier League express an interest. He understands perfectly well why Stones might want to join Chelsea, even if his present obligation is to do his best for his current employer until the matter is settled. “We had the same sort of thing a while back with Joleon Lescott, only he was a little bit older,” Jagielka says. “This is a great club, we are a tight unit and a happy one. I’ve never known anyone who has desperately wanted to leave Everton, though realistically there are certain clubs that can offer more opportunities to win things. “Joleon went to a club that was spending a lot of money and looking to win the title, and now he’s got trophies for doing so. When it was me having those sort of conversations with the gaffer it was quite simple at the end of the day, the club didn’t want to sell me, I had to carry on doing what I was doing. But I’m not sitting here thinking about what-ifs and maybes, I’ve had a fantastic career.

“If all goes well for John and he keeps his form and fitness, I’m sure he can go all the way. Potentially, he is as good as I’ve seen. His temperament is right, his ability is right, he can defend, he’s got great physical attributes. He is definitely progressing in the right way and it wouldn’t surprise me if he became the England centre-half for the next 10 or 12 years.”

One of the reasons a section of the Everton support has grown fed up with Bill Kenwright is that spending appears to have all but dried up. The joke currently doing the rounds is that Everton have only bought Tom and Jerry all summer (Cleverley and Deulofeu), while practically every Premier League rival has made more investments. “We need to know what money is coming in before we know what is going out,” Jagielka says. “We understand the fans are frustrated but that is the position. It is easy to point the finger at the person at the top, but we are a family club and everyone is together. While we may not be the wealthiest club around, we have continuity and a certain amount of soul. We never want to become a team that has 10 ins and outs every season and struggles.

“Plus, two years ago we had to wait until the last day to pick up Gareth Barry, James McCarthy and Romelu Lukaku. Everyone was crying and booing that summer, too, because we hadn’t done anything, but it turned out to be a brilliant window for us. We are not a club that can spend £50m whenever we want. Every million counts here. For teams like us that have to be careful in the transfer market these last few days of the window are massive.”

Thing is though mate, wouldn't it be better to invest their time in improving journalism and getting actual exclusives or interesting content published?

Two articles yesterday - in the Guardian and the Times - about Everton that were decent, yet they've been very much the exception to the rule.

Our press are absolutely awful right now. It's like they've forgotten what news is.
Time costs money and people move on so quickly now - I bet the Guardian and Times articles didn't get anywhere near as much click through as the countless John Stones stuff. But I do see the Guardian and Times as being full of the most interesting news pieces out there.

I think the idea of what is and isn't news has changed over the past 10 years, my generation now won't read articles longer than about 200 words which in itself really restricts what you can do with it. I know countless journos that used to be in the BBC and National Press that would before do a long piece on something and explore it but now have to sum it up in such a short amount of time because people switch so quickly.

Time costs money and people move on so quickly now - I bet the Guardian and Times articles didn't get anywhere near as much click through as the countless John Stones stuff. But I do see the Guardian and Times as being full of the most interesting news pieces out there.

I think the idea of what is and isn't news has changed over the past 10 years, my generation now won't read articles longer than about 200 words which in itself really restricts what you can do with it. I know countless journos that used to be in the BBC and National Press that would before do a long piece on something and explore it but now have to sum it up in such a short amount of time because people switch so quickly.
It's sad that people's short attention spans means that actual factual news reporting has gone to to the dogs in exchange for "click me, click me" material.

Behave he wrote an an article on the merseyside derby years back for the mirror,and never mentioned Everton once.

He's a Liverpool fan, but he wouldn't stoop as low as that. I've checked anyway and wasn't him. Two other idiots - neither with close links to Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back