John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not daft. Selling now for any amount of money under at the very least £50m is a disaster. We're literally waving the white flag.

One player and one fee isn't worth binning off the dignity of the entire club.

agreed. Especially as it will effectively cost us anywhere up to 8 - 14 points in the league whilst we a) scramble to buy a defender meanwhile playing some kid in his spot and losing games and b) realise the replacement we've bought is nowhere near as good as stones.

This is symptomatic of the modern game at the Prem level, 'small' clubs are expected to know their place and keep the obscene hype well oiled for the benefit of the 'real clubs' where the action and interest is.

For me it is not just about whether Martinez is good or bad, or our buying/selling policies, or whether we playing plodding football or not, or we pick oldies or youth, it is the fact that we have been left light years behind and these micro aspects are all symptoms of that. We occupy a different footballing universe to the rich clubs, and the disparity, with the Premier League's blessing, gets worse each season.
In Slovenia recently on holiday, I saw kids walking around in Chelsea tops, and there is a dedicated Chelsea channel on their national TV. We simply don't exist in that world. In Sky's hyped-up world, our role is to be the stupid sap, to know our place, sell our better players onto the real clubs and just occasionally have the audacity to beat one of them so that Sky can then purr away about the Prem being the best league in the world before they wet themselves once again at the prospect of Chelsea playing Man Utd.
Some posts deserve special praise...this is one of those. You have nailed it here mate

Players leave. Get over it.

We lost Sinclair, Allen, Vorm, Davies, Sigurdsson, Bony and we are stronger than ever. If you don't replace well, it's your fault. Look how Atletico and Sevilla have done after constantly selling players.

you have a board with a plan, we have a collection of muppets who'll pay off their dodgy loan with it

It's not daft. Selling now for any amount of money under at the very least £50m is a disaster. We're literally waving the white flag.

One player and one fee isn't worth binning off the dignity of the entire club.

I suppose we can say that the club didn't want to sell him and didn't actively encourage the move. To retain our dignity we either reject the transfer request altogether or hold out for the best possible price.

Jonny Evans is an awful player. Do we really have to always have Man U's hand-me-downs?! It's embarrassing!
No he's not although he's no John Stones but he's a very good player. It's just his injury history I worry about.

I'm not saying I want Martinez to sign him but for some reason I've been pretty certain all window Lennon and Evans will be signed. I'm not really too sure why either.

...plumber...

No, a part-time one of these:

PlummerTerrier.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back