• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me his agent is just doing his job here. He knows John is in demand, and knows we have money to burn right now. It's a perfect time to get him a nice fat new contract. Barca a don't buy potential, they buy the top end finished atical so don't believe the Barca link.

We hold all the cards here because of the length of his contract left and the fact we don't need the money. Hopefully once the euros are over an he sits down and sees what Moshiri has planned for us, we might see him.for a few years to come.

Unless he really wants to go anyway, in which case there's not much point in having a disinterested player. He played like someone who was disinterested for quite a bit of last season, so I'd accept the best offer and play someone who wants to be here.

imho we don't hold all the cards - Stones does. So we need to just accept his decision if that is to go, not block his 'ambition' - however misguided that may or may not be.

He's wanted to go since the close of the summer window last year. He's had absolutely no interest in signing a new deal here, so with 2 years left, he needs to go now.

We can replace him with a defender who's primarily a defender and not fancying himself as Beckenbauer and have about £20m change.

NEA
3 years left I thought.

For me his agent is just doing his job here. He knows John is in demand, and knows we have money to burn right now. It's a perfect time to get him a nice fat new contract. Barca a don't buy potential, they buy the top end finished atical so don't believe the Barca link.

We hold all the cards here because of the length of his contract left and the fact we don't need the money. Hopefully once the euros are over an he sits down and sees what Moshiri has planned for us, we might see him.for a few years to come.
I like your optimism!

So he has 3 years left on his contract and a new manager coming in , those are significant. But the most significant bit is Moshiri. The guy is showing he's not only got football knowledge but strongly pursues what he wants with determination. Now this doesn't mean he can always get what he wants , but I would reckon that if he and Koeman determine Stones is worth keeping then it will be difficult for another club to prise him away . Moshiri is making statements of intent , Stones will be another. So he'll make it difficult if he needs to , and while you can't always get what you want, if you try sometimes you might find ......you get what you need.

3 years on his contract means Everton hold the position of power. Stones was poor for large portions of last season and I do wonder how serious the interest is from teams who are reportedly interested in him. The fee that will be required to be paid is a large one for a young player who is still developing and may not actually turn into the player we all believe he can.

City have signed another centre half and whilst injury prone, Kompany has been too important to them to just be cast aside. If he is fit, he will be number 1 choice still meaning stones would go their potentially as 3rd choice or if Pep gets something out of mangala, even 4th choice. I don't city moving for him this year.

United rate smalling and have spent £30m on bouilly. Again, I cant see them coming in.

As someone said above, barca want the finished product, same for any of the other top European sides.

It's a bit like lukaku, with a long term contract still in place, the fee we will want is probably prohibitive for players who are not the finished article. I suspect that Stones' agent is putting this out there for everton to make a large contract offer.

By the start of the season, if he stays, Stones could be on 100k plus per week and guaranteed starter under the management of one of the finest ball playing defenders in Europe of his generation. To me, career development wise, that's better than sitting on city's bench.

Stones was always gone if the right offer came in this summer, after what he did last summer. There was no way back long term from that.

Key part of that is "right offer" though. We won't sell cheap. Around the £40m mark.

He's wanted to go since the close of the summer window last year. He's had absolutely no interest in signing a new deal here, so with 2 years left, he needs to go now.

We can replace him with a defender who's primarily a defender and not fancying himself as Beckenbauer and have about £20m change.

NEA

Indeed. Sell for around £40m, spend £20m on Van Dijk and we immediately improve the team with change left over.

Boss thing is we can buy his replacement before selling due to our wealth, so we don't have to show our hand early anymore.

NEA

Eh?

He hasn't been offered a new deal. It would have been leaked if he had.

If City are interested, with the best manager in the world, then you can't blame the lad.

However, stop with this nonsense about him not being able to defend. He makes mistakes - but no more than any other defender does. He doesn't 'fancy himself as Beckenbauer' - he's just a bloody top class player.

If he goes, he goes - for the right price. If he stays, he stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back