• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Sell for around £40m, spend £20m on Van Dijk and we immediately improve the team with change left over.

Boss thing is we can buy his replacement before selling due to our wealth, so we don't have to show our hand early anymore.

VVD is just as liable as Stones is for mistakes - as every other defender is.

Stones should be the one we go all out to keep (as it does seem Rom is the one intent on leaving). If City do indeed come in for Stones - and he wants to join the best manager in the world at the moment - then that's perfectly reasonable and like you said, we'll get good money for him. But it'll be a blow.

I also think VVD would cost a lot more than £20mil, btw. He's on a 6 year deal signed a few months ago, and So'ton would rinse us every penny of the Stones money for him.

So he has 3 years left on his contract and a new manager coming in , those are significant. But the most significant bit is Moshiri. The guy is showing he's not only got football knowledge but strongly pursues what he wants with determination. Now this doesn't mean he can always get what he wants , but I would reckon that if he and Koeman determine Stones is worth keeping then it will be difficult for another club to prise him away . Moshiri is making statements of intent , Stones will be another. So he'll make it difficult if he needs to , and while you can't always get what you want, if you try sometimes you might find ......you get what you need.

he's got 2 years left

Even if he is thinking of going to City, I have a couple of words of advice for him.

Jack Rodwell.

He's a lot, lot better than Rodwell.

And, btw, Rodwell wasn't the one who forced through a move on that occasion. He was transfer listed by the club as the best asset we could sell to improve the squad (we bought Kev and Oviedo with the money, I believe, and went for Ofoe/Fer)

Genuinely though, there's not actually being any concrete 'news'?

Of course City are interested, why wouldn't they be. He's a young English player with all the talent in the world who perfectly fits Guardiola's system.

But other than that, which is common sense, there's no news.

I'm pretty confident that had he been offered a deal, we'd have at least leaked a titbit of info to show fans that we were trying to tie him down. That hasn't happened, which makes me believe we either a) haven't offered one or b) had prelim discussions that didn't get far and are waiting for Stones to sit down with RK

I wouldn't begrudge him at all moving to City to play alongside some of the best players in the league and under the best manager.

But funny how players turn to crap as soon as there's an inkling they may move... which as a few posters have pointed out is only common sense

Eh?

He hasn't been offered a new deal. It would have been leaked if he had.

If City are interested, with the best manager in the world, then you can't blame the lad.

However, stop with this nonsense about him not being able to defend. He makes mistakes - but no more than any other defender does. He doesn't 'fancy himself as Beckenbauer' - he's just a bloody top class player.

If he goes, he goes - for the right price. If he stays, he stays.

Him and his agent where spoken to about a new contract last Autumn, and the club were given no encouragement whatsoever. Fact.

He makes plenty of mistakes, mostly because Martinez indulged the lad and actively encouraged him to overplay at times. So that's not all his fault, but he does proper fancy himself these days. He was very level headed, but the smoke being blown up his arse constantly finally impacted on him I'm told.

VVD is just as liable as Stones is for mistakes - as every other defender is.

Stones should be the one we go all out to keep (as it does seem Rom is the one intent on leaving). If City do indeed come in for Stones - and he wants to join the best manager in the world at the moment - then that's perfectly reasonable and like you said, we'll get good money for him. But it'll be a blow.

I also think VVD would cost a lot more than £20mil, btw. He's on a 6 year deal signed a few months ago, and So'ton would rinse us every penny of the Stones money for him.

That's just not true mate.

Stones will go on to be a far better defender, but right now VVD is the better defender by some distance. Stones is twice as error prone due to his style of play.

That's just not true mate.

Stones will go on to be a far better defender, but right now VVD is the better defender by some distance. Stones is twice as error prone due to his style of play.

VVD plays in a very similar style of play? Like, they're so akin it's untrue. The only difference is VVD's size/power.

Stones' mistakes are highlighted, and we all know he makes them.

But fgs, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling (supposedly the best centre back in England atm) make tons more (Smalling getting sent off in a cup final, conceding the penalty against us etc - Cahill being dreadful all season). Jags makes a fair few, Mori has had a few shockers. The list goes on...

If Stones wants to leave, we will know about it for certain after the Euros. He'll sit down with the new manager and the first thing on Koeman's list will be to try and persuade him to stay. However, if Pep comes calling, along with 150k per-week, CL football and a nice £40mil for us, he'll probably be off.

It would be a blow, though, and I'm not having some people claiming it wouldn't be, even though I'd be confident we'd get an adequate replacement in.

VVD would definitely cost a lot more than £20mil though.

This has been posted and corrected a few times , if you've got something different you should post it. My maths says three years.
"On 7 August 2014, Stones signed a new five-year contract to keep him with Everton until 2019. "

Fair enough. From the source I got it said 2018. My mistake

Set to trip and fall onto his transfer request, and say "i didn't mean to baby it was an accident"

But we reject it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back