• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags isn't getting any younger. Funes Mori is decent but is he really top four quality?

Regards to Pennington he won't make it, no chance. Holgate and Galloway have potential but maybe in a season or two.

So for me if Stones goes we need two. Can't see jags playing much this year, and I don't believe Mori is good enough to take us to the next step

You're going to be very surprised then lad.

He's club captain, and probably still our best 'out and out' defender. Plus he's only turning 34, not 38/39. Still got a season in him at the highest level at least.

What I'd like to see is a lot of the Stones money being re-invested into a high quality replacement. If after the first few weeks of the campaign then it looks as if the kids aren't good enough for fourth choice, then we go out and get a half-decent stop-gap in to boost the squad.

Last year, as you said mate, was his 'breakout' year. He's what, 25? A handful of international caps to his name and one very good season. I think he's a very good player don't get me wrong, but he's not 'proven' world class - or even in the same category of somebody like Bonucci.

I'd be chuffed to bits if we signed him though.

For France he must have got sick of waiting same as Laporte i guess but jumped ship to senegal. In fact that came at the end of the 2014/15 season when he also did very well in the 2nd half of the season i guess after adjusting to the league.

If he was Italian hed have been capped jan 2015 onwards i think and blows away any of Englands defenders. Would be the best in the league no danger.

With Bonucci his stats should be tempered with him playing in a back 3 of the champions....an national team. He is world class but if koulibaly was in the same setup im sure hed also be the same.

You're going to be very surprised then lad.

He's club captain, and probably still our best 'out and out' defender. Plus he's only turning 34, not 38/39. Still got a season in him at the highest level at least.

What I'd like to see is a lot of the Stones money being re-invested into a high quality replacement. If after the first few weeks of the campaign then it looks as if the kids aren't good enough for fourth choice, then we go out and get a half-decent stop-gap in to boost the squad.

Cant see Koeman doing that. He wants to win any game and will sign players to do so...any kids will be secondary and lucky to get a game.

Cant see Koeman doing that. He wants to win any game and will sign players to do so...any kids will be secondary and lucky to get a game.

He'll play the kids if they are ready. Therefore I think he'll give them a chance to prove they can be fourth choice.

If they aren't good enough yes he'll aim to bring somebody else in, I'm sure. First and foremost though we need somebody in who is genuine top-class to replace Stones in the starting XI.

He could actually be injured though...

Equally so could Stones - considering he's only been in training four days it seems feasible he wouldn't be risked.

I mean, I'm not saying we're not gonna end up selling him - we probably will - but I don't buy into the conspiracy theories either.

He'll play the kids if they are ready. Therefore I think he'll give them a chance to prove they can be fourth choice.

If they aren't good enough yes he'll aim to bring somebody else in, I'm sure. First and foremost though we need somebody in who is genuine top-class to replace Stones in the starting XI.

I think it will end up that he will not take the risk on jags being a bit injury prone these days and sign 2 centre backs.

If we believe the rumours of Koulibaly and also Rugani being bid for then it means hes after 2 as they are opposite types of defenders who would actually really compliment each other with Koulibaly being dominating and rugani more focusing on positioning.

Equally so could Stones - considering he's only been in training four days it seems feasible he wouldn't be risked.

I mean, I'm not saying we're not gonna end up selling him - we probably will - but I don't buy into the conspiracy theories either.

It's not really a far fetched conspiracy theory given the circumstances mate.

If we sold stones for £60mil then it would show the most expensive defender ever being someone with huge potential and the next best being an absolute donkey in david luiz.

I think it will end up that he will not take the risk on jags being a bit injury prone these days and sign 2 centre backs.

If we believe the rumours of Koulibaly and also Rugani being bid for then it means hes after 2 as they are opposite types of defenders who would actually really compliment each other with Koulibaly being dominating and rugani more focusing on positioning.

Yeh I suppose that's true.

Do think Jags will be first-choice when fit/in form though - and rightly so

John is but a pawn in a bigger game. He doesn't want to stay, and his leaving gives us the freedom to develop as we wish.

"Time to say good-bye"

Understand the sentiment but surely if we continue to struggle landing our high value targets, there's no real requirement for us to sell him

John Stones is being sold.

We all need to deal with it & look forward to watching the youth already coming through in that position & the replacements Koeman & Walsh sanction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back