• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I believe John Stones is a good player with a lot of potential who am sure under the supervision of the best manager of the world will blossom into a world class player and for that reason alone you can't begrudge him for leaving.

I said it during the last season that I think he would play well in the CDM role and I wouldn't be surprised that if he does go to City am sure he will be tried in this postion at some point as he has all the qualitys to make a good CDM maybe more so than he has the qualitys of a CB.

It makes sense to me that we need to bring in another quality centre half who has top level experience regardless of whether Stones is staying or not as Jagielka is showing cracks and the injures won't be doing him any good.

Is that Kouibaly? Possibly, I haven't seen enough of him to make a proper judgement however I think £45mil for him is a hefty fee that might not be worth the risk.

Promoting from within is a decent shout also but it's down to wether they are ready or not and am sure Koeman is monitoring the youth system and speaking to Unsy/Sheedy to see who may be ready to make the step up.

Back to John Stones and should the transfer go threw, I hope he gets a decent reception when he comes back to Goodison with City.

At the rumoured 60mil it is poteinally a fantastic deal for everyone involved.

Wonder where the fume-ometer will be amongst some fans when our net spent is -£50million at some stage. lol

we don't need two centre backs mate.

If/when Stones goes, we need a replacement for him. The kids deserve the chance to step up first and I think the likes of Browning, Galloway, Pennington and potentially even Holgate all deserve the chance.

In theory i'd agree, in pratise though mate, you need quality depth not utterly unprovemn potentially decent lads, we wwent into the season with only say Mori and a stones replacement and a currently crocked Jagielka then we are one injury or suspenison away from having no choice but to start one of the young lads no matter if they are good enough or not, a recipe for a utter disaster - could easily see the circumstance that we would end up going into a run of games with Galloway and Pennington starting at cb in that scenario and we'd be screwed

Bonucci has been good since 2009 and played alongside barzagli and chiellini in serie a top defensive setup. Hes been the most noticable being the ball player and really top notch since 2011.

In comparison koulibaly has only been getting regular games for 4 years where he was Genk'ss standout player before joining napoli where after one season his value rose from €5mil to €20mil. Last year was his 'breakout season' where he pretty much single handedly was the reason for napoli having a solid defence.

Im not sure after having watched him last season how he cant be called world class...not many could have done what he did every game last season.

if koulibaly was italian hed have been playing alongside bonucci for 1.5 seasons now.

Bonucci, Barzagli and Chiellini are the main men really aren't they? All bring something different but all boss defenders in their own right.

Surprised there's not been an official bid yet, given how he didn't even want to come back to us for pre season in an ideal world. Assuming he's not actually injured for today's game against Barnsley, which is fair enough if Walsh is playing the part of Kevin Spacey in The Negotiator and getting us absolutely top whack for him.

You'd have to think we're trying to get his replacement done and dusted before he leaves.

Pennington looked really decent. Galloway was really good until I think was pushed too far (sometimes in matches when stamina had gone he had to keep going for the team when should've been rested) and maybe needs to develop physically for the cb role?. Browning has looked good but had an injury problem. I've only seen Holgate a couple of times but maybe(?) needs a bit longer?

So, buy someone or gamble on what those players offer?

I'd say if Stones goes spend what we need to get a top-class replacement in. Then give the kids the chance to prove they can step up. If that's looking unlikely by the end of the window, maybe look for a short-term stop-gap option on loan or on a cheap deal as fourth choice.

Surprised there's not been an official bid yet, given how he didn't even want to come back to us for pre season in an ideal world. Assuming he's not actually injured for today's game against Barnsley, which is fair enough if Walsh is playing the part of Kevin Spacey in The Negotiator and getting us absolutely top whack for him.

You'd have to think we're trying to get his replacement done and dusted before he leaves.
Jags is also 'injured' mate... I doubt we're going to be selling him.

In theory i'd agree, in pratise though mate, you need quality depth not utterly unprovemn potentially decent lads, we wwent into the season with only say Mori and a stones replacement and a currently crocked Jagielka then we are one injury or suspenison away from having no choice but to start one of the young lads no matter if they are good enough or not, a recipe for a utter disaster - could easily see the circumstance that we would end up going into a run of games with Galloway and Pennington starting at cb in that scenario and we'd be screwed

True but if they are good enough they'll play. I'd rather have Galloway or Browning in there as fourth choice than somebody of the quality of Alcaraz, for example. I do want us to go out and get a top class defender in though if/when Stones does leave.

Bonucci has been good since 2009 and played alongside barzagli and chiellini in serie a top defensive setup. Hes been the most noticable being the ball player and really top notch since 2011.

In comparison koulibaly has only been getting regular games for 4 years where he was Genk'ss standout player before joining napoli where after one season his value rose from €5mil to €20mil. Last year was his 'breakout season' where he pretty much single handedly was the reason for napoli having a solid defence.

Im not sure after having watched him last season how he cant be called world class...not many could have done what he did every game last season.

if koulibaly was italian hed have been playing alongside bonucci for 1.5 seasons now.

Last year, as you said mate, was his 'breakout' year. He's what, 25? A handful of international caps to his name and one very good season. I think he's a very good player don't get me wrong, but he's not 'proven' world class - or even in the same category of somebody like Bonucci.

I'd be chuffed to bits if we signed him though.

Bonucci, Barzagli and Chiellini are the main men really aren't they? All bring something different but all boss defenders in their own right.

12months ago i read about Koulibaly so watched him a far bit last season and hes like a one man army sometimes. Totally different type of player but reminded me of colin hendry in a way whdn blackburn were getting destroyed he would always turn it on and make them impregnable.

For Italians again last season i highlighted that we should go for Romagnoli as he and Rugani were the next generation to come through and would replace the usual 3 of Juve for Italy. Rugani though was already owned by juve and so impossible to sign and of course romagnoli moved to milan.

Over the course of the season whenever Rugani has stepped in (and regularly played since jan) they have a 30%+ win record than usual. Hes top notch and very strong positionally and its interesting if we have bid €25mil for him.

If we cant get Koulibaly id love us to go for BOTH rugani and romagnoli as they will soon replace baezagli and chiellini for italy and are class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back