• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we had any sense we would sign the two centre backs we need before we sold Stones

Otherwise instantly every club thinks well they've just made 50m so we will ask for more now

we don't need two centre backs mate.

If/when Stones goes, we need a replacement for him. The kids deserve the chance to step up first and I think the likes of Browning, Galloway, Pennington and potentially even Holgate all deserve the chance.

Bonucci?! lol He's quality mate, and theirs no chance he'd come here. Would be a massive upgrade on Stones at this moment.

Koulibaly is decent but actually he's not a guranteed, 'proven' improvement on Stones at all. Bonucci is world class and rightly valued very highly.

If/when Stones goes, we need a replacement for him. The kids deserve the chance to step up first and I think the likes of Browning, Galloway, Pennington and potentially even Holgate all deserve the chance.

Pennington looked really decent. Galloway was really good until I think was pushed too far (sometimes in matches when stamina had gone he had to keep going for the team when should've been rested) and maybe needs to develop physically for the cb role?. Browning has looked good but had an injury problem. I've only seen Holgate a couple of times but maybe(?) needs a bit longer?

So, buy someone or gamble on what those players offer?

Jags isn't getting any younger. Funes Mori is decent but is he really top four quality?

Regards to Pennington he won't make it, no chance. Holgate and Galloway have potential but maybe in a season or two.

So for me if Stones goes we need two. Can't see jags playing much this year, and I don't believe Mori is good enough to take us to the next step

The guy comes to us last year with very little fanfare and many Evertonians dubious about his ability to transition to the PL game. Within a couple of months he's relegated the great John Stones to the bench. All indications are that he's already very comfortable and well-liked by his teammates. He's back from international play having logged more minutes as any other Everton player as a starter for Argentina. I know he picked up a stupid red card in the Derby but that was the same game where Stones abandoned his teammates because he had a belly ache. I think if his name were "Ryan Fletcher-Morris" he'd get a lot more respect and attention around here. As it is, he's got plenty of quality for me.

John is but a pawn in a bigger game. He doesn't want to stay, and his leaving gives us the freedom to develop as we wish.

"Time to say good-bye"
post-40935-Wilfred-Mott-crying-gif-Imgur-1HXe.gif

Koulibaly is decent but actually he's not a guranteed, 'proven' improvement on Stones at all. Bonucci is world class and rightly valued very highly.

Bonucci has been good since 2009 and played alongside barzagli and chiellini in serie a top defensive setup. Hes been the most noticable being the ball player and really top notch since 2011.

In comparison koulibaly has only been getting regular games for 4 years where he was Genk'ss standout player before joining napoli where after one season his value rose from €5mil to €20mil. Last year was his 'breakout season' where he pretty much single handedly was the reason for napoli having a solid defence.

Im not sure after having watched him last season how he cant be called world class...not many could have done what he did every game last season.

if koulibaly was italian hed have been playing alongside bonucci for 1.5 seasons now.

Last edited:

The guy comes to us last year with very little fanfare and many Evertonians dubious about his ability to transition to the PL game. Within a couple of months he's relegated the great John Stones to the bench. All indications are that he's already very comfortable and well-liked by his teammates. He's back from international play having logged more minutes as any other Everton player as a starter for Argentina. I know he picked up a stupid red card in the Derby but that was the same game where Stones abandoned his teammates because he had a belly ache. I think if his name were "Ryan Fletcher-Morris" he'd get a lot more respect and attention around here. As it is, he's got plenty of quality for me.

Agree with the gist of that post.

The one part I take issue with is impugning Stones for leaving the derby due to a "belly ache".

Belly aches are often accompanied by stomach cramps and there is only one place to be when thus afflicted.....the bathroom :blush:

One could not play football with those problems :(

Reckon we do as Jags could struggle this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back