• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a shame he has been so badly mismanaged, the last year hasn't been pleasant for the players or fans, It's not a surprise he wants away. think Koeman would be great for him as well. But if he wants out then no point keeping him against his will.

The quote was, "“The last few weeks at Everton were quite difficult". This at a time with Martinez under pressure and our performances low.
"As a striker, I also depend on the supply of my teammates, but I continue to work hard." This was in reference to his lack of recent goals.
As a striker who wasn't to put himself in the market a lack of goals isn't a particularly strong selling point, so the team's poor form is a reason.

Potential buyers don't need to read papers to understand why they are buying a player, so there really is no need for him to clarify he's not scoring because of lack of service. Perhaps a more dignified route could have been to say "We are not playing well atm".
Comments about wanting to move to a bigger club in champs league are pretty disrespectful also, could have just said "I want to play champs league" and leave out the bigger club line?
The stance of his agent seems to have mellowed and hopefully, he's staying as no one seems to have met the clubs valuation of him. Would be nice to hear him say something like "the club really seems to be changing and I'd like to be part of the journey to champs league"

If it is possible for Stones to stay and it not affect our ability to sign the players that we want/need, I'd be more than happy with that.
However, it would require him to change his mind and withdraw his transfer request.
People being realistic and accepting that if the valuation is met he'll go, does not make them foolish.
Human nature probably means that if you get jilted you'll perhaps think of that person differently, but people pointing out some of the areas that he needs to improve, are the same areas that were pointed out pre transfer request.

If it's all done and dusted with city, then why go through the pantomime of photographs in the new kits. There was also a snippet (when Coleman was being interviewed) where Griffiths says "over there is Ross and John (Stones) doing a bit for BT Sport". I know it was said at the time he's still an Everton player etc etc.. but just seems a waste of time and energy if the deal is already sorted.

no not at all. The kids will play in pre-season and will be assessed. They won't be starting league games if Jags, Mori and whoever Stones' replacement is.

From what Koeman sees in training he'll be able to assess whether they are capable of being fourth choice, or whether he needs to go out and bring another player in.

Little worried that your content with Jags and Mori with the amount of goals we conceded last year

If it's all done and dusted with city, then why go through the pantomime of photographs in the new kits. There was also a snippet (when Coleman was being interviewed) where Griffiths says "over there is Ross and John (Stones) doing a bit for BT Sport". I know it was said at the time he's still an Everton player etc etc.. but just seems a waste of time and energy if the deal is already sorted.

Because he's still an Everton player until he goes. Simple as.

BT and Sky will also just either photoshop him to city, if they haven't already done City's photo shoots

Little worried that your content with Jags and Mori with the amount of goals we conceded last year

To be honest mate that was all down to Roberto, Jags might be getting on a bit now but Mori can certainly play, saying that I do expect a top CB to come back in once Stones goes.

Potential buyers don't need to read papers to understand why they are buying a player, so there really is no need for him to clarify he's not scoring because of lack of service. Perhaps a more dignified route could have been to say "We are not playing well atm".
Comments about wanting to move to a bigger club in champs league are pretty disrespectful also, could have just said "I want to play champs league" and leave out the bigger club line?
The stance of his agent seems to have mellowed and hopefully, he's staying as no one seems to have met the clubs valuation of him. Would be nice to hear him say something like "the club really seems to be changing and I'd like to be part of the journey to champs league"

If it is possible for Stones to stay and it not affect our ability to sign the players that we want/need, I'd be more than happy with that.
However, it would require him to change his mind and withdraw his transfer request.
People being realistic and accepting that if the valuation is met he'll go, does not make them foolish.
Human nature probably means that if you get jilted you'll perhaps think of that person differently, but people pointing out some of the areas that he needs to improve, are the same areas that were pointed out pre transfer request.
I agree that they may have been crass and naive (he's still only relatively young) but I do not perceive them as intentionally disrespectful.

And as you said the stance of his so-called 'super agent' has mellowed, so I'm sure he'd have played a key part in Rom's rhetoric at the time.

I'm not saying Rom is entirely innocent or excusable (and I never have), but I do feel that he was overly lambasted by many of our fan base.

Personally I feel the same situation is arising with Stones and that's not to discredit those who are giving a fair few of the situation as a whole.

As you said, it's not foolish to accept that with the right price he'll go. Nor is it fairly question some areas of his actual ability and future potential.

What I do disagree with however is fans who are openly turning against him and being unfairly critical simply because he may move on.

The transfer request saga was last season, whereby this season he has appeared to be much more dignified in expressing his desire to leave.

I'd love him to stay but wanting a move to a club under the likes Pep or José, playing at the top echelons of the game isn't an unfair desire.

Therefore I'll wish him well and wait with anticipation for how we'll spend the copious money we''ll get for him. I won't be fuming as some are!

I'm firmly of the belief that it was in the most part down to Martinez' tactics mate.

As a team, we couldn't defend. Heck, based on the game today we still can't defend crosses as a unit. Koeman is going to have to put a lot of work ironing out the Martinez-isms. And it's not down to the playing personnel, who are all individually good defenders.

I really don't understand why the lad is still unhappy, His loyalty to us has been absolutely shocking even in this day of age where it means absolutely nothing. He's been desperate to jump ship at the first and second time of interest, I don't get it!

We gave him a platform to perform on when the only other option he had was Wigan, I can understand being disappointed in Martinez's reign although he did give him his chance, that era is over and under Koeman he could really realise his potential.

If it's the opportunity to go to a so called big club then he has all the time in the world to go to anyone of them, under our new leadership we are fully expecting to be joining them ourselves in the near future, if not then the interest will always be there in him.

I'd rather he stayed instead of bringing in Koulibaly but if his head and heart aren't there anymore then let's move on.

I really don't understand why the lad is still unhappy, His loyalty to us has been absolutely shocking even in this day of age where it means absolutely nothing. He's been desperate to jump ship at the first and second time of interest, I don't get it!

We gave him a platform to perform on when the only other option he had was Wigan, I can understand being disappointed in Martinez's reign although he did give him his chance, that era is over and under Koeman he could really realise his potential.

If it's the opportunity to go to a so called big club then he has all the time in the world to go to anyone of them, under our new leadership we are fully expecting to be joining them ourselves in the near future, if not then the interest will always be there in him.

I'd rather he stayed instead of bringing in Koulibaly but if his head and heart aren't there anymore then let's move on.
We may have persuaded him after the 'accidental' request but perhaps he made his mind up completely when he was booed.

We may have persuaded him after the 'accidental' request but perhaps he made his mind up completely when he was booed.

As a professional footballer that is all understandable when it comes to fickle football fans though surely? He must know the fans still love him. I'm sure the fans on the street that he sees are desperate for him to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back