• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Esk today, we have 7 targets. I would think ONE of them would have been able to be able to move a bit faster. Because at this pace I doubt we get more than half in

Think back to three years ago mate, RM's first season when we had to sell one of our best players to the Mancs as well.

We signed three players in an hour on deadline day...

Back to now, there's currently five weeks left in the window, the season is two and a half weeks away from starting.

We've got money in the bank and have been working on deals for players that before we would only be able to get if we tried a cheeky last minute phantom bid or developed ourselves - which is most likely why they haven't been tied up as without European footy it's hard to get them in straight away when you're talking about players of the quality of Witsel, Carvalho etc.

We are also now by the looks of it going to pocket an extra £40mil+ from Stones plus we have one of the most respected manager's currently operating in the PL in charge of the side.

Please, stp worrying in. And pretty sure that Esk said it was 7 options wasn't it? I doubt it will be 7 actual individual targets as much as we have probably been in negotiations with up to 7 players so far - of which most likely only 3 or 4 would be signed.

Look it up! Haha. I actually thought you were taking a dig at Everton and their lonely little trophy in the PL era.

Here's Ronaldo and United

Manchester United[520]
Real Madrid[520]
United have 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 time League Champions, 3 Community Shields since he left.
Yes spent a fortune to do it!

We often accuse want-away players of greed and disloyalty... the truth is they let the hype go to their heads and believe they are entitled to be immediately parachuted into a ready-made trophy challenging team. No one is prepared to stick it out and actually be part of building something particularly if they can jump the queue. Stones thinks he is better than Everton Football Club... he isn't

The only people who believe the hype has gone to stones' head mate is some of the Evertonians who have convinced themselves that it's true...

Put yourself in his shoes.

You've got the chance to treble (or more) your wage, you're 22 and one of the most highly rated youngsters in the game, and the side you play for has finished 11th two years running. Overall your form for them has been brilliant bar a shaky spell in the second half of the most recent season in a team that had underperformed and had lost it with the manager, with the fans also on the back of the manager.

You now also have the chance to get a massive move to a club that has shot back out of obscurity and is now undeniably one of the most high-profile clubs in world football, with the most high-profile manager and one that is going to be challenging for league titles and trophies.

You're a lad from Hemsworth who's grown up in Barnsley supporting Barnsley, not Everton.

What would you do?

As far as I know EFC have not tried to sell Stones.

Quite the reverse.

It is in fact Stones whom has wanted to leave us and has handed in a transfer request which to the best of my knowledge has never been withdrawn.

We resisted Chelsea last season.

And not only did we not sell Stones, we forked out ten million on another CB.

And that was before the takeover which has put us on a sound financial footing at long last.

So I fail to see any logic in your "buy to sell" mantra.

And we reaped the dubious "benefits" of our principled stand by seeing a player lose focus and become a shadow of the player we thought he might turn out to be.

The fact we are getting an extra 15 or 20 million for him a year later is mind boggling.

He has not enhanced his value by his performances for us last season, that's for sure.

There is an old maxim in football.....don't hang on to an unhappy player.

So if he doesn't want to pay for Everton he can do one as far as I am concerned.

Oh.....and I for one would be more than happy to see Mata come through the entrance as Stones goes out the exit.

I would say we gain more than we lose there.

So...pretty much the whole squad has a crap season and the club is a mess with a manager losing his grip and you decide a young player has only played badly and lost focus because of the transfer window shenanigans?

Your bias against Stones is a bit ridículous, as a fairer judgement would be he actually had some very good performances earlier in the season and then sporadically was decent in between some pretty poor displays.

Further context a more fair minded person would mention would be that he is a young player and a very small minority of young players rise to the top when a club is not doing very well and the senior players are having bad seasons.

Whilst football finances have gone crazy, you should probably take some time to think about why his value has not dropped and indeed has gone up and why some people rave about this player and top coaches apparently want him, despite his poor season. Maybe your harsh judgement based on some errors is just a tad off?

I wont view selling him as some indicación we are selling to buy, or that its the same old Everton, but I will be absolutely gutted because this is the most talent, technique and promise I've seen in a player at the club since Rooney. If he leaves he will be making fun of top players in the Champions League under Guardiola, and it shows that some don't realise the talent he has when they seem to think he will be a sub at City. Guardiola gets him and he will be straight in and will get better and better.

Really dreading this. Id honestly ratherr we sign nobody than sell Stones. Thats how bloody good I think he is.

So...pretty much the whole squad has a crap season and the club is a mess with a manager losing his grip and you decide a young player has only played badly and lost focus because of the transfer window shenanigans?

Your bias against Stones is a bit ridículous, as a fairer judgement would be he actually had some very good performances earlier in the season and then sporadically was decent in between some pretty poor displays.

Further context a more fair minded person would mention would be that he is a young player and a very small minority of young players rise to the top when a club is not doing very well and the senior players are having bad seasons.

Whilst football finances have gone crazy, you should probably take some time to think about why his value has not dropped and indeed has gone up and why some people rave about this player and top coaches apparently want him, despite his poor season. Maybe your harsh judgement based on some errors is just a tad off?

I wont view selling him as some indicación we are selling to buy, or that its the same old Everton, but I will be absolutely gutted because this is the most talent, technique and promise I've seen in a player at the club since Rooney. If he leaves he will be making fun of top players in the Champions League under Guardiola, and it shows that some don't realise the talent he has when they seem to think he will be a sub at City. Guardiola gets him and he will be straight in and will get better and better.

Really dreading this. Id honestly ratherr we sign nobody than sell Stones. Thats how bloody good I think he is.

Agree with everything there mate.

Sad to see him go when/if it's done, but if it allows us to build then so be it. We haven't actively looked to sell him, that's clear to me. He wants to go and has made it clear to the club in a respectful manner as well - not by doing what Rom(who I also want us to keep btw) and his reps have done.

Bags of talent and already a class act. He's labelled as 'error prone' yet made less mistakes than all of Smalling, Terry, Cahill, Blind, Koscielny etc who all supposedly had amazing seasons?

he is though, a better team wants him for money we can't turn down, because a better manager thinks he can play for his better team, still not sure how all this reflects on him as a member of his gender though

We could turn it down, financially it would actually be easier for the current Everton regime to reject £54m than the previous one refusing £38m. This is about not wanting an unhappy player stinking the place out for another 12 months. All clubs eventually bow to player power, some cave more easily than others but almost all will give up the fight if a players' still agitating for a move two summers running. Liverpool, Tottenham and United did... we are no different and currently no more or less a 'selling club's than anyone of them.

We could turn it down, financially it would actually be easier for the current Everton regime to reject £54m than the previous one refusing £38m. This is about not wanting an unhappy player stinking the place out for another 12 months. All clubs eventually bow to player power, some cave more easily than others but almost all will give up the fight if a players' still agitating for a move two summers running. Liverpool, Tottenham and United did... we are no different and currently no more or less a 'selling club's than anyone of them.

How do you know he would stink the place out if we rejected all bids? Thats not a given at all in football, its just a cliché.

and as a man?

How do you know he would stink the place out if we rejected all bids? Thats not a given at all in football, its just a cliché.

How do you know he wouldn't? He didn't exactly have a stellar season last year.

I mean...two summers on the bounce he's said he wants out. We can get a massive fee for him even though we don't need to sell.

Good luck to the lad IMO.

How do you know he wouldn't? He didn't exactly have a stellar season last year.

I mean...two summers on the bounce he's said he wants out. We can get a massive fee for him even though we don't need to sell.

Good luck to the lad IMO.
things can change if we start well and sign players, life is water not stone HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Anyway....such a lot of waffle which does not address any of the points I made.

Which were.......that Stones handed in a transfer request last August, well in advance of the "manager losing his grip" and the "whole squad being crap".

That as far as we know, that transfer request was never withdrawn.

That Stones had a season which in any sane market would have seen his transfer fee go down rather than increase by between 15 and 20 million quid.

And that hanging on to unhappy players is not a very sensible policy.

Now.....if you disagree with any of those points that is fine, but if you do care to argue against them it would paint you as a bit of an ostrich because they are pretty self evident.

My advice to you is that Stones is going.....so just get over yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back