• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't think this will exactly prove to a lot of Evertonians that we've shed the traditional Everton 'we need to sell to buy' ethos that's been branded into ourselves over the last 15 years or so..

Would have made a lot more sense getting a big player in before letting Stones go if only to keep nerves calm..

why would it? people would still say that even then it was sell to buy!

it's ignorance mate, ultimately. We need the quick upturn in revenue to be able to sit well within the FFP regulations, and the easiest way to get that is by selling a player - and since Stones wants to join City and Pep then it works out well, plus we'll be getting a record fee most likely.

Shame he's going to go but that's how it goes. Main thing now is keeping hold of Rom at all costs really.

All about perceptions the transfer window, not off to a good start if we sell first. Few blues will lose their heads

I for one am happy to see him go. He is nowhere near good enough defensively - he will be another Rodwell. Poor in the air, poor positioning, too error prone, average defensive ability. Easily replaceable with someone better.

We've really robbed City blind here. £50m!!! The world has gone bloody mad!

I for one am happy to see him go. He is nowhere near good enough defensively - he will be another Rodwell. Poor in the air, poor positioning, too error prone, average defensive ability. Easily replaceable with someone better.

yeah that pep hasn't a clue, almost as daft at that jose lad, what have they ever won with football managerial skills LOL

All about perceptions the transfer window, not off to a good start if we sell first. Few blues will lose their heads

Good.

Thats the spirit.

Keep digging mate...
All clubs sell players. If they didn't it would be pretty boring . You just have to make sure you get a good deal. And 50 million for a young defender who isn't great at defending Is a great deal
Answer my question above cheeky!
I wish Stones all the best if he ever leaves agree with the majority of posters, just asked a few questions on how sold players do well from their clubs once sold ok!

Gutted when he goes. Not even Mata will turn this window around for me. As good a deal as it is for Everton, with a stupid amount of profit, just confirms the same old story, we bring them through and other clubs will just wait and pick them off, same as always. Sell to buy, new owner same old story.

As far as I know EFC have not tried to sell Stones.

Quite the reverse.

It is in fact Stones whom has wanted to leave us and has handed in a transfer request which to the best of my knowledge has never been withdrawn.

We resisted Chelsea last season.

And not only did we not sell Stones, we forked out ten million on another CB.

And that was before the takeover which has put us on a sound financial footing at long last.

So I fail to see any logic in your "buy to sell" mantra.

And we reaped the dubious "benefits" of our principled stand by seeing a player lose focus and become a shadow of the player we thought he might turn out to be.

The fact we are getting an extra 15 or 20 million for him a year later is mind boggling.

He has not enhanced his value by his performances for us last season, that's for sure.

There is an old maxim in football.....don't hang on to an unhappy player.

So if he doesn't want to pay for Everton he can do one as far as I am concerned.

Oh.....and I for one would be more than happy to see Mata come through the entrance as Stones goes out the exit.

I would say we gain more than we lose there.

It has been mentioned regarding how it would appear to prospective signings that we are agreeing to sell one of our best players. Ok...

If you were a top player that we were interested in signing - how would it look to you....that we have agreed to let a top player who has asked to leave the club (despite being under a long contract) to leave on the condition that the asking price is met. Would that say we appear to be decent employers, rather than holding them to their contract against their will? There's two sides to every coin as they say. :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back