• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion of John Stones both as a man and a footballer has dropped through the floor over the last 12 months. We move on!

Why, may I ask?

He did what any right minded person would have done in handing a TR in last year mate (considering Chelsea were offering him CL, London-living, 5x his weekly salary etc...) if you take the blue tinted specs off. After it was declined he didn't strop, or slate us in the press or try and force a move in January (all of which others have done and he could easily have done btw).

He had a great first half of the season, a poor spell, a lengthy injury lay off of two months and then a few games towards the end in a side that had lost faith in the manager (and he put in a superb display in the FA Cup semi).

He's now moving on to one of the best sides in the land with one of (if not the) best manager's currently working to coach him.

All that being said, we'll get a huge fee for him which allows us to up our revenue and hopefully bring in a brilliant replacement.

We do move on, but why people feel the need to slate the lad is beyond me. He's done nothing to warrant it imo.

It has been mentioned regarding how it would appear to prospective signings that we are agreeing to sell one of our best players. Ok...

If you were a top player that we were interested in signing - how would it look to you....that we have agreed to let a top player who has asked to leave the club (despite being under a long contract) to leave on the condition that the asking price is met. Would that say we appear to be decent employers, rather than holding them to their contract against their will? There's two sides to every coin as they say. :coffee:

It won't make a difference.

When Utd sold Ronaldo, it didn't. To use perhaps a more relative example, when Spurs sold Bale, it didn't.

why would it? people would still say that even then it was sell to buy!

it's ignorance mate, ultimately. We need the quick upturn in revenue to be able to sit well within the FFP regulations, and the easiest way to get that is by selling a player - and since Stones wants to join City and Pep then it works out well, plus we'll be getting a record fee most likely.

Shame he's going to go but that's how it goes. Main thing now is keeping hold of Rom at all costs really.
We need to sell a player (or players). Does not and did not have to be the first bit of transfer we did. The STCC isn't calculated until end of the year.

I get that he was almost always going to be 'that' player who went but, like I said, I don't think he should have been the first bit of movement, in/out. Doesn't exactly scream 'nothing will be the same'.

I for one am happy to see him go. He is nowhere near good enough defensively - he will be another Rodwell. Poor in the air, poor positioning, too error prone, average defensive ability. Easily replaceable with someone better.

We've really robbed City blind here. £50m!!! The world has gone bloody mad!

When we inexplicably lost Ken MacNaught to Villa in the summer of '77 it was a much bigger blow than the loss of Stones will be, IMO.

I think we might have sustained our title challenge to the very end in 77/78 happen Gordon had kept Ken.

Yes I was guessing answers please?
Also the players sold how many trophies did the win with their new clubs as comparisons?

Look it up! Haha. I actually thought you were taking a dig at Everton and their lonely little trophy in the PL era.

Here's Ronaldo and United

Manchester United[520]
Real Madrid[520]
United have 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 time League Champions, 3 Community Shields since he left.

I for one am happy to see him go. He is nowhere near good enough defensively - he will be another Rodwell. Poor in the air, poor positioning, too error prone, average defensive ability. Easily replaceable with someone better.

We've really robbed City blind here. £50m!!! The world has gone bloody mad!

I know, it comes down to opinions, but my word if you can't see the talent (and defensive talent, btw) that the lad has at his disposal then I'm not sure footy is for you?

Yes, improvements need to be made, but he's 22! He's a class act, he oozes it. He strolls around the pitch not looking arsed because in all seriousness he doesn't have to be - it's what makes him so good.

Please, I implore you to check back to this thread from Sept to December last year. I bet it's all praise for him. He was outstanding. A shaky spell of form in a team that had lost all faith in its manager shouldn't change that.

Hope he goes on to become the player he quite clearly has the potential to be at City. Everton fans don't deserve nice things sometimes the way we take stuff for granted tbh...

I do think we can replace him btw, but you're making out like he's Jonny chuffing Evans...

We need to sell a player (or players). Does not and did not have to be the first bit of transfer we did. The STCC isn't calculated until end of the year.

I get that he was almost always going to be 'that' player who went but, like I said, I don't think he should have been the first bit of movement, in/out. Doesn't exactly scream 'nothing will be the same'.

But we've tried to do the deals mate - by the sounds of it we've been doing all in our power to get a certain Belgian midfielder in for weeks - and it was his reps that have stalled not us!

What, we should have dropped off chasing our primary targets just to save face?

When we inexplicably lost Ken MacNaught to Villa in the summer of '77 it was a much bigger blow than the loss of Stones will be, IMO.

I think we might have sustained our title challenge to the very end in 77/78 happen Gordon had kept Ken.
No one likes to sell, but 50,000 plus if he goes maybe VFM only time will tell, I agree with your post above, I feel Stones is pushing to move , but then again last season he was too?
Maybe Koeman does not rate him, and can rebuild, or it will go towards our new Stadia?

Look it up! Haha. I actually thought you were taking a dig at Everton and their lonely little trophy in the PL era.

Here's Ronaldo and United

Manchester United[520]
Real Madrid[520]
United have 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 time League Champions, 3 Community Shields since he left.
Ok let's have the other two clubs who sold star players with data please Liverpool and Spurs haha!

But we've tried to do the deals mate - by the sounds of it we've been doing all in our power to get a certain Belgian midfielder in for weeks - and it was his reps that have stalled not us!

What, we should have dropped off chasing our primary targets just to save face?
According to Esk today, we have 7 targets. I would think ONE of them would have been able to be able to move a bit faster. Because at this pace I doubt we get more than half in

can you expand on this point please, genuinely interested in what the modern blue expects of other males

We often accuse want-away players of greed and disloyalty... the truth is they let the hype go to their heads and believe they are entitled to be immediately parachuted into a ready-made trophy challenging team. No one is prepared to stick it out and actually be part of building something particularly if they can jump the queue. Stones thinks he is better than Everton Football Club... he isn't

We often accuse want-away players of greed and disloyalty... the truth is they let the hype go to their heads and believe they are entitled to be immediately parachuted into a ready-made trophy challenging team. No one is prepared to stick it out and actually be part of building something particularly if they can jump the queue. Stones thinks he is better than Everton Football Club... he isn't
he is though, a better team wants him for money we can't turn down, because a better manager thinks he can play for his better team, still not sure how all this reflects on him as a member of his gender though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back