• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
They pay hard earned money to watch the professionals do what they're good at.

In that instance, John Stones was doing what he was good at. He didn't mess up, he won the free-kick. The fan reaction (in that circumstance) was stupid, IMO.

If it was Jags, or flappy Funes or chuffing Hibbo doing it yeh, i'd have been worried, but Stones in those situations is composed and knows he has the ability. Let him get on with it. Once it cost us vs Swansea, (and again Howard played an equally as large part in that cock up) he learnt his lesson and didn't do it again.

He's 22. He was 21 at the time.

If he trends like most other defenders, he won't be in his prime for about 6 years. It's scary how good he's gonna be.
I don't doubt he has great ability, never said anything different.

Didn't a slack pass gift the reds their third at anfield?

It kick-started the move before the one they scored from I believe.

tbh though I've wiped that game from all memory. abysmal performance from everybody involved and the nail in RM's coffin.

For what it's worth, three days later Stones was the only Everton player to step up and be counted in the semi-final. That often gets conveniently ignored how utterly superb he was that day.

that's what I meant by the initial error mate. he should have cleared it but didn't. From then on he'd have been better off trusting himself to get out of the pickle he'd put himself in as he did vs Spurs, but I think the incident with the crowd effected both parties and that swayed him towards trusting Howard.

Yes, he under-hit the pass, but there's no way that should have resulted in Howard doing what he did either.

I get that but do you think he should be trying to take players on in his own box? Personally, I'd rather see us defend a throw in. Looked like the Park End thought similar.

My main thing is with Stones though - even when he came on the other night - how many players (not just defenders) do you see do what he does?

We genuinely have started taking it for granted how much he can have a positive effect on our play.

Under Koeman I do think he could have improved a lot (he's already good as it is), but it ultimately appears that may not happen. You never know though...

I get that but do you think he should be trying to take players on in his own box? Personally, I'd rather see us defend a throw in. Looked like the Park End thought similar.

Last year we defended worst from throw ins and set-pieces than anyone else mate. I'd have rather Stones take the bloody risk!

And btw, 'booting it out for a throw in' really doesn't always work. Sides can easily get the ball back in play quickly - it's hiw the RS won in the lg cup vs Stoke, when Shawcross for no reason hoofed a ball out and the RS quickly got it back in play. If you're gonna get rid, clear it upfield.

My main thing is with Stones though - even when he came on the other night - how many players (not just defenders) do you see do what he does?

We genuinely have started taking it for granted how much he can have a positive effect on our play.

Under Koeman I do think he could have improved a lot (he's already good as it is), but it ultimately appears that may not happen. You never know though...

He is good, my concerns have been regarding his positional sense and lack of ability to beat the opposition in his own box. Yeah we were crap at that in general but despite this fantastic ability I have yet to see the consistency that warrants the 50 mill price tag. Maybe I'm too old school but for me you need to be doing it at a consistent level week in week out. For example as much as I can't stand John Terry the guy was a rock in Chelsea's defence for years and it's all about consistency. Right now for John it's all about 'He could be one of the best...." based on what he currently has in his locker. I agree Koeman could teach him a lot and to be honest I'm baffled that he doesn't want the opportunity to learn from one of the best. It's his career though and therefore his choice, I am just not sure though whether he is going to be as successful as he could have been if he had stayed under Koeman's stewardship. I mean until a few years ago who the bloody hell were City and even now the money they have spent is scandalous.

He is good, my concerns have been regarding his positional sense and lack of ability to beat the opposition in his own box. Yeah we were crap at that in general but despite this fantastic ability I have yet to see the consistency that warrants the 50 mill price tag. Maybe I'm too old school but for me you need to be doing it at a consistent level week in week out. For example as much as I can't stand John Terry the guy was a rock in Chelsea's defence for years and it's all about consistency. Right now for John it's all about 'He could be one of the best...." based on what he currently has in his locker. I agree Koeman could teach him a lot and to be honest I'm baffled that he doesn't want the opportunity to learn from one of the best. It's his career though and therefore his choice, I am just not sure though whether he is going to be as successful as he could have been if he had stayed under Koeman's stewardship. I mean until a few years ago who the bloody hell were City and even now the money they have spent is scandalous.

It's his going rate. Why fret about it is my point of view? Let them pay it!

His defending will improve. Not many 22 year olds are as good defensively as him as it is or anywhere near it mate.

We as EFC fans take it for granted how good the lad is already and want to see the improvement almost overnight, but he's got another 10 years at the top, easy.

And well, he's getting the opportunity to learn from one of the best manager's of the last decade in Pep mate, as much as I think RK could improve him as well.

It's his going rate. Why fret about it is my point of view? Let them pay it!

His defending will improve. Not many 22 year olds are as good defensively as him as it is or anywhere near it mate.

We as EFC fans take it for granted how good the lad is already and want to see the improvement almost overnight, but he's got another 10 years at the top, easy.

And well, he's getting the opportunity to learn from one of the best manager's of the last decade in Pep mate, as much as I think RK could improve him as well.
I don't think he will end up as a defender personally. Midfield for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back