• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could well be.
Could well be unhappy at contract talks. Who knows.

He has been awful since coming back in tho.
Agree he hasn't been playing at his best, however up to now he has been unusually consistent for a young player.

When CBs have a dip in form it can be even more visible than elsewhere on the pitch - one reason why there are few managers who trust youngsters there.

I was vociferously opposed to any deal that would have seen Stones go to Chelsea and hope to god he stays at Everton for many years to come. But there is something amiss in the style of his play that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like he wants to play the game just one way all the time, cool under pressure, never hurried, a bit arrogant, foot on the ball stuff even if he realises that he should be better off going in closer, harder and quicker or clearing a ball from danger. He can do the ugly sweaty stuff but it like he has decided he doesn't want to. I wonder in time, whether three at the back with wingbacks pushed up would suit Stones' style/approach better, giving him more licence to have space on the ball?

Well this weekend shows what a horrible move the Chelsea one would have been. He's entitled to a couple of slack games coming back from injury but big chance he'd be getting chunk of the blame for everything going wrong at Stamford Bridge if he was doing it there

I agree with people saying that he is just having a dip.
He is a young guy and wont be able to be as consistent as we expect him to be.
On his game he is class and if not, he is still a good player. Just saw the bit of naivety a young player can have today.

Rather than analysing every single part of his game, including body language, demeanour and whether he smiles or not. Let's just put his poor form to the fact he's a young lad playing without his usual centre back partner.

The lad's still boss and will come good again.

He was made up when Naismith scored vs Chelsea, huge beaming smile.

Seemed off colour since coming back from injury - perhaps it is still troubling him a bit?

....I think there are issues over his revised contract that might be impacting him on the pitch. He's tied up on a long term deal with an offer on the table with significantly increased terms. He's losing a small fortune not signing it and discussions might have stalled over a release clause.

This isn't an informed view but might explain his lacklustre form.

Also don't forget that before his injury he was looking even better than last season. Of all players he's allowed a dip.

....I think there are issues over his revised contract that might be impacting him on the pitch. He's tied up on a long term deal with an offer on the table with significantly increased terms. He's losing a small fortune not signing it and discussions might have stalled over a release clause.

This isn't an informed view but might explain his lacklustre form.
Hopefully whatever it is that is affecting him will get resolved soon. Only one more game before the international break and it might do John good to get away for a couple of weeks, at least we don't have to worry too much about Cahill waxing lyrical about how fun it is to play for Chelsea ;)

Young players can be erratic, and Stones is a young player.

I think that it may be a delayed reaction to the summer trauma. At the time he was playing on adrenalin and hysteria.
Now, the season has settled down and he is having a dip in form.
There is nothing to indicate that his poor form is because he is unhappy, more a symptom of a young player maybe getting too many games amidst unrealistic expectations.

He likes to chances and more often than not bails out out of trouble. However he needs a steady presence/last ditch guy to be partnered with to bail him out the occasional mistake that would happen to anyone who plays the game like he does. So being partnered with Funes probably isn't the ideal situtation given that Funes even tries more crazy #$%^ than Stones does.

Watched the highlight of the Defoe goal again. It was just an absolutely sick 1st touch by JD. Strikers who have 150+ career goals are sometimes gonna score boss goals against you. It would be like blaming the SLAND defenders for our final goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back