• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was vociferously opposed to any deal that would have seen Stones go to Chelsea and hope to god he stays at Everton for many years to come. But there is something amiss in the style of his play that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like he wants to play the game just one way all the time, cool under pressure, never hurried, a bit arrogant, foot on the ball stuff even if he realises that he should be better off going in closer, harder and quicker or clearing a ball from danger. He can do the ugly sweaty stuff but it like he has decided he doesn't want to. I wonder in time, whether three at the back with wingbacks pushed up would suit Stones' style/approach better, giving him more licence to have space on the ball?
The thing about that horrific Defoe goal though was that it didn't need clearing from danger, there was no danger if he'd have done a basic thing like cast an eye behind him. He'd have then just needed to have intercepted and play it out from there. There should have been no danger whatsoever - but he fell asleep.

I think if Jagielka was fit he drops to the bench and we go with Funes Mori and Jagielka. He needs a reality check.

The thing about that horrific Defoe goal though was that it didn't need clearing from danger, there was no danger if he'd have done a basic thing like cast an eye behind him. He'd have then just needed to have intercepted and play it out from there. There should have been no danger whatsoever - but he fell asleep.

I think if Jagielka was fit he drops to the bench and we go with Funes Mori and Jagielka. He needs a reality check.

Agree completely.

....I think there are issues over his revised contract that might be impacting him on the pitch. He's tied up on a long term deal with an offer on the table with significantly increased terms. He's losing a small fortune not signing it and discussions might have stalled over a release clause.

This isn't an informed view but might explain his lacklustre form.

was thinking the same thing ... plus still looking for his best form following injury.

Still a young man with a dream of a future waiting for him.

Seems like opposing forwards have cottoned on to his trick of letting the ball run across his body, Defoe obviously and also the sub in the second half caught him out similarly down the right side of our penalty area.

Seems like opposing forwards have cottoned on to his trick of letting the ball run across his body, Defoe obviously and also the sub in the second half caught him out similarly down the right side of our penalty area.

Some might argue that's why he requires Jagielka alongside him, but it's just sloppy defending. No other player should have to anticipate a mistake over a simple task like he had to complete and correct it for him. There needs to be urgency at all times, and he's looking like a player who thinks he can walk through a match just now. He cant.

I really think playing without a senior CB next to him is meaning he's making more mistakes than normal. You can sometimes see Jags scream at him to boot it clear and without that he's overplaying a bit.

Thought he was poor today. Needs an older head alongside him because against a proper strike force we will be in trouble.

The lad has to do his learning at the sharp end. Most defenders his age would be out on loan somewhere learning his trade. Must admit he looked very lackadaisical today.

The lad has to do his learning at the sharp end. Most defenders his age would be out on loan somewhere learning his trade. Must admit he looked very lackadaisical today.

Absolutely mate. He's going to have spells of 5-6 games on the spin where he looks crap and the simple reason for that is because he's still a kid in one of the most important areas of the field. Same with Funes Mori.

It's frustrating of course as we tend to get punished by our own lapses of concentration but it's just how it is - they learn on the job and will be better for it.

Think Jags being out injured could work beneficial for him in the long run. No doubt he'll learn from these kind of mistakes and use them to better his game. Don't forget he's still a young lad. Most defenders his age play reserve team football or are loaned out to lower league teams.

Quite impressed with him today, not the mistakes he made but the way he reacted to them. Didnt let them get to him but kept his mind on the game. A lot of players would have hid and played hoof ball, he didnt. Kept his cool - form is temporary , class is permanent

I think we'll see far more mistakes from Stones before we ever see the top player he should become, as lets face it he's a young player and young players make mistakes.
I'm actually not a fan of him and Jagielka together, just don't think they fit so really hoping Stones and Mori create some sort of partnership in Jagielka's absence.

I actually think he didn't fall asleep seeing it again. He appears to be trying to do something eye-catchingly spectacular, like dummy and make the opposition player look a goose.
Perhaps that magnificent freedom that Roberto is happy to let the young players go out their with?
Needs to pick his moments though as you pointed out. Should have been an easy intercept there. He ended up looking the goose instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back