John Textor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy makes me nervous.

Better than no one, but think he'll be a meddler, trying to control signings with the multi-club model and continue with the frequent manager hiring and firing (not based on much, just a hunch).

I think we need a sensible owner to come in and bring some stability, long term planning and progression for the team and the rest of the club.

Great that he's publicly stated what a good club we would be to purchase and hopefully there will be plenty more interest in taking us over.
It's more than hunch as he seems to be very inclined to sack managers looking at his ownership of other clubs like watford levels

From the comment section from a recent Toffee TV interview with Henry Winter

"Botafogo fan here.

3 years ago, I was not optimistic about the future of Botafogo. I have been a supporter for 40 years, and the last 20 have been extremely difficult. We had a debt that was approaching 1 billion Reais (around 200 million pounds). No training ground, becoming a yo-yo club, no youth academy to speak of, television and sponsorship money being seized to pay debts, the list goes on.

When I first heard of Textor in 2022 when he bought Botafogo, I have to be honest and say that I wasn't very excited about him, but I figured that our situation couldn't get any worse. He quickly changed things by sacking the manager at the time, and bringing Luis Castro, the guy that would be responsible for overhauling the squad. We had been promoted from the second division and had an extremely weak squad to compete in the first division.

The first 6 months were difficult, we did poorly in the state championship, and lingered at the bottom of the table. With a few key signings, the second half of the season was considerably better, and we finished in a comfortable 11th place. Last year, with more investment we led the league for the majority of the season but after losing Castro to Saudi Arabia, the team lost its north and we finished in 5th. The lack of leadership was crucial to the performance on the field.

The core of the team was maintained for this season and more players were brought in to strengthen and already competitive team. A new manager was also appointed, Artur Jorge from Braga, and the team seems to be on the right track. We have qualified to the round of 16 of the Libertadores and we are doing good in the Brazilian League.

With Textor, our debt situation was brought under control, a big chunk has been paid and another part was renegotiated and is being paid in instalments. The administrative side of things was also greatly improved. From custodial to marketing, everything was improved and transformed in a proper business. We still don't have a proper training ground for the size of our club, but we have one now. Our stadium is also receiving some needed upgrades.

Is Textor perfect? Absolutely not. He makes mistakes. When Castro left, he brought Bruno Lage. He fired him after 3 months. We had 1 interim manager and they finally signed Tiago Nunes (that would be sacked after showing a complete lack of competence during the state championship). Textor admitted that he made a mistake on sacking Lage, and not giving him the proper support he needed.

I think he has the right intentions, and wants the best for all the clubs he owns. He is very involved with Botafogo and the fans love him.

Lyon had a rocky start, but things got better for the second half of the season after some adjustments. The Belgium team is a disaster. I am not sure about that one. I don't follow Belgium football to have an opinion. And Palace he doesn't really call the shots there.

One important point about being part of this multi-club thing.

Everton would benefit from having access to the huge South American market via Botafogo. Yes, Lyon is part of it too, but the Premier League has a way bigger appeal to a lot of the players in Brazil nowadays. As a Botafogo fan I am fully aware that a player that explodes there, will inevitably go to Europe one day. It is just a fact and that doesn't bother me that much.

I like Everton, I think we (Botafogo fans and Everton fans) have a lot in common. We have a rich past, but a very poor recent history. We have passionate fans, we suffer (a lot), we have rivals across town that are more successful and richer. We are loyal fans, on good days but specially on the hard ones. The hard times really show how passionate our fans are.

I hope Everton can have their ownership situation sorted out soon. Be Textor or be someone else, I do wish all the best for Everton. You all deserve better. You all deserve a football club that can fight at the top of the table.

Boa Sorte! "
I must say, that's a reassuring read.

"Botafogo fan here.

3 years ago, I was not optimistic about the future of Botafogo. I have been a supporter for 40 years, and the last 20 have been extremely difficult. We had a debt that was approaching 1 billion Reais (around 200 million pounds). No training ground, becoming a yo-yo club, no youth academy to speak of, television and sponsorship money being seized to pay debts, the list goes on.

When I first heard of Textor in 2022 when he bought Botafogo, I have to be honest and say that I wasn't very excited about him, but I figured that our situation couldn't get any worse. He quickly changed things by sacking the manager at the time, and bringing Luis Castro, the guy that would be responsible for overhauling the squad. We had been promoted from the second division and had an extremely weak squad to compete in the first division.

The first 6 months were difficult, we did poorly in the state championship, and lingered at the bottom of the table. With a few key signings, the second half of the season was considerably better, and we finished in a comfortable 11th place. Last year, with more investment we led the league for the majority of the season but after losing Castro to Saudi Arabia, the team lost its north and we finished in 5th. The lack of leadership was crucial to the performance on the field.

The core of the team was maintained for this season and more players were brought in to strengthen and already competitive team. A new manager was also appointed, Artur Jorge from Braga, and the team seems to be on the right track. We have qualified to the round of 16 of the Libertadores and we are doing good in the Brazilian League.

With Textor, our debt situation was brought under control, a big chunk has been paid and another part was renegotiated and is being paid in instalments. The administrative side of things was also greatly improved. From custodial to marketing, everything was improved and transformed in a proper business. We still don't have a proper training ground for the size of our club, but we have one now. Our stadium is also receiving some needed upgrades.

Is Textor perfect? Absolutely not. He makes mistakes. When Castro left, he brought Bruno Lage. He fired him after 3 months. We had 1 interim manager and they finally signed Tiago Nunes (that would be sacked after showing a complete lack of competence during the state championship). Textor admitted that he made a mistake on sacking Lage, and not giving him the proper support he needed.

I think he has the right intentions, and wants the best for all the clubs he owns. He is very involved with Botafogo and the fans love him.

Lyon had a rocky start, but things got better for the second half of the season after some adjustments. The Belgium team is a disaster. I am not sure about that one. I don't follow Belgium football to have an opinion. And Palace he doesn't really call the shots there.

Everton would benefit from having access to the huge South American market via Botafogo. Yes, Lyon is part of it too, but the Premier League has a way bigger appeal to a lot of the players in Brazil nowadays. As a Botafogo fan I am fully aware that a player that explodes there, will inevitably go to Europe one day. It is just a fact and that doesn't bother me that much.

I like Everton, I think we (Botafogo fans and Everton fans) have a lot in common. We have a rich past, but a very poor recent history. We have passionate fans, we suffer (a lot), we have rivals across town that are more successful and richer. We are loyal fans, on good days but specially on the hard ones. The hard times really show how passionate our fans are.

I hope Everton can have their ownership situation sorted out soon. Be Textor or be someone else, I do wish all the best for Everton. You all deserve better. You all deserve a football club that can fight at the top of the table.

Boa Sorte! "
I like this…..

Thought this was interesting - sounds like Glasners appointment as Palace was driven by Textor?

View attachment 258780
Yeah, when the deal with Glasner was about to complete, stuff appeared from friendly journos claiming that Textor had already ear marked him for Lyon. Reasons for his non appointment there were variously “he couldn’t speak French” and “the time wasn’t right”. All a bit limp. Textor does like a bit of good PR (who doesn’t?) and this sort of soft pap appears occasionally.
Remember he wants to leave Palace because he wants control. You would think getting his man to be manager would placate him….unless it was baloney.

Decent interview just released on ToffeeTV with Palace fan Dan Cook (HLTCO) about the current Textor / board situation.

One thing I haven’t seen asked / discussed… is there a particular reason why the other two American’s at Palace (Harris and Blitzer) haven’t bought Textor’s shares off him? If those two are more aligned with Parish’s way of doing things, wouldn’t it be in those three’s interests (Parish, Harris and Blitzer) for the additional shares to be held amongst themselves?

I know someone new coming in could only acquire 45% so would only have a minority anyway, so is it a case that those 3 don’t really care who buys them, as nothing will really change regardless of who buys them?

@Alan Whittle any idea mate?

Edit: it looks like between the 3 Americans and Parish, they hold 75% of the shares. Who owns the other 25%? Is the 25% made up of small minority private holders, similar to at Everton? Has Textor tried to acquire his needed 6% extra from that pool?

Decent interview just released on ToffeeTV with Palace fan Dan Cook (HLTCO) about the current Textor / board situation.

One thing I haven’t seen asked / discussed… is there a particular reason why the other two American’s at Palace (Harris and Blitzer) haven’t bought Textor’s shares off him? If those two are more aligned with Parish’s way of doing things, wouldn’t it be in those three’s interests (Parish, Harris and Blitzer) for the additional shares to be held amongst themselves?

I know someone new coming in could only acquire 45% so would only have a minority anyway, so is it a case that those 3 don’t really care who buys them, as nothing will really change regardless of who buys them?

Edit: it looks like between the 3 Americans and Parish, they hold 75% of the shares. Who owns the other 25%? Is the 25% made up of small minority private holders, similar to at Everton? Has Textor tried to acquire his needed 6% extra from that pool?
Dan Cook is a top bloke and HLTCO is well respected by Palace fans & across Football.
The shareholding as I understand it is;
Textor 45% (previously 40%)
Harris & Blitzer 10% each (previously 18% each)
Parish 10% ( previously 25%)
The balance are a number of minor shareholders with none holding over 9%.
I suspect at sometime Textor would have at least explored the possibility of acquiring a majority stake but would then have been lumbered with finding someone to run the club with all the attendant risk. The restructuring and giving him some more shares helped to head this off.Parish, well liked by the fans runs the club well and the fan base would have been in uproar. A risk of relegation would mean 80 or so % of not very much being worth a lot less than 45% of what we already have. Textor, as principally a money man, gets this. I dare say there is a shareholder agreement setting out very clearly who can sell to who on the board in order to protect the status quo.

Dan Cook is a top bloke and HLTCO is well respected by Palace fans & across Football.
The shareholding as I understand it is;
Textor 45% (previously 40%)
Harris & Blitzer 10% each (previously 18% each)
Parish 10% ( previously 25%)
The balance are a number of minor shareholders with none holding over 9%.
I suspect at sometime Textor would have at least explored the possibility of acquiring a majority stake but would then have been lumbered with finding someone to run the club with all the attendant risk. The restructuring and giving him some more shares helped to head this off.Parish, well liked by the fans runs the club well and the fan base would have been in uproar. A risk of relegation would mean 80 or so % of not very much being worth a lot less than 45% of what we already have. Textor, as principally a money man, gets this. I dare say there is a shareholder agreement setting out very clearly who can sell to who on the board in order to protect the status quo.
Cheers mate. That makes sense. Yeah Dan came across really well. I do enjoy some of the HLTCO stuff I see on YT

textor is ours.

Yeah, when the deal with Glasner was about to complete, stuff appeared from friendly journos claiming that Textor had already ear marked him for Lyon. Reasons for his non appointment there were variously “he couldn’t speak French” and “the time wasn’t right”. All a bit limp. Textor does like a bit of good PR (who doesn’t?) and this sort of soft pap appears occasionally.
Remember he wants to leave Palace because he wants control. You would think getting his man to be manager would placate him….unless it was baloney.
It was reported last summer that glasner was going to Lyon so it’s definitely not just made up after the event. Getting his man to be manager and him doing well might just have made him even more convinced that he should have more of a say over what happens.

"Botafogo fan here.

Boa Sorte! "

Good find that, Mikey. Basically, anyone who just has a clue how to run a modern football club would improve us tenfold. Nice to read he's learned from mistakes and also that he is passionate in engaging with his clubs.

There are a lot of alarm bells for me. You dont get to change managers in this league with our squad and stay up - it is ruthless.
Except the only evidence we have of that shows that we did stay up.

I’m not advocating for a change in manager, but the logical conclusion of your argument is that Dyche is the only manager in the world capable of keeping us up.

That isn’t true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back