John Textor

My concerns with Textor.

• He talks too much and he talks to the wrong outlets - reminds me of Moshiri with Jim White.

• Meddling. Who is he to be telling DOF who they'll sign and managers who they should play? He's doing this publicly on social media, and in prepared interviews.

• Multi club model. I recognise the benefits, but he seems directly involved/key decisions and his time isn't infinite.

• He evidently feels Everton is above him and despite being 90% confident of taking over, he admits he still thinks a better person can come in. If he thinks that, shouldn't we?

• He was still trying to buy Crystal Palace with new offers after agreeing to exclusivity with Moshiri/Everton. He then issued what was, in my view, a prompt, misleading statement afterwards to deflect.

• What he says, doesn't translate to what his actions are. Just one example - in March this year; "I don't want to run [Palace] one day. I don't even like running the clubs I have"

Some of this concerns me, but not all of it.

• Yeah - He's a talker and it's not just this instance. He may have reason for going public at the moment, but his track record suggests he likes the sound of his own voice. It'll get irritating, but it's no reason to suggest incompetence.
  • Think that you've interpreted what he said there very differently to me. My take on it was that he wants a coach who will be comfortable coaching players who come to the club through the multi-club system, which makes perfect sense. In this model we will go out and buy our own players, but you'd expect to see us also benefitting from the better players at Botafogo and the Belgian club he has. I took this as more of a general point that he will need a coach who's going to embrace that.
  • Hadn't really considered this, but it's unlikely a group with hundreds of millions invested isn't going to have a disaster recovery plan if he got knocked over by a limousine one day. He does seem to be the voice and the one making the calls, but we don't know what the structure is behind him.
  • A "better person" isn't how I viewed that, I thought he meant that Moshiri could still get a better offer.
  • I don't think any of us should be under any illusions that we were his 1st choice. If he'd got his way, he'd be calling the shots at Palace and I don't blame him for exhausting those avenues before he decided to try and buy us. He wants an English club. Palace were his 1st choice, we are 2nd choice. There's no real shame in that given we weren't available when he first bought into Palace and it would make sense for him to follow that through in the first instance.
  • Yeah, as per he first point, he talks a lot and by virtue of talking a lot, everything you say is on the record and is used as a stick to beat you with when circumstances/opinions change. I don't particularly like my owner/chairman to be as visible as he is - whether he's competent or not or doing a good job or not, the more you're on the record, the more ammunition people have when there's a negative spin to put on things.

Is it calculated by subtracting the debt vs the value of his assets

Debt from the value of the assets of the companies (equity).

So if Everton are worth 700, and have 600 in debt, the asset (stock) that Moshiri (I know he doesn't hold 100%) holds is worth 100 million. It's not worth 700 million.

Everton's assets are not Moshiri's assets, they're Everton's assets.

Debt from the value of the assets of the companies (equity).

So if Everton are worth 700, and have 600 in debt, the asset (stock) that Moshiri (I know he doesn't hold 100%) holds is worth 100 million. It's not worth 700 million.

Everton's assets are not Moshiri's assets, they're Everton's assets.
Surely we can figure out what Textor is worth roughly then using that. Most that stuff is public isn't it?

If he has made the comments about brining a different profile of player to the club are correct, that’s a concern. The DoF should be doing that, not rthe investor / owner. He’s entitled to say what type of football he wants his new acquisition to play, just not the identity of the footballers to play that style
to me it sounds like he has Thelwell ear already, most of the signings made and rumoured to be pursued are not Dyche players IMO. If os all well and good as there is a succession policy in place.

Why are you so against him? the clubs on its knees we need change now,
Is he better than 777?
If he better than what we’ve got now?

I'm not.

I've spoken favourably of him early days.

Every point I've made are all a result of his recent actions.

So let's call a spade, a spade.

I suspect you was all for 777 a while back "because there's nobody else!!!"

Nobody wanting to takeover Everton should get a free ride.

Just seems to be a lot of red flags and areas of concern about him.

He seems to operate entirely as an individual. To my knowledge, he does not appear to have a corporate group behind him that he could draw on for expertise and personnel in particular areas. This was a strength of The Friedkin Group in my opinion. You can't replicate a car distribution and dealership structure onto a football club, of course not, but they are seasoned business people with ways of doing things that are established and successful and to an extent, that can convert to a sports franchise.

I would be interested to know what people he appointed at Lyon, the CEO/CFO, and board members. Even then he appears to want to be the public face of the club. Has he appointed qualified people with expertise and allowed them to get on with their jobs? Or is it yes-men and women?

He was talking in the interview about wanting a lead-in period for the January window when the clear position seems to be that if there is any activity, it will be players leaving. He seemed to be talking about spending that could see us move up the table. I don't know where that's come from. We don't have the legroom. I could see him as the type that would say in advance that PSR regulations can take a hike because they are unfair and fraudulent. That would only lead to disaster in all likelihood.

The guy seems eminently likeable and the sort you could have a pint with but that amounts to nothing of substance. I do think by the way he is now talking that he must be genuinely confident of completing a takeover. I don't put him in the same bracket as 777 or nothing near it, but for me he raises far more questions than answers.
I love how you start with red flags then continue to show no knowledge of the situation, or even any will to search out the info you want. If you want to know the execs at Lyon, look it up. You should not conflate red flags with your ignorance of the situation.

Surely we can figure out what Textor is worth roughly then using that. Most that stuff is public isn't it?

Eagle Football Group is publicly traded, it's not initially obvious how much of that he owns (through Eagle Football Holdings). I'm sure I could hunt more information down, it seems rather pointless. It does appear that OL was purchased in large part by a bond offering put together by Ares.

And as he's finding out with Crystal Palace, his 45% stake is only worth what others are willing to pay for it, being a private entity that he does not control.

My concerns with Textor.

• He talks too much and he talks to the wrong outlets - reminds me of Moshiri with Jim White.

• Meddling. Who is he to be telling DOF who they'll sign and managers who they should play? He's doing this publicly on social media, and in prepared interviews.

• Multi club model. I recognise the benefits, but he seems directly involved/key decisions and his time isn't infinite.

• He evidently feels Everton is above him and despite being 90% confident of taking over, he admits he still thinks a better person can come in. If he thinks that, shouldn't we?

• He was still trying to buy Crystal Palace with new offers after agreeing to exclusivity with Moshiri/Everton. He then issued what was, in my view, a prompt, misleading statement afterwards to deflect.

• What he says, doesn't translate to what his actions are. Just one example - in March this year; "I don't want to run [Palace] one day. I don't even like running the clubs I have"

100% spot on

Good to see not all people not just lapping it all up too

I'm not.

I've spoken favourably of him early days.

Every point I've made are all a result of his recent actions.

So let's call a spade, a spade.

I suspect you was all for 777 a while back "because there's nobody else!!!"

Nobody wanting to takeover Everton should get a free ride.

Again. Cannot disagree

Don't let anyone try and stop you raising valid points and searching questions

Happens all the time. People trying to silence what they don't want hear

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back