John Textor

Not suggesting he was caught off guard, just that maybe if you put questions to him he will answer them with his honest feelings, regardless of whether he "should". I don't know if that's the case, but my point is it says a lot about modern football that when a guy appears to be communicating openly and without a filter we view that with more suspicion than the veil of silence because bland nothingspeak is what we're so used to.

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't really want to hear what he has to say about the football side. I appreciated Thelwell's communication at the end of last season, he was sharing information directly related to his job. And a large portion of Dyche's job is sitting in front of a camera, of course his answers will be vanilla. Media-wise, he's the most visible figure at the club and always will be (the manager, not Dyche himself).

Even in that interview, Textor contradicts himself by saying he hasn't even thought about the manager, then effectively outlines what Dyche needs to do to keep his job. Mind you, the guy not only does not own Everton, he owns another competing club...

I think he's a bit flippant and speaks like one of us would, which I don't really think is a good thing. The (potential) highest ranking official at the club should show some discretion.

Having said all of that, whatever he provides is much better than what we have now. He has access to capital that the current owner does not, which is what we need. I would have preferred TFG, but I'd also like a billion dollars.

If he has made the comments about brining a different profile of player to the club are correct, that’s a concern. The DoF should be doing that, not rthe investor / owner. He’s entitled to say what type of football he wants his new acquisition to play, just not the identity of the footballers to play that style
The director of football would still do that. He is just identifying that we will/would be shopping in higher circles than we currently are. For example, dyche/thelwell highlight that we need a new right back. Instead of shopping for the £10m player, we’d be looking for a £25m player. He did also touch on the fact he would get too involved in the football side, but I guess that gets overlooked.

He seems like a shoot from the hip kind of guy.

There's at least a chance that it was a speculative punt to request an interview and he said "sure."

I don't think so, but even if it was - I think it's with this in mind;
  • A source with knowledge of the process said Textor had been preparing to float for some time and that the addition of a Premier League club to the group would make Eagle shares far more attractive to potential investors.
^ That's from an article, also this week that spoke about how Everton fans could buy shares if Textor completes a takeover;

Just seems to be a lot of red flags and areas of concern about him.

He seems to operate entirely as an individual. To my knowledge, he does not appear to have a corporate group behind him that he could draw on for expertise and personnel in particular areas. This was a strength of The Friedkin Group in my opinion. You can't replicate a car distribution and dealership structure onto a football club, of course not, but they are seasoned business people with ways of doing things that are established and successful and to an extent, that can convert to a sports franchise.

I would be interested to know what people he appointed at Lyon, the CEO/CFO, and board members. Even then he appears to want to be the public face of the club. Has he appointed qualified people with expertise and allowed them to get on with their jobs? Or is it yes-men and women?

He was talking in the interview about wanting a lead-in period for the January window when the clear position seems to be that if there is any activity, it will be players leaving. He seemed to be talking about spending that could see us move up the table. I don't know where that's come from. We don't have the legroom. I could see him as the type that would say in advance that PSR regulations can take a hike because they are unfair and fraudulent. That would only lead to disaster in all likelihood.

The guy seems eminently likeable and the sort you could have a pint with but that amounts to nothing of substance. I do think by the way he is now talking that he must be genuinely confident of completing a takeover. I don't put him in the same bracket as 777 or nothing near it, but for me he raises far more questions than answers.

Just seems to be a lot of red flags and areas of concern about him.

He seems to operate entirely as an individual. To my knowledge, he does not appear to have a corporate group behind him that he could draw on for expertise and personnel in particular areas. This was a strength of The Friedkin Group in my opinion. You can't replicate a car distribution and dealership structure onto a football club, of course not, but they are seasoned business people with ways of doing things that are established and successful and to an extent, that can convert to a sports franchise.

I would be interested to know what people he appointed at Lyon, the CEO/CFO, and board members. Even then he appears to want to be the public face of the club. Has he appointed qualified people with expertise and allowed them to get on with their jobs? Or is it yes-men and women?

He was talking in the interview about wanting a lead-in period for the January window when the clear position seems to be that if there is any activity, it will be players leaving. He seemed to be talking about spending that could see us move up the table. I don't know where that's come from. We don't have the legroom. I could see him as the type that would say in advance that PSR regulations can take a hike because they are unfair and fraudulent. That would only lead to disaster in all likelihood.

The guy seems eminently likeable and the sort you could have a pint with but that amounts to nothing of substance. I do think by the way he is now talking that he must be genuinely confident of completing a takeover. I don't put him in the same bracket as 777 or nothing near it, but for me he raises far more questions than answers.
There's a fairly substantial senior group involved at Eagle, Textor certainly comes across as a bit of a one man band but maybe the rest are happy for him to be the gobby frontman as long as they are left to do their jobs.

Net worth isn't personal wealth anyway mate. It's the value of his assets etc so they'd be right

The value of his assets (the equities he holds), not value of the assets of his holdings. Big difference. This is what tripped many up with 777, saying they had 13 billion in assets under management.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back