2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you not love me anymore, C?

Jordan Pickford: In games, the pressure is on me more. I feel I have to perform

‘Once Everton’s touched you, nothing will be the same,” the late, great Alan Ball once remarked. Ball was talking about the passion of Goodison Park and pride in that royal blue shirt, but also about a sense of identity and duty at Everton that extends beyond matchday, to serving the local community.

There are many ways to judge the size and substance of a club. It is not all about the metrics of performances, results and trophies. It is also about the emotion of a club’s support, their values and their heart. It is about caring for people as Everton do, using the power of football to help the vulnerable and needy.

It is why Jordan Pickford, the Everton goalkeeper, became even more involved in his club’s community work this week. Pickford understands Ball’s sentiments, adding it to the Kevin Ball philosophy of responsibility-taking he acquired growing up in the academy and reserves at Sunderland.

“We had a meeting with the Everton In The Community people this morning [on Wednesday] and they said we have over 40 programmes helping the local community,” Pickford says. “Everton In The Community are changing and saving lives. It’s incredible. They help veterans from the armed forces, people with mental health issues or physical disabilities. I’ve been down to the People’s Hub, next to the stadium, helping out with kids who’ve had tough upbringings and hopefully making them happy. We have to step back and realise what other people are going through.”

Pickford is grounded. During the summer World Cup, MC Tazo, a DJ friend of Pickford’s from his native Wearside, posted a lyrical tribute to “England’s No 1”, celebrating a humble, likeable man so obsessed with dancing that “get the rave on” was a personal mantra and that he never forgot his roots when putting on his boots. “It’s quality. ‘He never forgot his roots, England’s No 1, get the rave on, get the rave on,’ ” Pickford sings. “Listen to the mix . . .”

He’s got one foot in the rave. “It’s mad, isn’t it?” Pickford continues. “When we were younger, where we come from, that [raves] is where we used to go as 12-year-olds. It was brilliant. When I got it, I sent it to my mates on WhatsApp straight away, and everyone’s going, ‘Oh my God you’ve made life now.’ Not that I just saved a penalty against Colombia at the World Cup. But, ‘You’ve made life because of this.’ ”

Pickford never forgets his roots. It is why he fits in so well at Ball’s old club. It is why on Wednesday, revered past players, such as Graeme Sharp, Graham Stuart and Ian Snodin were at Everton’s training base, Finch Farm, engaged in community work, joining Pickford and all members of Marco Silva’s first-team squad. Casting a glance across the main indoor pitch, there was Michael Keane working with the club’s Down’s syndrome team, Ademola Lookman doing a skills session, Theo Walcott encouraging those considering future employment and educational opportunities, and Leighton Baines giving a motivational talk to those struggling with mental health issues. “From the first day here, I felt this club was a family,” Silva observed.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F03167b2c-d890-11e8-926d-96790161a92a.jpg

Pickford was in the middle of this family, this merry hubbub, joining all of Silva’s players in signing a document pledging his support to Everton In The Community. “I’ve been doing a lot of work on numeracy and literacy with the kids,” Pickford says. “Numeracy was the subject I was best at at school. That was the only one I was good at, to be honest.”

The main number in Pickford’s life is, as MC Tazo would agree, England’s No 1 and since returning from the World Cup, he has found intensified attention. “It’s a bit weird. Fans of other teams have been a bit nice to me. I don’t know how long it will last for. Just saying, ‘Well done.’ If they’re being nice, I’ll be nice back. If they’re being horrible, I’m not going to be horrible back.” He takes the rough rebukes with the smooth salutes. “It’s part of being England.

“In games, the pressure’s on me more. I feel I have to perform. More people are watching me, I’m open to more criticism but to be honest it doesn’t really affect me. I’m a down-to-earth lad. On the role-model side, a lot more kids notice me and always say, ‘What a boss penalty save’ [against Colombia] in the World Cup. If I go shopping, I get noticed more, but it’s all nice. It’s part of our job to be friendly, which I am anyway. If they ask for a photo, I’ll never say no.”

As a person, as a player, it’s about community. “As soon as you get carried away, that’s where it starts biting you,” he says. “I was brought up by my parents to work hard. My mum worked at my school, helping kids. My dad left home when he was 15, 16, and became a gamekeeper on Lord Lambton’s estate, the biggest estate up Washington way. That just shows what I’ve come from, the work ethic, taking responsibility, push yourself on.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F35ca389a-d897-11e8-9c20-5eb2e7b96a26.png

Nothing has been handed to Pickford. He was in the Sunderland system early, and loaned out to Conference clubs, such as Darlington and Alfreton Town, and then up the tiers with Burton Albion, Carlisle United, Bradford City and Preston North End. He played in all five divisions. “I feel old now,” Pickford says. “I needed the challenge. The loan moves were great, playing with men who were playing for their families, for mortgages. I was this young lad, raw at the time, and they’re thinking, ‘Who is he?’ I had to perform.

“I remember my mum and dad standing on the small terrace and watching me at Alfreton. I remember Alfreton’s big slope. The most basic ground was one I can still picture, Braintree in Essex, very bog standard, a beach in my goal. A cold Tuesday night, typical old-school Conference football, hardly any fans behind the goal. Quality! Southport was the one where I heard a lot from their fans. One of the Southport fans said, ‘Your grandad’s buried under here.’ Cheers mate! You’ve just got to laugh.”

It toughened Pickford up. But then he’s always been tough, ever since throwing himself about on the tarmac in street games with his brother and friends. “You have to be fearless. That’s the good old cliché, you have to be mad to be a goalkeeper. That stays with you, the bottle, the aggression you have to have as a ’keeper, come through bodies, diving, the impact landing on the floor. Mental strength, as well as physical, is a really strong part of my game.”

Does he work with a psychologist?. “No,” he replies dismissively. “That’s why I’m mentally strong. I don’t need one of them, no. I know if I’ve played good or bad. I know how to approach a game.” He’s assertive, constantly communicating with his defence, as heard during England’s recent game behind closed doors against Croatia in Rijeka. Loudly. “I wasn’t too bad was I?” Pickford asks. He nods at mention of him and another Sunderland graduate, Jordan Henderson, lifting the decibel level. “That’s Bally’s stamp coming out on us. Not the language, just leadership really. You know what type of leader Hendo is, and I try and do my best for the team and to help us concentrate.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6449932e-d896-11e8-9c20-5eb2e7b96a26.jpg

He cares passionately about England. “We’ve got such quality. We’ve competition for every spot in the team, which is great for the gaffer’s [Gareth Southgate’s] headache,” he says. “Everyone starting needs to perform because you’ve got someone breathing on you. Winning 3-2 against a leading side like Spain [after Rijeka] was quite a statement. We can win something. We’re playing really good football, defend really well and our set pieces are a threat. I’ve always watched the Euros and World Cups, and you look at Germany when they won in 2014 [the World Cup], their group came from the under-21s [Manuel Neuer, Mesut Özil etc] and went through. We’re doing that.”

After the summer in Russia, Pickford cut short his holiday in Santorini and Mykonos to get back to Everton. “I wanted to play for the new gaffer [Silva]. The gaffer is good, very detailed in what he does, very attack-minded,” he says. After a slowish start, Everton have now won three on the spin, including victory over Crystal Palace last weekend helped by Pickford’s penalty save from Luka Milivojevic. “As he was running up, I decided to go left and saved it as I put a foot up. That’s instinct,” he says.

“I don’t really analyse anybody. I can’t become David De Gea. I was watching him last night [for Manchester United against Juventus] and he was incredible. De Gea has his own style. Jack Butland has his own style. I have my own style. When I was growing up, I looked at Tommy Sorensen, just being a Sunderland fan, and also Peter Schmeichel, a bit mad.”

On Sunday, Pickford heads to Schmeichel’s old home. “It’s always going to be tough going to Old Trafford,” he says. “These are the type of games you grow up as a lad saying, ‘I want to be playing there.’ It’s Man United. They have a lot of talent. If Marcus Rashford gets half a yard he’s got a wonder shot on him. You have to keep him off his right foot. I know Romelu Lukaku’s a powerful lad, and speaking to the lads here they say he’s deadly when he gets a touch in the box, and he’s got a great finish on him, so it’s about how to keep him quiet.

“But we go there believing we can get something. We’ve threats too. Everyone’s finally settling in, momentum’s building. Bernard’s coming in. André [Gomes] has had his first game. Richarlison has been really good, Theo too. Lookman’s coming off the bench, an unbelievable talent. We have a lot of competition, everyone’s pushing each other.” Pickford is ambitious, and wants Everton to push for the Champions League. “It’s great TV. But that’s where Everton want to be in the future. It’s where I want to be.”

Do you not love me anymore, C?

Jordan Pickford: In games, the pressure is on me more. I feel I have to perform

‘Once Everton’s touched you, nothing will be the same,” the late, great Alan Ball once remarked. Ball was talking about the passion of Goodison Park and pride in that royal blue shirt, but also about a sense of identity and duty at Everton that extends beyond matchday, to serving the local community.

There are many ways to judge the size and substance of a club. It is not all about the metrics of performances, results and trophies. It is also about the emotion of a club’s support, their values and their heart. It is about caring for people as Everton do, using the power of football to help the vulnerable and needy.

It is why Jordan Pickford, the Everton goalkeeper, became even more involved in his club’s community work this week. Pickford understands Ball’s sentiments, adding it to the Kevin Ball philosophy of responsibility-taking he acquired growing up in the academy and reserves at Sunderland.

“We had a meeting with the Everton In The Community people this morning [on Wednesday] and they said we have over 40 programmes helping the local community,” Pickford says. “Everton In The Community are changing and saving lives. It’s incredible. They help veterans from the armed forces, people with mental health issues or physical disabilities. I’ve been down to the People’s Hub, next to the stadium, helping out with kids who’ve had tough upbringings and hopefully making them happy. We have to step back and realise what other people are going through.”

Pickford is grounded. During the summer World Cup, MC Tazo, a DJ friend of Pickford’s from his native Wearside, posted a lyrical tribute to “England’s No 1”, celebrating a humble, likeable man so obsessed with dancing that “get the rave on” was a personal mantra and that he never forgot his roots when putting on his boots. “It’s quality. ‘He never forgot his roots, England’s No 1, get the rave on, get the rave on,’ ” Pickford sings. “Listen to the mix . . .”

He’s got one foot in the rave. “It’s mad, isn’t it?” Pickford continues. “When we were younger, where we come from, that [raves] is where we used to go as 12-year-olds. It was brilliant. When I got it, I sent it to my mates on WhatsApp straight away, and everyone’s going, ‘Oh my God you’ve made life now.’ Not that I just saved a penalty against Colombia at the World Cup. But, ‘You’ve made life because of this.’ ”

Pickford never forgets his roots. It is why he fits in so well at Ball’s old club. It is why on Wednesday, revered past players, such as Graeme Sharp, Graham Stuart and Ian Snodin were at Everton’s training base, Finch Farm, engaged in community work, joining Pickford and all members of Marco Silva’s first-team squad. Casting a glance across the main indoor pitch, there was Michael Keane working with the club’s Down’s syndrome team, Ademola Lookman doing a skills session, Theo Walcott encouraging those considering future employment and educational opportunities, and Leighton Baines giving a motivational talk to those struggling with mental health issues. “From the first day here, I felt this club was a family,” Silva observed.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F03167b2c-d890-11e8-926d-96790161a92a.jpg

Pickford was in the middle of this family, this merry hubbub, joining all of Silva’s players in signing a document pledging his support to Everton In The Community. “I’ve been doing a lot of work on numeracy and literacy with the kids,” Pickford says. “Numeracy was the subject I was best at at school. That was the only one I was good at, to be honest.”

The main number in Pickford’s life is, as MC Tazo would agree, England’s No 1 and since returning from the World Cup, he has found intensified attention. “It’s a bit weird. Fans of other teams have been a bit nice to me. I don’t know how long it will last for. Just saying, ‘Well done.’ If they’re being nice, I’ll be nice back. If they’re being horrible, I’m not going to be horrible back.” He takes the rough rebukes with the smooth salutes. “It’s part of being England.

“In games, the pressure’s on me more. I feel I have to perform. More people are watching me, I’m open to more criticism but to be honest it doesn’t really affect me. I’m a down-to-earth lad. On the role-model side, a lot more kids notice me and always say, ‘What a boss penalty save’ [against Colombia] in the World Cup. If I go shopping, I get noticed more, but it’s all nice. It’s part of our job to be friendly, which I am anyway. If they ask for a photo, I’ll never say no.”

As a person, as a player, it’s about community. “As soon as you get carried away, that’s where it starts biting you,” he says. “I was brought up by my parents to work hard. My mum worked at my school, helping kids. My dad left home when he was 15, 16, and became a gamekeeper on Lord Lambton’s estate, the biggest estate up Washington way. That just shows what I’ve come from, the work ethic, taking responsibility, push yourself on.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F35ca389a-d897-11e8-9c20-5eb2e7b96a26.png

Nothing has been handed to Pickford. He was in the Sunderland system early, and loaned out to Conference clubs, such as Darlington and Alfreton Town, and then up the tiers with Burton Albion, Carlisle United, Bradford City and Preston North End. He played in all five divisions. “I feel old now,” Pickford says. “I needed the challenge. The loan moves were great, playing with men who were playing for their families, for mortgages. I was this young lad, raw at the time, and they’re thinking, ‘Who is he?’ I had to perform.

“I remember my mum and dad standing on the small terrace and watching me at Alfreton. I remember Alfreton’s big slope. The most basic ground was one I can still picture, Braintree in Essex, very bog standard, a beach in my goal. A cold Tuesday night, typical old-school Conference football, hardly any fans behind the goal. Quality! Southport was the one where I heard a lot from their fans. One of the Southport fans said, ‘Your grandad’s buried under here.’ Cheers mate! You’ve just got to laugh.”

It toughened Pickford up. But then he’s always been tough, ever since throwing himself about on the tarmac in street games with his brother and friends. “You have to be fearless. That’s the good old cliché, you have to be mad to be a goalkeeper. That stays with you, the bottle, the aggression you have to have as a ’keeper, come through bodies, diving, the impact landing on the floor. Mental strength, as well as physical, is a really strong part of my game.”

Does he work with a psychologist?. “No,” he replies dismissively. “That’s why I’m mentally strong. I don’t need one of them, no. I know if I’ve played good or bad. I know how to approach a game.” He’s assertive, constantly communicating with his defence, as heard during England’s recent game behind closed doors against Croatia in Rijeka. Loudly. “I wasn’t too bad was I?” Pickford asks. He nods at mention of him and another Sunderland graduate, Jordan Henderson, lifting the decibel level. “That’s Bally’s stamp coming out on us. Not the language, just leadership really. You know what type of leader Hendo is, and I try and do my best for the team and to help us concentrate.”

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6449932e-d896-11e8-9c20-5eb2e7b96a26.jpg

He cares passionately about England. “We’ve got such quality. We’ve competition for every spot in the team, which is great for the gaffer’s [Gareth Southgate’s] headache,” he says. “Everyone starting needs to perform because you’ve got someone breathing on you. Winning 3-2 against a leading side like Spain [after Rijeka] was quite a statement. We can win something. We’re playing really good football, defend really well and our set pieces are a threat. I’ve always watched the Euros and World Cups, and you look at Germany when they won in 2014 [the World Cup], their group came from the under-21s [Manuel Neuer, Mesut Özil etc] and went through. We’re doing that.”

After the summer in Russia, Pickford cut short his holiday in Santorini and Mykonos to get back to Everton. “I wanted to play for the new gaffer [Silva]. The gaffer is good, very detailed in what he does, very attack-minded,” he says. After a slowish start, Everton have now won three on the spin, including victory over Crystal Palace last weekend helped by Pickford’s penalty save from Luka Milivojevic. “As he was running up, I decided to go left and saved it as I put a foot up. That’s instinct,” he says.

“I don’t really analyse anybody. I can’t become David De Gea. I was watching him last night [for Manchester United against Juventus] and he was incredible. De Gea has his own style. Jack Butland has his own style. I have my own style. When I was growing up, I looked at Tommy Sorensen, just being a Sunderland fan, and also Peter Schmeichel, a bit mad.”

On Sunday, Pickford heads to Schmeichel’s old home. “It’s always going to be tough going to Old Trafford,” he says. “These are the type of games you grow up as a lad saying, ‘I want to be playing there.’ It’s Man United. They have a lot of talent. If Marcus Rashford gets half a yard he’s got a wonder shot on him. You have to keep him off his right foot. I know Romelu Lukaku’s a powerful lad, and speaking to the lads here they say he’s deadly when he gets a touch in the box, and he’s got a great finish on him, so it’s about how to keep him quiet.

“But we go there believing we can get something. We’ve threats too. Everyone’s finally settling in, momentum’s building. Bernard’s coming in. André [Gomes] has had his first game. Richarlison has been really good, Theo too. Lookman’s coming off the bench, an unbelievable talent. We have a lot of competition, everyone’s pushing each other.” Pickford is ambitious, and wants Everton to push for the Champions League. “It’s great TV. But that’s where Everton want to be in the future. It’s where I want to be.”

Didn't know you did The Times, Jimbo x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back