2023/24 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people not realise that if Pickford just wants to kick it long and Southgate doesn't want him to, then Southgate would have stopped it after the first couple of long balls.

i just don't get the abuse Pickford gets. it's bordering on weird and those who do it are weird. Get behind him FFS

If he was Spanish and his name was Jose Picqueford people would claim he's the best in the world.
Laughable the reaction he has got from pundits saying he kicks it long to much. It’s obvious it’s the set up that Southgate has told him and the team to do. He passes is short enough and yet stones who is suppose to be one of the best ball playing centre backs the world, he just passes it back to Pickford to kick it long.
It’s how the team is set up and told to play is the reason Pickford is kicking it long.

I think he's getting very frustrated playing right now though, the back 4 and rice are incapable of being proactive with the ball, he gives it to ghem and they spend 10 minutes sidewards passing the ball, but he tries something different to get a move going, doesn't help that kanes movement is non-existent at this tournament

True, our left side doesn't work and Kane moves less than someone who had a hip replacement. Still I think trying to keep the ball is more important the higher the level of football you play.

True, our left side doesn't work and Kane moves less than someone who had a hip replacement. Still I think trying to keep the ball is more important the higher the level of football you play.
Kane should be dropped for someone with pace or play him with someone else he slows the game down coming far too deep and then can't keep up when we attack it's causing issues

Maybe Southgate tells him to do it but he seems to do it a lot with us too.
Err yeah , maybe Dyche tells him to do it too , eg aim for DCL , midfielders look to pick up second ball , we’re hardly blessed with classy players who can play out from the back. When Ederson does it it’s brilliant despite their tactics being usually to play out from the back 🤷‍♂️

He could be, but he used to go long to Richarlison all the time, losing the ball 9\10 so I'm not sure.
picks.webp

40% strike rate with long passes.

Compared to Ederson.

eders.webp

61%.

I have nothing to add, was just interested in the numbers.

Interesting to note that he attempts a long ball 3 times as much as Ederson does tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back