Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see it with Schmeichal, I never have done - and winning the league last season doesnt change it for me.... it just put some glitter on him, no-one 2 seasons ago was even looking at him.

This. No one considers Wes Morgan one of the best centre backs in the league based off one season. Then again he doesn't have a world famous dad who was one of the best around in his position...

I'm definitely in the Pickford camp.Young and exciting prospect with loads of potential. Although I'm also still of the opinion that Robles can come good for us. The further away it pushes Stekelenburg from the team the better it is though.
The problem is we have tried the young and exciting goalkeepers before and it hasn't worked out too well. Steve Simmonson anyone?
I do hope it works out!

The Sunderland lot think of him very highly but my issue is that it's a completely different thing being a keeper at a team who get battered, than it is at one where some games you only have 1 save to make.

The problem is we have tried the young and exciting goalkeepers before and it hasn't worked out too well. Steve Simmonson anyone?
I do hope it works out!

Problem with Simminson was that he was signed for decent money but wasn't installed as No1 straight away.
I believe that damaged his confidence and stunted his development.

If we do sign Pickford then he must be made No1 straight away.

This. No one considers Wes Morgan one of the best centre backs in the league based off one season. Then again he doesn't have a world famous dad who was one of the best around in his position...

Is the "Pedigree" angle a key factor here - he has been playing in goal since he could stand up - not because he is Billy Casper (Kes for those that don't know), the fat kid, the smelly kid, the kid with Asthma or the unusually lanky kid!!!

Problem with Simminson was that he was signed for decent money but wasn't installed as No1 straight away.
I believe that damaged his confidence and stunted his development.

If we do sign Pickford then he must be made No1 straight away.
True you are probably right and I hope you are. I just remember at the time it was the same with him, up and coming goalkeepers young and exciting, future England goalkeeper etc and just hope this doesn't happen with pickford.

Although he is an upgrade on what we have.

Casillas was about 5'11", arguably the greatest keeper ever in his prime.

Casillas is 6 ft 1. Same as Pickford.

I prefer keeper with good height and physical presence but Stek is 6 ft 6 and is crap at dealing with crosses.

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see I guess, bit isn't it like that with every signing we make
Certainly hope not. I really want us to get some established proven players in this summer and not just exciting kids with potential. And I was glad to here koeman say we are looking at players essentially in thier prime.

We've missed a trick in the past not signing players of great potential when we had a chance. Butland and VVD bot examples. If we miss out on Pickford and he goes on to become Englands No 1 and a top level keeper we'd all be kicking ourselves. It's good to see us being pro-active and getting in there early whilst we have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back