Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you dont like the other English GKs there's a world full of them out there. They will be better and cheaper than Pickford.

He looks bog standard to me. Made some terrific saves? Yes, well he'd have to once or twice with the number of shots that Sunderland team conceded.

This is a terrible use of cash if true.
c2a.gif

The fee is obviously insane but it's a gamble worth taking. If he makes good on his potential then we have one of the best 'keepers in the league for the best years of his career. It's a position we had to try and sort for the long term and he's the best realistic option available IMO.

£30m is the new £15m anyway - people haven't yet adjusted to the mindset around the new money in the game. £20m is now the norm for punts on foreign players like Klaasen, for example.

Sorry Thomas but I think Dave has somewhat of a point here

30 Million for a lad whose had one decentish season for a relegated team Vs a player like Butland who is only 24 and has done it multiple seasons for an established Premier League side, or an experienced keeper like Heaton who has also had more than one good season under is belt, is a bit of a head scratcher for me in all honesty

Just going to throw this out there..

Pickford has played more games than Butland in both there careers in the football leage, including PL.
Hes also only played ten less games in the PL than Butland.

£30M - no matter what the upfront payments are - is insane for this GK. I have zero faith money will be wisely spent this summer if that is anywhere near true. We're going to have to hold out for £100M for Lukaku to pay for OTT fees on players of this debatable quality.

I'd have gone to the Bundesliga before turning in this direction. Cheaper and better. And before Pickford I'd also have preferred Forster, Butland or Heaton.

Yerrrrrrs

Da
What, you think paying £30M for this GK from a Sunderland team that were hopeless is good business?

Dave, see my later post. If it's the market, then we must do what we need to do to get the players in we want. The fact that you dont rate him is fine - that's your call. I'd imagine the management team do if they are going for him. But for someone who has spent the last 2 years urging the club to show the colour of its money and to actually pay up to the market rate for players instead of supposedly low-balling, to then snipe at the suggestion of doing so is churlish to say the least.

The thing is, i agree with you on that. 30 million is massively over priced for a player who hasn't proven anything so far, which is where i think the fee has been over inflated in the media to make the lad sound better than what he is.

The deal if/when it happens strikes me more of a getting in early deal rather than buying a top level goalkeeper if that makes sense. Like if we went in for Forster or Butland now, the price would be higher (assuming we aren't spending 30 on pickford). So in regards to that, the scouts have probably said the lad has big potential, and we are signing him now rather than 3-4 years down the line when his price tag goes up simply because he is english, not that it isn't already.

That is the way i see it anyway.
I want top class right now, not 3 seasons down the line. Especially for £30M!!

What, you think paying £30M for this GK from a Sunderland team that were hopeless is good business?
Dave.
If we eventually do end up paying 30m for Pickford it will be because his value by then will be double that.
I remember a few seasons ago when Butland became available during a transfer window. It was suggested then that we were interested but we let the chance slip by.

The Pickford situation is similar , a young talented keeper available and are we brave enough to take the chance on him ?
We didn't with Butland but it seems we are with Pickford, changing time and our new found financial muscle is most welcome.

let's be honest, stoke aren't letting butland go unless it's for 60m, we don't know if he's fully recovered from that injury ( i have my doubts that it wont reoccur)

Pickford is one of the most highly rated in our country for a reason, he will make mistakes yes, but overall he has every chance of becoming a fantastic keeper for us, and potentially England.

We are investing in him, the manager, walsh, and the GK coach will all think they can get that worth out of him.

Let's see how he does, his shot stopping and his kicking are major positives, but his lack of command of his area and his cross collection do worry me, but they can work on that.

Da

Dave, see my later post. If it's the market, then we must do what we need to do to get the players in we want. The fact that you dont rate him is fine - that's your call. I'd imagine the management team do if they are going for him. But for someone who has spent the last 2 years urging the club to show the colour of its money and to actually pay up to the market rate for players instead of supposedly low-balling, to then snipe at the suggestion of doing so is churlish to say the least.
Showing money and spending it well are dual necessities, it's not one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back