Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to throw this out there..

Pickford has played more games than Butland in both there careers in the football leage, including PL.
Hes also only played ten less games in the PL than Butland.

Interesting and highlights Butlands broken body quite well

In a world where a tv company pays each club in the league £100m a year for just showing up, you want to talk about value? Wake up Dave - the market has moved...
...not that far along it hasn't.

We are not an elite club and we wont be spending massive. I suggest we get value and spend £50M net this summer or wtf is the point?

Not to shift the topic in an entirely different and predictable direction, because of the past 4 years, top class has never heard of us sadly.

Personally i fully support the club in bringing potentially top class in at a young age and developing them from there. Won't always be sucessful but for every time that it does, it will be fantastic as a fan to have that.

So in terms of the thread, if Pickford turns out to be a bit crap a few years down the line the fair enough, we tried and failed. If he turns into a top level keeper by 26 and he is already at the club, then it is a fantastic investment now.

Remember we could sign ronaldo messi pogba and the like this summer and get relegated because they are crap for us
Potential top class...for £30M?

With all due respect - you are blowing chunks out of your hoop here.

I am not having a Koeman love in by any stretch, in fact far from it.

I am merely pointing out, that if we have decided to invest as Pickford as our long term goalkeeper, then that should be good enough instead of all getting giddy about who we could have had instead.

What you are doing here, which is a bit silly for a sensible chap like yourself, is trying to put me in a category or a box, as a Koeman fanatic. Now that might work with some of the more mentally challenged on here, but not me Mikey :) and please don't compare me to a man who spends 90% of his adult life on an internet forum devoting his time to being Roberto's number 1 fanboy and Koeman's number 1 hater.

Come on Thomas mate, you don't think that demanding we all fall in line and not question the manager, despite it being reasonable to do so, isn't a bit OTT here?

We've never "beefed" before, and I like you in general, but I must confess I'm a bit worried seeing how you're reacting in here

Again, imagine if Martinez was signing a player that you didn't hate and thought was at best "okay", but you thought there were better options that you wanted the club to explore, and then Dave came in throwing barbs at you whilst declaring that if Martinez wanted him then that was good enough?

You'd think it unreasonable wouldn't you? Of course you would, you're a free thinking and intelligent soul who knows his own mind

It's fine to say that you trust Koeman implicitly, but you can't then have a go at others who aren't as gung ho. Well, you and can and indeed have, but it's beneath you IMO and not nice to see

I still think you're a lovely fellow though

Oh sorry, isn't he flavour of the month enough?

He's not my flavour of the mint. At all, vault me if you can but I've never advocated his signing. What I do advocate though is trusting the management team at our club, mate.

We can keep chancing, picking up a handful of half-decent keepers at the Stek/Robles-level, at an age where they are likely to improve little, for the next decade. The problem being then we have nothing but games lost by the odd goal and lot of wages blown - whilst having no stable selection in place to build a defence around.

Or we can combine the money we would have spent on Robles mark II, mark III and mark IV and get a highly rated youngster - with already bags of PL experience, bags of potential, english to boot and start to develop him in the way we want.

The goalkeeper has always been 1 of three key positions for me (CD and CM are the others). If you are looking to build a sound defence, it starts with the keeper and then you can buy defenders that cancel out his weaknesses.

If he is crap at claiming crosses, then you need 7 foot-tall giants that can ensure he doesn't need to as much.
If he is slow off his line you need pacey defenders that will get in front of the attacker
If he is better with long shots than reaction saves - that affects how your defensive line will look and thus the players you need to achieve it

Pickford just about worth 30m in my mind. Like I say thats that price of 2 shittier keepers - probably without time on their side. If he doesn't cut the mustard in the long term - an english premier league goaley is always gonna recoup a lot of the outlay!
That's not really how football works.

The keeper coming to claim the ball, whether from crosses or through balls, is about much more than not conceding from that particular attack. It's about relieving pressure, about defenders being able to push up the pitch knowing they can trust the keeper behind them, about not feeling you need to foul an attacker and get yourself sent off because you know there's a decent chance your keeper will save a one on one.

What you're talking about is effectively setting up your entire team to cover the weaknesses of your keeper, which is a quite horrific idea.

...not that far along it hasn't.

We are not an elite club and we wont be spending massive. I suggest we get value and spend £50M net this summer or wtf is the point?

Maybe not even that much, net.

Selling Lukaku and Barkley will get more than £110m.

I always say it the value of a deal is never in the transfer fee, 30 million for a 29 year old with a shelf life of 2-3 years is different then 30 million for a 23 year old with a 10-15 year shelf life. Ten years represents 3 mill a year with also the capacity to sell within that time.

I do however think he will go for less then 25 mill.

"Promising" English 'keepers make me nervous. The likes of Chris Kirkland, Richard Wright, Scott Carson, Robert Green, Paul Robinson, Steve Simonsen, Ben Foster, John Ruddy all spring to mind.

A relegated 'keeper at a skint club without an senior international cap with 20 odd games in the top flight.

£30m? I hope half of that is based on key success milestones at Everton.

There's safer options out there, Begovic was one, Joe Hart is another.

Not sure what to think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back