Transfer Rumour Juan Mata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like him, despite not doing so previously. Proved me wrong in many ways.

But he's a mid-table Premier League player we should be aiming to rinse a club for £10m+ for at this point; not a player for where our new ambitions seemingly lie.

Oh I agree mate.

If some club comes in and wants to throw silly money at us, then fine.

But for now, even with these (potential) new signings, I don't think we'll actively look to sell as he can be very useful.

We have aspirations to be in the top four, but realistically there's a good chance we won't be so we have to accept that for the time being he brings that dependability to the squad and is a good option as an experienced back up player.

On a side note, has anybody else noticed that Barry didn't seem to be at FF over the last few days? I couldn't see him on any pictures, though I may just be being blind...

He never went missing at Chelsea as he was the fulcrum of the side lad. 35 assists and 17 goals in one campaign!

At Utd he was flying under Moyes as Moyes gave him the creative responsibility. LVG - if anything - is more pessimistic than even Moyes, and used other players as the main playmaker.

That's the point - wherever Mata plays in the team, he will be our main man. It will go through him first and foremost and that in turn gives Barkley and Kev and Del the space they need to be at their best.
Mata was flying under Moyes?! When did his happen?

Moyes played him on the wing more often than not and Juan was garbage!

Mata was flying under Moyes?! When did his happen?

Moyes played him on the wing more often than not and Juan was garbage!

Nah he was excellent when he first arrived there.

He tore our midfield to shreds at Goodison when we played them, but they were so useless up front and we were on top form at the time and got that 2-0 win.

He's tapered off but he's a knack of being in the right place at the right time (cup final equaliser) and also has the quality to turn on the style.

Give him the responsibility of being our main man and he'll be back to his best.

And that the problem, I actually watched him a lot prior to us signing him, he was fairly decent for Villa, in midfield, then the clown starts playing him left wing, I mean what even is that?

As a squad player, no issue at all me, as a starter or a winger, GOD NO.

It's a squad game and for me he's a good squad player. Alex Ferguson thought at least as much.

We seem to love hating our own players. Cleverley gives it 100%, is good on the ball and has a footballing brain. No one suits being played out of position.

Nah he was excellent when he first arrived there.

He tore our midfield to shreds at Goodison when we played them, but they were so useless up front and we were on top form at the time and got that 2-0 win.

He's tapered off but he's a knack of being in the right place at the right time (cup final equaliser) and also has the quality to turn on the style.

Give him the responsibility of being our main man and he'll be back to his best.

He was sensational that day, thought they were going to batter us early on.

Oh I agree mate.

But for now, even with these (potential) new signings, I don't think we'll actively look to sell as he can be very useful.

We have aspirations to be in the top four, but realistically there's a good chance we won't be so we have to accept that for the time being he brings that dependability to the squad and is a good option as an experienced back up player.

On a side note, has anybody else noticed that Barry didn't seem to be at FF over the last few days? I couldn't see him on any pictures, though I may just be being blind...
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...verton-fitness-coach-jan-kluitenberg-11564698

His name is mentioned and pretty sure I saw his face somewhere ;)

Mata is quality and anyone stating otherwise is simply out of touch. He one of the best midfielder's in the league. If we sign him not only are we getting a player who is guaranteed to provide goals and assists, but it sends out a positive message to the rest of players.
Let's face it, how many of us would be gutted if he signed for Liverpool or Spurs?
He is a Champions league standard footballer, simple as.
The argument about his lack of pace is flimsy at best. A player like him doesn't need pace. It's his job to pick out passes for pacy players to run onto which he does to a high standard. His reading of the game is excellent and his ability to change play is up there with the best in the league.
It really is a no brainer.

My final post on Mata I promise.

A few of you will accuse me of being a kopite because of my strong opinions on Mata but I promise you, look at my posts in the Liverpool thread - you will then see that I am not one of them.

I am a football geek, an obsessive if you like. I follow the game closely and have my favourite players and players that I think are hugely overrated. Unfortunately for me, Mata falls into the latter category.

If we were in for De Bruyne or Payet then I would be excited. They have a more pace and have more to their game.

Mata, again, is too weak and slow for this league. It's why the very best managers don't rate him. And if we want to be the very best, we need to avoid.

If we were in La Liga, I would be all for this transfer. But we are in the hustle and bustle of English football.

It will only end in tears.

Oh I agree mate.

He's there.

A few of you will accuse me of being a kopite because of my strong opinions on Mata but I promise you, look at my posts in the Liverpool thread - you will then see that I am not one of them.

I am a football geek, an obsessive if you like. I follow the game closely and have my favourite players and players that I think are hugely overrated. Unfortunately for me, Mata falls into the latter category.

If we were in for De Bruyne or Payet then I would be excited. They have a more pace and have more to their game.

Mata, again, is too weak and slow for this league. It's why the very best managers don't rate him. And if we want to be the very best, we need to avoid.

If we were in La Liga, I would be all for this transfer. But we are in the hustle and bustle of English football.

I suppose it was always better being linked with players from the bargain bin, definitely enjoyed signing Bily, Kone and Niasse.

I don't think one manager constitutes the very best managers. Also David Silva is just as slow and weak; would you turn him down?

Payet is a freak and has never been as good as he was last season as well as being older than Mata.

Plus I'd expect a football geek to have a bit more logic towards his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back