Kenwright leaving rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

I won't miss him personally, all I ask for is someone better than him as chairman, not worse. For two reasons:

1) Anything that genuinely benefits Everton in the long run, im all for.

2) When he eventually leaves and if someone worse than him steps in, he will be made out to be a martyr.

There seems to be lots of rumours knocking about, in different places that around the end of March he goes. While it could be just people copying initial information it feels it gathers more substance each time.

The date seems significant, not only is it roughly in line with a time frame for further stadium announcements, but also it marks around the 2 year anniversary. I vaguely remember mention of an option for 2 years when Moshiri came in. It seems about the amount of transition time one would put into an agreement. I suspect we are well behind where Moshiri would have hoped on the pitch, and not as far along with the stadium as he'd have hoped (though better placed with this). Either way it seems a time period was agreed if this comes to fruition.

We can all speculate exactly how it will look if Kenwright goes. On the one hand Moshiri may well look at it and say I've put x amount in, it's time for the club to start delivering of it's own back. On the other he may continue his approach thus far, which has been trading players, plus a bit of a surplus each window and look at somewhere in the 40 million net spend. Alternatively you may see spending notched up another level now he has full control of the club. The "nuclear" option remains Usmanov coming in, which would be another jump up, but well beyond anything we've seen so far.

I don't know which the of the above we will see. My gut would say if Moshiri takes full control you'd see mixture of the 1st and 3rd approach. More prudency but also greater spend at particular moments. What would be most beneficial though is the ending of the "dual power" relationship we've seen over the last 2 years. It hasn't helped anyone. Managers must be unclear who they are working for and accountable too. Players much the same, as with the DOF. The confusion has not helped, and we will be in far better shape for having 1 owner, one voice, once person who sets the standards.

I won't have a good word said about Kenwright in most ways, but what you can say is he had a clear vision of what he was trying to do and he stuck to it. It was very much "plucky little Everton"- the great underdog. It wasn't the Everton I wanted, or the one most of the fanbase want, though many took an understandable pride in it- but it was a consistent vision that matched the managerial appointments and playing staff.

Moshiri will have to start to fashion his vision of Everton, without having the old guard around. I think Moshiri has to get this right. The fans are still with him, but it's a fragile situation, and the majority are with him on the basis that when he gets rid of Bill things get markedly better. The last two years of transition have been a farce where we have gone backwards.

He cares about the club and guided us through some tough times but he's also mishandled quite alot and lowers our expectations too. I like Bill but he shouldn't be in that role or involved in transfers anymore. I'd keep him as an honourary board member but you need professionalism and ambition not sentiment. Install a professional administrator with experience a proven DOF and an ambitious coach with a vision and style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back