Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
martinez last season preferred to play one winger and on the other side Pienaar/Osman who were tasked with more of a combo midfielder/winger role.

Don't think any of Naismith/Barkley/Eto'o have consistently worked in the combo role whilst Osman/Pienaar been injured. However McGeady might given he is quite good defensively so on balance would prefer both Kev and Aiden in the team and rotate Barkley/naismith as the #10 depending on the game and form.

This is a great post and you mention Osman and Pienaar being injured and this has played a huge part on why others have been shoed in the side. He doesn't want 2 out and out wingers because he obviously feels we are too exposed on both sides which is why he likes someone who can tuck in on one side whilst the other provides the width..Unfortunately like you mention neither Eto'o, Barkley or Naismith have done decent there as they all want to play in the middle so don't provide cover

I would prefer Baines or Oviedo on the left with either or Garbutt lb. That would shore up the left hand side whilst we find a replacement as we don't know when Osman or Pienaar will ever come back. Then leave it to Naismith and Barkley to fight it out for the behind the striker role and Eto and Kone provide the competition for Lukaku and McGeady provides an alternative option to Mirallas.

I agree. That would destroy RMs favourite ploy of accommodating both Barkley and Naismith though.
I thought Naismith worked really well on the wing against City. You can't discount Naismith's work rate or goals. I would prefer a proper hard working Pienaar style player there but with the squad we have Naismith is currently the best option.

McGeady ran around a lot the other day but any extra defensive solidity over Kev Belg was undermined by him constantly giving the ball away.
I disagree. I think he got the team right. I think people underestimate how important work rate is in winning the ball back high which then allows quick passes up to Rom without going long. If anything it's the work rate more so than the style that has improved our results/performances.

I disagree. I think he got the team right. I think people underestimate how important work rate is in winning the ball back high which then allows quick passes up to Rom without going long. If anything it's the work rate more so than the style that has improved our results/performances.

I think both are true.

The extra work rate has been the key to us getting some confidence back, and improving on our performances....but, @Chang Elephant is right to say McGeady often undid his own good work by giving the ball away easily and putting us on the back foot in the first place.

I think both are true.

The extra work rate has been the key to us getting some confidence back, and improving on our performances....but, @Chang Elephant is right to say McGeady often undid his own good work by giving the ball away easily and putting us on the back foot in the first place.

Opta: McGeady gave the ball away twice. Naismith 12 times; Barkley once.

Perception versus reality.

Opta: McGeady gave the ball away twice. Naismith 12 times; Barkley once.

Perception versus reality.

Naismith and his effort versus wasting of possession is a similar issue, yep! Hard to quantify his effort and influence on a team with his attitude. Easy to quantify the poorness of his passing though.

I would question that McGeady stat. He dribbled at least a couple of times and went straight into a defender. He tried a trick once and it went away from him and he gave up possession. Add in at least a couple of moments of miscontrol and running the ball over the line and he was at fault for lost possession more than twice. Its a similar story each time he plays unfortunately.

Anyway...its Kevs thread. Hi Kev. Score a goal or two tonight please.

How many touches in the opposition half did Naismith have compared to McGeady though?
I dont know about opposition half but final third Naismith had much more involvement there: three times as many touches as McGeady.

But this is not the point being made. The point is that we have a lot better shape and discipline about us with McGeady in there who is willing to shuttle back and allow Coleman the room to get forward as well as make himself available for a forward ball. Regardless of time on the ball, that's fundamental. Of course we want more than that from a wide player, but the heavy criticism he gets for coming in and doing a job is ridiculous. It's just group think that doesn't even base itself on statistical analysis much less any thought about the overall performance and shape of a team.

I dont know about opposition half but final third Naismith had much more involvement there: three times as many touches as McGeady.

But this is not the point being made. The point is that we have a lot better shape and discipline about us with McGeady in there who is willing to shuttle back and allow Coleman the room to get forward as well as make himself available for a forward ball. Regardless of time on the ball, that's fundamental. Of course we want more than that from a wide player, but the heavy criticism he gets for coming in and doing a job is ridiculous. It's just group think that doesn't even base itself on statistical analysis much less any thought about the overall performance and shape of a team.
I think that comes with playing any winger that stays on the wing though. Coleman has finally struck up a bit of a rapport with him is all. His end product is at best disappointing. Hes not a bad squad player like but to improve we are going to need better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back