Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree that he's inconsistent, if the observer has realistic expectations.

The stats show that he is our second highest scorer over the last three years (28 goals), and only two behind Baines over the same period for assists (23 v 25). For a player who cost £6m, that is an excellent return. He has the odd game where he is genuinely world class and then we all get frustrated that he doesn't play like that every game, as if it's his standard level of play. He was an absolute steal at £6m, and sometimes turns in a performance that would make you think he cost three or four times that - but he didn't.

Barkley is inconsistent. Barry is inconsistent. Jagielka is inconsistent. All three will have good games and then a run of sod-awful ones. I genuinely don't believe Mirallas is in the same category, because his only inconsistency is the same one as Lukaku's - neither of them score every game.
Don't disagree with benefit he brings to the team especially for the price we paid, particularly like his link up play with Rom for his assists.

But to for me he is far more "streaky" in his performances than either Jags or a rested Barry (some of which is probably down to his worse injury history). He'll seem to put in much wider variety in his performances game-to-game, hitting either brilliant or anonymous with far less of the middle ground - he rarely puts in bad performances, he'll just seem to disappear on the pitch. But we each see the game differently.

I don't care about his so called inconsistency. I'm prepared to live with his frustrating decision making and performances when not on top of his game. The flashes of brilliance, the snidey tackles (not the one against Burnley) and his abillity to change/decide a game in an instant, is all worth it. If he goes we'll have a big task on our hands of replacing him with someone of the same calibre. Easier said than done.

Jagielka is extremely consistent. Bar the rare blip.
54734637f1164.png

He's boss and I really doubt we'll be replacing him with anyone better.

Hopefully we'll see the back of McGeady and get Lennon in. I'd settle for that providing Mirallas stays.

thing is outside of the TOP TOP wingers like Ronaldo, Hazard, etc they're all "inconsistent" it's the nature of the position

Even Hazard has a meh game at least 1 out of every 3 or 4 games.

Not quite sure why Mirallas is deemed that inconsistent. He's inconsistent in terms of whether or not he plays, or plays 90 minutes, but 11 goals in so few minutes this season shows that when he does play, he usually plays well.

Just been told he has been offered a 4 year deal. Lad who told me is normally reliable.
I would be very very surprised if he signs it. He wants to play in the Champions League and we don't offer him that guarantee, only thing we can offer is probably a little more money than a Spanish club at that level. It's not as if he's been the beneficiary of great chemistry with the team, most of his goals this season have been solo efforts or defensive errors.

My guess is we'll take up the option to renew his contract for a year, take one more shot at Champions League, and either renew his contract if we make it or sell him if we don't.

I would be very very surprised if he signs it. He wants to play in the Champions League and we don't offer him that guarantee, only thing we can offer is probably a little more money than a Spanish club at that level. It's not as if he's been the beneficiary of great chemistry with the team, most of his goals this season have been solo efforts or defensive errors.

My guess is we'll take up the option to renew his contract for a year, take one more shot at Champions League, and either renew his contract if we make it or sell him if we don't.

You say most of his goals are individual solo efforts or defensive mistakes, yet other than Lukaku and Naismith (at the start of the season) no one else gets us goals. Kev has got a 1 in 3 strike rate throughout the league, this is better than most strikers in the league. You also need a player who produces that moment of magic which Kev can do. In my opinion we should try are best to get him to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back