2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with this analysis is that the owner and board being crap is all that is needed. Brands was not crap. Carlo was not crap, but both were made to look crap at times by the owner and the board.
Thing is though, he was.

Yes, he had his hands tied. He did also make some seriously bad decisions. Should he had been allowed to do his job more? Yes, absolutely. But elements of his job that he did do, he also did quite badly.

He made some really bad calls with the academy. He insisted against a loans pathway manager (something Thelwell deserves credit for but any club should have - Brands didn't want one for some reason). He made some bizarre calls with signings - and some good calls too of course.

Ultimately the problem is higher but Thelwell has to take his share of the blame for this mess. He'd be getting the credit if we got signings in, wouldn't he...

Based on what?

Onana is going to be someone we sell for profit.

Coady, Tarkowski are solid acquisitions.

Garner has potential. Some of the players we couldn’t afford but went for, we’re in the right path.

Maupay has been a disaster, but there’s nothing to suggest it was someone Thelwell had highly up.

The sale of Gordon for £40m upfront with a sell on, was great business. The reality is, he walked into a loss before he came in thanks to the glut of wasted money by previous regimes.

I’ll happily hold my hands up if I’m wrong, but my point stands that no one can do their job well, when they’re caught in total mayhem we’re in.

Imagine if he's the guy to rebuild us in the Championship.

We will end up signing Jason Koumas after we sell Pickford and Calvert-Lewin.

You're not wrong but we just have no evidence to actually suggest Thelwell is a capable DoF.

All the evidence in his 11 months here so far suggests otherwise.

We all know the problem sits above him, like we did with Lampard. And that's true. But I don't think we can say with any certainty he isn't also part of the problem. He might be trying to fix things, in fact he clearly is, but it's not working.

Things have improved in recruitment side of the past year though.

For a start, a lot of crap has been moved out over this time and although we haven't signed many players, the only dud (Gana) was probably not down to him. This is important because spending so much money on crap who then sit on the bench / reserves is one of the main ways in which we got into this mess. "First, do no harm" as the medics say and at least he hasn't done that in terms of buying waistrels.

Things have improved in recruitment side of the past year though.

For a start, a lot of crap has been moved out over this time and although we haven't signed many players, the only dud (Gana) was probably not down to him. This is important because spending so much money on crap who then sit on the bench / reserves is one of the main ways in which we got into this mess. "First, do no harm" as the medics say and at least he hasn't done that in terms of buying waistrels.

So we're the battered wife who's now happy she's no longer getting smacked around each night?

So we're the battered wife who's now happy she's no longer getting smacked around each night?

no, we are the battered wife who has realised that she can't keep going back to her husband because he isn't that type of bloke really

we are still in a bad place, but at least we have stopped doing silly things

Thelwell doesn't speak, which is another thing.

Come out and speak to the fans. Stop letting your manager front it up.

He is the DoF. He needs to speak to the fanbase.

What other DOF come out and speak to the fans? I recall Purslow doing it, and after that, are there many?

Well run clubs rarely haven’t to communicate publicly, because their results are their success.

We’ve pissed £500m up the wall, and Thelwell has had a minuscule budget compared to the others.

I guarantee you now, if he comes out tomorrow and says the expected “We tried to get targets, but we couldn’t”… the place would be toxic.

The issue here lies with the board. Back your man. If Dyche wasn’t a Thelwell choice, then what’s the point in him being here, for example? He clearly isn’t being allowed to do his job properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back