2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today has absolutely frazzled my brain Toff.

They've put their foot on the pedal and have speeded up the inevitable fall into the abyss.

The board mirror the squad - A bunch of misfits with no passion, pride or desire to demand better of themselves and those around them.
It surely doesn't make sense to anybody, but ever since the incredible appointment of Benitez it appears they are purposely destroying the club.
He deliberately wrecked what we saw on the pitch and they have seen to the rest of it

And all three cited Lampard, and it was reliably reported that Lampard played a huge role in them coming to the club.

Garner, likewise, was a signing Lampard pushed for - rightly or wrongly.

Of course, Thelwell takes his share of the credit for those deals.

But he then has to take blame for Everton not bringing in one quality forward option, having sold their best player in June.

Yes, there is mayhem at the top of the club. But what makes you think the DoF the clowns appointed is actually good?

I don’t think we’re too far apart here, mate, I really don’t.

We pushed for quality options, and naturally there are criticisms, of Thelwell, that’s why I’ve said he’s done “ok” and not fantastic.

For whatever reason, we were heavily involved with Tim Cahill around the period of hiring Thelwell and Lampard, and I don’t actually think the board pushed for him.

The lack of striker extends beyond Thelwell, and that doesn’t excuse him, it’s a huge downfall. Two summers ago, when Benitez was appointment, we feared an injury to DCL or Richarlison, we signed Rondon. 2 seasons on, we’ve failed to replace either and it shows.

The current state of the club doesn’t help, but it’s inexcusable to not sign someone, or send scouts to football hotbeds.

I generally agree with your point but believe me he is nowhere near ready.

Know several Sunderland fans very well, who are very knowledgable (one of them being my editor). He isn't ready.

If he scores 2-3 goals for us this season, brilliant, fair play to him.

Again it comes down to how a player ever gets ready. Personally, I think if we'd played him instead of buying Rondon last season he would both be more ready and we'd have scored and won more. I also think he will do better for us than that Gyokeres or any other Championship striker would have done if we play him.

TBF if he came out tomorrow and said "we don't have much money, its a much better decision to use our youth players and develop them rather than spend money on players that weren't those we were targeting" then I'd applaud him because it would be the first sensible thing anyone in the management of the club has said in twelve months plus.
Our manager had 2 training sessions with the team before we announced him.

There’s not a chance he’s going to be transparent, even if he wanted to, sadly.

I’d love him to come out and say it, the fans want clarity.

It's insane.

As @Connor said earlier, the lengths some people are going to just to defend him is ludicrous.

He's crap. Our recruitment team are crap. Our owner is an idiot. Our board are crap.

Recruitment team doesn’t exist seeing as this fella hasn’t been able to hire the head of recruitment he’s been after for 6 months

Again it comes down to how a player ever gets ready. Personally, I think if we'd played him instead of buying Rondon last season he would both be more ready and we'd have scored and won more. I also think he will do better for us than that Gyokeres or any other Championship striker would have done if we play him.
Is that actually based on anything though? I mean I’ve seen gyokeres and simms play and gyokeres is quite clearly miles better at this point. Doesn’t mean simms can’t have an impact or improve over time, but right now he’s not even good enough to be starting in the championship nevermind the PL.

Personally I think thelwell has failed quite dramatically. There were question marks over his ability to get deals done and I think they’ve been answered emphatically by the way we’ve lurched around being rejected by all and sundry today.

Thelwell has done a poor job - there's no denying that.

However, it would be good to understand why he's failed. We all have our assumptions on how much the board is involved with signings, how much of that is true is still to be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back