2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm honest, I watched none of the lad live before he got here but YouTube had me convinced he was a good buy. The scout stat geeks all had stuff to back this up and I didn't have a problem at all with the idea of him coming. Flip side of that is that I knew from watching 2 mins of Niasse's "highlights" in Russia that the lad wasn't a footballer.

So it's been a real surprise to me that he's struggled as much as he has (I can't defend it, he's got some attributes and he's not yet a completely busted flush, but the signs aren't good).

I think it's difficult to look back at last summer and be as objective as you're being here though - 2 years of Dom being injured. We'd have had to rely on Maupay this season as backup and it was largely Dom's injuries in 22/23 that you could argue were the reason we got as close to the drop as we did. £25-30m is about the going rate for a mid level PL striker nowadays, so I wouldn't have said that the price tag caused my eyebrows to raise at all.

End of the day, he most certainly does not look like a £25m player based on what we've seen, not even close to it, but I still think that the context of our financial situation (and it would have been fair to assume back then that the ownership situation would have been resolved by now and with it the v severe financial restrictions) and our desperation for a striker last summer are enough to at the very least cut the guy some slack for doing the deal

Im not a fan either, id try and sell him at a small loss.

But, there have been many centre forwards that need a season in the league before delivering in the 2nd year.

Hes not been given a run of games starting nor has he had balls consistently played ahead of him which he thrives on.

Who knows....

Has a massive * next to him.

I suspect the list available for players on massive Klarna is restricted?

Others like Kudus, Gyokeres he's been unlucky with.

To be fair to him I don't think he's signed anyone we should lose money on - which is the priority and again, can restrict as you can't make gambles others perhaps can.

Oh we most certainly aren’t getting £25m+ for Beto.

I think if we done a poll right now and the option at the start of last season was

A) sign Beto who will score 3 league goals all season but at the end of the season he'll cost 30m

B) don't sign Beto, save the money and get a fella from the Sunday League instead

I reckon most would choose B tbh.
The poll of last season wouldn’t tell you what he would score. Most of us would have said sign Beto… we needed a striker as back up and to keep Dcl on his toes

Mate, I've wanted him to do well I really have. My favourite goal was his against Newcastle.

But if I'd gone back last year, actually watched some of his performances for Udinese which would have flagged up a player who is erratic with decision making, poor touch, constantly offside and generally doesn't seem to have a clue what his legs are doing, I'd have said "Yep, sign him up for 7m or as a premium because we aren't paying anything this season, let's pay 10m".

Not in this life or the next life is he worth anything over 10m and we've been stung big time and rhe worst thing about it is when we did sign him, Thelwell said it was a long term target who had all the attributes we were looking for...well if we were looking for a player with a big beaming smile then he absolutely nailed it.

I'm still hopeful he'll come good mate, I ain't giving up but let's be honest, it looks a dreadful bit of business from what we've all witnessed this season.
Im not even sure a a fairly fancied striker in the championship is available for 10m these days.
If you are buying a striker you think is going to have half a chance you need to spend 20m plus.
Anything less than that is making the numbers up for training games

People and when I say people, I do include myself, but people focus on his mistakes.

55m for Beto, Chermo and Maupay is criminal, now maybe in time Chermo might well be an astute signing, im not totally convinced, but its the type of signing we should be going for.

We have sold our best players and had to replace them with on the main cut price deals.

Hes not just working with 1 hand tied, his hands have been chopped off.
This is never going to happen
Stop trying to make it happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back