2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to buy good players with no money.
For a club in Everton's position, if the choice is £25m for Beto (regardless of when it has to be paid) or nobody, you go with nobody.

Virtually any forward who went out on loan or was available on a Bosman would have been better.

He and Maupay are yet more albatrosses around the club's neck, and there's a decent chance the same will be said about Chermitti.

If Thelwell doesn't have the contacts required to operate in cheap markets, he's no use to us.

For a club in Everton's position, if the choice is £25m for Beto (regardless of when it has to be paid) or nobody, you go with nobody.

Virtually any forward who went out on loan or was available on a Bosman would have been better.

He and Maupay are yet more albatrosses around the club's neck, and there's a decent chance the same will be said about Chermitti.

If Thelwell doesn't have the contacts required to operate in cheap markets, he's no use to us.
I think the Beto deal was structured in a way where no money or very little money was paid at the time.

When you say that any Bosman would have been better is there someone you had in mind or just a general comment because I would guess that with our financial situation that we would happily sign a player for nothing rather than pay a fee.

Where are the cheap markets now? Certainly not in England.
Bringing players in from abroad is always a risk even when you pay a substantial fee as we know only too well.

I think the Beto deal was structured in a way where no money or very little money was paid at the time.

When you say that any Bosman would have been better is there someone you had in mind or just a general comment because I would guess that with our financial situation that we would happily sign a player for nothing rather than pay a fee.

Where are the cheap markets now? Certainly not in England.
Bringing players in from abroad is always a risk even when you pay a substantial fee as we know only too well.
Which should have been a red flag in and of itself. It's just more short-term thinking, kicking the can down the road and hoping things somehow work themselves out.

As much as it was frustrating at the time - and he was really just covering for Kenwright while taking the plaudits for doing well with no money - Moyes was right when he'd say that spending nothing is better than spending poorly.

Just about every club outside of England has to find players at a fraction of what we're routinely shaken down for. In the last two years, Thelwell has put Everton on the hook for £55m to bring in Beto, Chermitti and Maupay, none of whom will be starting in August unless something goes drastically wrong. You'd expect that from a manager who knows he's likely gone within two or three seasons, not a director of football who is supposed to be looking at the bigger picture.

Which should have been a red flag in and of itself. It's just more short-term thinking, kicking the can down the road and hoping things somehow work themselves out.

As much as it was frustrating at the time - and he was really just covering for Kenwright while taking the plaudits for doing well with no money - Moyes was right when he'd say that spending nothing is better than spending poorly.

Just about every club outside of England has to find players at a fraction of what we're routinely shaken down for. In the last two years, Thelwell has put Everton on the hook for £55m to bring in Beto, Chermitti and Maupay, none of whom will be starting in August unless something goes drastically wrong. You'd expect that from a manager who knows he's likely gone within two or three seasons, not a director of football who is supposed to be looking at the bigger picture.
I think that was not exactly a panic signing but maybe not far from it.
At the time we had no idea what DCL would contribute, we already knew Maupay was not good enough and that left us with Simms and Cannon and I honestly don't think either are close to good enough.

We simply had to bring another striker , we had lost out on a couple earlier in the window and I think they were able to get a deal for Beto they could live with.

To be fair we often see players coming from abroad struggle in their first season and if he stays he may be better this year.
He is a big physical specimen and certainly works hard for the team but I don't think he will ever be a regular goalscorer.

If DCL signs a new contract then I think Dyche will be happy to keep Beto as back up but Beto may not be happy with that.

I think that was not exactly a panic signing but maybe not far from it.
At the time we had no idea what DCL would contribute, we already knew Maupay was not good enough and that left us with Simms and Cannon and I honestly don't think either are close to good enough.

We simply had to bring another striker , we had lost out on a couple earlier in the window and I think they were able to get a deal for Beto they could live with.

To be fair we often see players coming from abroad struggle in their first season and if he stays he may be better this year.
He is a big physical specimen and certainly works hard for the team but I don't think he will ever be a regular goalscorer.

If DCL signs a new contract then I think Dyche will be happy to keep Beto as back up but Beto may not be happy with that.
I'm not sure they'll be happy to live with it when the fees start coming due, nor would I be surprised to see all three of Thelwell's forward purchases going out on loan next season.

I just hope he doesn't waste another chunk of the summer chasing players he can't afford this year.

This is untrue. Almost no club has bought a player for less money than what we have spent that has been an instant goal scoring sensation. (Maybe morris and adebayo at Luton)
Only 25 players scored over 10 goals in the premier league.
These players aren’t easy to find, there is always a risk involved unless you spend £50m.
A lot of the players that scored 10+ goals this season have had unsuccessful season prior…
Solenko, Wissa, mateta and wood for example.

Our style of play impacts the results too much to just write our strikers off. Don’t get me wrong, I’m just as annoyed as anyone else when they miss, but they are not all terrible players.

I'm not sure they'll be happy to live with it when the fees start coming due, nor would I be surprised to see all three of Thelwell's forward purchases going out on loan next season.

I just hope he doesn't waste another chunk of the summer chasing players he can't afford this year.
Maupay , Beto and ?

I can't see a loan for Beto , he will stay or be sold.
We are not Man City we can't afford the luxury of sending him on loan and then replacing him.

What his remit?

Seen nothing to suggest he isn’t going a good job in impossible circumstances
He has just let a load of youth players go and sign the likes of Young & Harrison, there is a lad called Mills who plays on the right hand side very good prospect, watch him get released because of the 2 clowns Dyche and Thelwell have signed. it's his job to ensure that the young players stand a chance of coming through to the 1st team, he signs Beto £27 mil and releases Simms £8 mil, the guy is a fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back