2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has just let a load of youth players go and sign the likes of Young & Harrison, there is a lad called Mills who plays on the right hand side very good prospect, watch him get released because of the 2 clowns Dyche and Thelwell have signed. it's his job to ensure that the young players stand a chance of coming through to the 1st team, he signs Beto £27 mil and releases Simms £8 mil, the guy is a fraud
The priority is staying in the league - Everton aren’t really in a position to afford anything else at the moment

Harrison and Young provide a lot better chance of that than a few youth players with 10 premier league minutes to their name

Surely you can see that?

Up to this point has done an OK job in my opinion.

He has brought the wage bill down (and it will reduce even further over the next few months) and moved players on for profit.

In an ideal world we'd probably have kept the likes of Simms and Cannon and loaned them out again to bump up their price tag further, but ~£20million for those 2 isn't a bad return really.

Jury is still out on Beto. He's not a DCL replacement in our current system as his strength isn't with his back to goal... he needs to be on the shoulder looking to get in behind. Hopefully with 12 months PL experience under his belt he can kick on a bit next season and give us a bit more of a goal return.

Chermiti is a youngster, will see how he progresses. Clearly a talented lad but very raw from the few occasions he got minutes.

His big job this summer is to get more pace into the team and replace any outgoings for less than what we sell for (whoever that may be) so we can at least maintain a lower midtable finish next season.

How hard can it be?

I didn't see the point of giving young Lewis Warrington his debut then binning him a couple of weeks later

Depends on if he was in talks to sign or not and if he's had other options.

He's 21 and never broke in. Dobbin is the same age and featured 12 times.

Could be a case of if he wants to go play regular football, he leaves rather than tie him up on a contract here.

Depends on if he was in talks to sign or not and if he's had other options.

He's 21 and never broke in. Dobbin is the same age and featured 12 times.

Could be a case of if he wants to go play regular football, he leaves rather than tie him up on a contract here.
He never broke in cos he was loaned out and injured. It's mind boggling. The Hunt one I'd worse in my view, with 1st team most of season, sometimes through necessity admittedly but cut adrift. Barking.

He never broke in cos he was loaned out and injured. It's mind boggling. The Hunt one I'd worse in my view, with 1st team most of season, sometimes through necessity admittedly but cut adrift. Barking.

Why is it barking? He was on the bench to cover LB and when our LB got injured he never got a single minute.

He never had a future here.

Net spend down
Wage bill down
League position up

Posters trying to beat him with the benefit of hindsight and ignoring our cash-flow / regulatory problems and the urgency of fixing a first team in relegation trouble.

With Beto he was trying to get a senior first team striker to cover DCL - he was totally hamstrung by our cash-flow and FFP issues which didn't put us in the best bargaining position - I expect many selling clubs were even wondering whether they would ever see the money from us - we are a major credit risk.

Players like Coleman, DCL, Stones, Branthwaite etc. were bargains in hindsight - but none of them were bought to solve an immediate problem like Maupay and Beto were - they all took at least a season to contribute significantly to the first team.

Luckily for us, DCL came back from injury and the Beto gamble sort of worked - a few goals and cover for the end of games to give DCL recovery time.

Maupay was a worse buy imo - but you can see he was PL cheap and seemed to bring some guaranteed goals and effort with him and perhaps Simms was seen as the more obvious DCL backup at the time.

Tarks, Garner, Onana, McNeil, Harrison, Gana 2 - perfectly decent signings. Jury is out on Chermiti but perhaps he will make up for Simms and then some.

Seems to me like that is a GCSE 'B' - not perfect but pretty good on a challenging exam.

Hard to judge really given the circumstances he is having to operate under, hardly been run of the mill seasons have they. It cannot be easy to plan when you have no idea about budgets, point deductions and possible forced player sales.

Congratulations to Kevin Thelwell for getting our wage bill down by allowing players on high salaries to walk out the door for nothing

What a 4d chess move

Well it’s a better chess move than extending their contracts which is what previous DOFs did.

Do you think he negotiated the lower wages for new signings too?

What a convenient argument though. Anything good isn’t down to him, every single bad thing is though. It’s exactly the same argument people have for Dyche.

Must just be a massive coincidence that the two most critical roles on the footballing side of the club are responsible for everything wrong on the pitch yet we’ve coincidentally improved at the same time (nothing to do with them of course)

What an utterly laughable juvenile argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.