2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
im more concerned about the 'He bought Beto' thing!

Goalscorer is the hardest part to get though.

Most clubs in the league all want a striker, have bought a flop, or don't rate what they've got.

And he's a back up for competition on low/average wages that fits a system. If he clicks next season and gets about 5 a season and improves his all round game, it's a good signing.

He didn’t offer them new contracts though! Do you not see this is a choice?! We could have kept on Coady Mina Gomes Dele if we’d wanted to. We didn’t, that’s partly down to Thelwell. We’ve then replaced these players with cheaper ones.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter which thread of the jumper you try to pull at. Regardless of who has reduced the net spend, or who has improved the league positions both have happened under Thelwell’s watch and they weren’t happening under previous DOF’s who presided over increasing wage bills, increasing net spend and decreasing league positions. If you want to give Dyche the credit for improving league performance that’s great, who hired him though?

If wages were sky high, net spend out of control, and we’d have been relegated you’d be absolutely on here laying the blame at Yhelwell. You simply can’t have it both ways.
Well he give doucoure a massive pay day, at 30 years old for an additional 2 years.

Secondly, he wouldn’t have kept those players because Dyche had no interest in them. Coady and Mina got benched for Michael Keane last season

Most clubs in the league all want a striker, have bought a flop, or don't rate what they've got.

And he's a back up for competition on low/average wages that fits a system. If he clicks next season and gets about 5 a season and improves his all round game, it's a good signing.

£26m for a player to be backup and score 5 goals a season is not a good signing :lol: he also doesn’t fit our system, at least the manager doesn’t think so anyway.

I agree with that bit mate, its very hard to find that goal scorer, especially if you are not the main striker at the club.

I think it goes back to one of my previous posts though, is the outlay worth what his position in the squad is! Is he £30 million better than what Rondon was? Would Weighorst on loan (just pulled a name out of thin air) represented the same outcome?

£26m for a player to be backup and score 5 goals a season is not a good signing :lol: he also doesn’t fit our system, at least the manager doesn’t think so anyway.

Coming off the bench? We expecting or demanding a 10+ a season back up striker? We don't even have a first choice one that does that.

Additionally it's the structure of the deal that's more important.

2nd point is an opinion. He fits the system when Dom is out IMO.

Well he give doucoure a massive pay day, at 30 years old for an additional 2 years.

Secondly, he wouldn’t have kept those players because Dyche had no interest in them. Coady and Mina got benched for Michael Keane last season

You can keep picking any individual item you want but the clue is in the title Director of Football.

Anything that happens at Everton on the pitch is his responsibility. For less money, he’s getting better improvement. Of course there’ll be some bad buys or players people don’t like getting a deal, but the key stats are going in the right direction. We’re comfortably mid table without the points deductions. That’s his manager getting improvements from the players he’s traded in and out.

Coming off the bench? We expecting or demanding a 10+ a season back up striker? We don't even have a first choice one that does that.

Additionally it's the structure of the deal that's more important.

2nd point is an opinion. He fits the system when Dom is out IMO.

I’m expecting a backup striker that only ever comes off the bench and scores under 10 a season to not cost £26m mate.

Dyche disagrees with you on this.

You can keep picking any individual item you want but the clue is in the title Director of Football.

Anything that happens at Everton on the pitch is his responsibility. For less money, he’s getting better improvement. Of course there’ll be some bad buys or players people don’t like getting a deal, but the key stats are going in the right direction. We’re comfortably mid table without the points deductions. That’s his manager getting improvements from the players he’s traded in and out.
So the tactics on the pitch are his responsibility, the gameplan and in game decisions are his because he’s the Director of Football??

Ok

I agree with that bit mate, its very hard to find that goal scorer, especially if you are not the main striker at the club.

I think it goes back to one of my previous posts though, is the outlay worth what his position in the squad is! Is he £30 million better than what Rondon was? Would Weighorst on loan (just pulled a name out of thin air) represented the same outcome?

You're then getting into specifics though. Your scouting a back up to Dom. There's a tier and a price, then wages, age, then how a deal is structured. If Beto is on a list thats a bit higher in price but ticks all the other boxes, that fits our structure, the boss likes him, he gets signed.

There's a list of other strikers we went for (Bereton Diaz, Gyokeres off the top of my head) that binned us off for example.

I’m expecting a backup striker that only ever comes off the bench and scores under 10 a season to not cost £26m mate.

Dyche disagrees with you on this.

Fits our klarna pay scheme though. Could've paid £15mill up front for Chris Wood and been in a another FFP pickle.

And I bumped into Dyche at the Brick last game of the season. He said Beto was sound and would eat you for breakfast.

You're then getting into specifics though. Your scouting a back up to Dom. There's a tier and a price, then wages, age, then how a deal is structured. If Beto is on a list thats a bit higher in price but ticks all the other boxes, that fits our structure, the boss likes him, he gets signed.

There's a list of other strikers we went for (Bereton Diaz, Gyokeres off the top of my head) that binned us off for example.

Oh.

Or a lot are young players who just wont adapt well to the PL, get used to the country, be to mush of a step up and be a squad option for 3-4 years until they are moved on for less!

Alvaraz, Porro, Iwobi, Pedro, Jackson & Torres are probably guarenteed starters for there club, and thats me being kind to Jackson
How do you know they won't adapt? How is calling Jackson a guaranteed starter being kind? He got 19 goal involvements in 35 appearances for Chelsea. Disasi and Wharton were also guaranteed starters last season. Harvey Barnes not quite guaranteed because of injuries and Gordon coming through but still guaranteed a good chunk of games. Wasn't JWP also a nailed on starter before he got injured?

Timber, Scott, Ugochukwu, Dragusin, Gravenberch, Baleba, Collins, Schade, Franca all way too early to judge and may yet prove to be very good value.

Livramento has been brilliant for NUFC when fit, and has a full England international ahead of him. Still only 21-22 so how can you say he offers no value for money.

Your argument is full of holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back