2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn’t offer them new contracts though! Do you not see this is a choice?! We could have kept on Coady Mina Gomes Dele if we’d wanted to. We didn’t, that’s partly down to Thelwell. We’ve then replaced these players with cheaper ones.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter which thread of the jumper you try to pull at. Regardless of who has reduced the net spend, or who has improved the league positions both have happened under Thelwell’s watch and they weren’t happening under previous DOF’s who presided over increasing wage bills, increasing net spend and decreasing league positions. If you want to give Dyche the credit for improving league performance that’s great, who hired him though?

If wages were sky high, net spend out of control, and we’d have been relegated you’d be absolutely on here laying the blame at Yhelwell. You simply can’t have it both ways.
Alli and Gomes haven't even left yet, never mind been replaced for cheap.

Coady and Mina were replaced by Branthwaite, who was already here before Thelwell arrived.

So the tactics on the pitch are his responsibility, the gameplan and in game decisions are his because he’s the Director of Football??

Ok

He’s accountable because he hired the manager, yes. The same way Moshiri is accountable for everything Thelwell does. It’s called a chain of command.

Why did they allow him to buy Beto and Chermiti then?

Beto's signing was an immediate need for a back up to DCL who was more ready to step into the side and Chermitti is viewed as one for the future.

Dyche himself said that ideally Chermitti should have went out on loan this season. The reason he never is because the club wasn't willing to gamble on DCL's fitness and leave us with only one striker in Beto had DCL been injured as much as he had been the last 2 seasons.

I think, personally, should DCL leave this summer, we won't replace him and go into next season with Beto and Chermitti as our 2 options. Either way, I reckon any money we can spend in that area will go towards a no.10 / 2nd striker rather than an out and out no.9.

The whole "He bought Maupay" thing is true.

But Maupay is sellable. He's 27, average PL wage, decent PL goalscoring record, fits a certain type of playing style. He'll have suitors that we can get £10mill+ for him.

Everyone else we couldn't shift (pre Thelwell) were tied up on £100k a week contracts we couldn't shift.

Yeah exactly, people don't like to hear it but Maupay is a decent player. He doesn't suit being a lone striker is any system, much less a Dyche one. There will be interest.

I think the Beto deal was structured in a way where no money or very little money was paid at the time.

When you say that any Bosman would have been better is there someone you had in mind or just a general comment because I would guess that with our financial situation that we would happily sign a player for nothing rather than pay a fee.

Where are the cheap markets now? Certainly not in England.
Bringing players in from abroad is always a risk even when you pay a substantial fee as we know only too well.
Celtic dont seem to do to bad from the Asian leagues for very small outlays I know its a poor league but the ones we see week in week out look to have pace and can finish

Yeah exactly, people don't like to hear it but Maupay is a decent player. He doesn't suit being a lone striker is any system, much less a Dyche one. There will be interest.
I used to think this but Brentford are losing goals in Toney this summer, know Maupay from previous spells, had him score a decent handful, know we need cash and that we would probably accept his book value (under 10mil).

And despite this they are happy for him to go. Says a lot.

The whole "He bought Maupay" thing is true.

But Maupay is sellable. He's 27, average PL wage, decent PL goalscoring record, fits a certain type of playing style. He'll have suitors that we can get £10mill+ for him.

Everyone else we couldn't shift (pre Thelwell) were tied up on £100k a week contracts we couldn't shift.

No he won’t. Someone might try and scab another loan out of us. But you are living on a different plain of reality entirely if you think we are getting £10m+ for him.

That did not happen as much as you want to believe it

So Moshiri gets the credit then? Chong?

It’s a strange game where you just refuse to give anyone any credit at all, eventually it gets a bit circular.

Just who is responsible for us moving from a team mired in back to back relegation battles to a team that would have recorded 48 points and been in 12th position? Is it all Sean Dyche? It didn’t happen by magic.

So Moshiri gets the credit then? Chong?

It’s a strange game where you just refuse to give anyone any credit at all, eventually it gets a bit circular.

Just who is responsible for us moving from a team mired in back to back relegation battles to a team that would have recorded 48 points and been in 12th position? Is it all Sean Dyche? It didn’t happen by magic.
Cry all you want but Kevin Thelwell had no say in the appointment of Sean Dyche.

And it was Sean Dyche, through his pure pragmatic approach to games which got us 48 points. Regardless of my opinion of him as a tactician, that is on him and him alone

Cry all you want but Kevin Thelwell had no say in the appointment of Sean Dyche.

And it was Sean Dyche, through his pure pragmatic approach to games which got us 48 points. Regardless of my opinion of him as a tactician, that is on him and him alone

Where’s the evidence that Thelwell had absolutely ‘no say’ in the appointment?

Crying? Your literal existence on this forum is you just piss your pants about everything. Although it’s nice to see some personal growth from you giving an ounce of credit to any Everton manager.

A. I dont see where you know that, and B. I would have figured that Harrison, Young, Onana, McNeil, Garner, Gana, Tarks all played a part in those 48 points considering they.....ya know....LITERALLY played for large parts of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back