2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He finished the season as their 5th choice striker. I just don’t think they rate him to be honest.

He got player of the season there this season like.

Again I think it's just like us with Harrison, well liked, efforts appreciated, would like to retain, but we won't be spending 15+ mil or however much Leeds value him.

Brentford spend very wisely, so not surprised they aren't committing right away.

Again I think it's just like us with Harrison, well liked, efforts appreciated, would like to retain, but we won't be spending 15+ mil or however much Leeds value him.

Brentford spend very wisely, so not surprised they aren't committing right away.

No he didn’t :lol:

A. Beto cost us a lot more than £15m. Just because we paid less than that upfront doesn't mean he costs less than that. £25+m for 5 goals off the bench seems expensive to me and not a good signing.
B. And they were both considered to be flops and have been the subject of ridicule.

You have also suggested that we would get a combined £25m for Maupay and Beto which mitigates Thelwell's decision to buy them. I think that is highly optimistic and, even if we were to get that fee, would represent a significant loss on the pair for very little on field return.
For what it's worth, in other areas of the pitch I think Thelwell has done alright, not great but alright, but up front he's had a mare.

It goes back to the original point though. Getting a striker in who bangs in 10+ a season is difficult regardless of how much you spend.

Out of the top 20 players who hit 10 or more last season, 5 or 6 cost less than around £25mill (discounting academy players like Foden and Saka). 8 of them overall are strikers, the rest attacking midfielders.

Personally think he had a mare with Maupay as he doesn't fit the club or style. Beto offers a lot more, suits the style (others argue he doesn't but that's for the Beto thread), and it's more about his overall game than scoring.

This is not me saying he's a world beater or anything, he's useable. I just think while it is arguable too high a fee for what you get, there's more factors to it - for eg getting a similar player for less but paying more upfront which we couldn't do.

To add with he whole selling on part..at least they're sellable assets rather than being "wait your contact out FC"

A. Beto cost us a lot more than £15m. Just because we paid less than that upfront doesn't mean he costs less than that. £25+m for 5 goals off the bench seems expensive to me and not a good signing.
B. And they were both considered to be flops and have been the subject of ridicule.

You have also suggested that we would get a combined £25m for Maupay and Beto which mitigates Thelwell's decision to buy them. I think that is highly optimistic and, even if we were to get that fee, would represent a significant loss on the pair for very little on field return.
For what it's worth, in other areas of the pitch I think Thelwell has done alright, not great but alright, but up front he's had a mare.
The underlying issue has been due to DCL’s injury problems and the obvious uncertainty regarding the prognosis over the last two years. Given the fact we only play 1 up top, what sort of striker who’s any good, in our price range and will contribute 5-15 goals a season can we get to play 2nd fiddle to Dom.

When fit DCL is a starter he suits how we play (rightly or wrongly!) Maupay was an obvious stop gap for relatively little money to fill a role while DCL got fit in 4-5 games… only as it’s Everton he missed a huge chunk of the season and Maupay was badly exposed as a poor fit (and in my opinion a poor player)

Beto was completely the opposite, a very similar in style player to DCL (tall, can lead the line etc) lone strikers obviously cost more and we didn’t have a pot to piss in and Udinese where the only club who would accept a buy now pay via klarna in the future but at an inflated price

In the end we ended up lose lose both will not start next season if DCL is fit and still here, both have contracts we have to pay (and transfer fees) and Dom has been so injury prone he sale value is in the toilet

The underlying issue has been due to DCL’s injury problems and the obvious uncertainty regarding the prognosis over the last two years. Given the fact we only play 1 up top, what sort of striker who’s any good, in our price range and will contribute 5-15 goals a season can we get to play 2nd fiddle to Dom.

When fit DCL is a starter he suits how we play (rightly or wrongly!) Maupay was an obvious stop gap for relatively little money to fill a role while DCL got fit in 4-5 games… only as it’s Everton he missed a huge chunk of the season and Maupay was badly exposed as a poor fit (and in my opinion a poor player)

Beto was completely the opposite, a very similar in style player to DCL (tall, can lead the line etc) lone strikers obviously cost more and we didn’t have a pot to piss in and Udinese where the only club who would accept a buy now pay via klarna in the future but at an inflated price

In the end we ended up lose lose both will not start next season if DCL is fit and still here, both have contracts we have to pay (and transfer fees) and Dom has been so injury prone he sale value is in the toilet

But when he’s not injured he’s a huge difference with why we won’t sell him he’s worth more to us

To add with he whole selling on part..at least they're sellable assets rather than being "wait your contact out FC"
We'll see about this last point. Beto smacks of leaving on a free in three years time to me. I reckon we'll sell Maupay but I think there's a good chance it'll be for less than his book value which helps with cash flow but screws us on PSR. A loan might actually be the best solution for him, thinking about it. With his outbursts in the press he's done here, the fans will crucify him if he stays and has an inevitable bad run.

We spent £50m on Maupay, Beto and Chermiti. Now, maybe Chermiti will come good, god knows we all need that to happen, but £40m on Maupay and Beto is a ridiculous outlay and is a terrible indictment on Thelwell's ability to spot a forward. I'm also not convinced that DCL is here next season. If he doesn't sign a contract in the next couple of weeks then we'll have to sell him, if only for the PSR boost.

No it’s Beto Zat, we enquired about him after his initial loan period with Udinese then went back in the January transfer window with a deadline day bid

Didnt know we had enquired, should have gone for Dia instead. Hes kicked off and gone on strike and with his team relegated theyre looking for £12.5mil for him.

Much better suited to our system.

Beto's signing was an immediate need for a back up to DCL who was more ready to step into the side and Chermitti is viewed as one for the future.

Dyche himself said that ideally Chermitti should have went out on loan this season. The reason he never is because the club wasn't willing to gamble on DCL's fitness and leave us with only one striker in Beto had DCL been injured as much as he had been the last 2 seasons.

I think, personally, should DCL leave this summer, we won't replace him and go into next season with Beto and Chermitti as our 2 options. Either way, I reckon any money we can spend in that area will go towards a no.10 / 2nd striker rather than an out and out no.9.

I think Dyche will stick with Doucoure but there needs someone to come in and develop over 12months so we can improve the technical level in the position.

I used to think this but Brentford are losing goals in Toney this summer, know Maupay from previous spells, had him score a decent handful, know we need cash and that we would probably accept his book value (under 10mil).

And despite this they are happy for him to go. Says a lot.

Why haven’t Brentford bought him then?

They have signed Igor Thiago for £30mil+

No he won’t. Someone might try and scab another loan out of us. But you are living on a different plain of reality entirely if you think we are getting £10m+ for him.

Strange view this...no reason why we wouldnt have a buyer for him over the window.

He finished the season as their 5th choice striker. I just don’t think they rate him to be honest.

They signed Igor Thiago. They have not sold Toney as yet.

Also made a point of saying they still hold an option on him.

Toney goes maybe they buy him.

Beto 939 mins = 3 goals

Is that bad?

For point B are you referring to Hojlund? Hardly a flop.

Deffo a joke if Onana is in there.

Every single day...a weird negative post.

Agreed, Toney goes and i think they sign Maupay

It goes back to the original point though. Getting a striker in who bangs in 10+ a season is difficult regardless of how much you spend.

Out of the top 20 players who hit 10 or more last season, 5 or 6 cost less than around £25mill (discounting academy players like Foden and Saka). 8 of them overall are strikers, the rest attacking midfielders.

Personally think he had a mare with Maupay as he doesn't fit the club or style. Beto offers a lot more, suits the style (others argue he doesn't but that's for the Beto thread), and it's more about his overall game than scoring.

This is not me saying he's a world beater or anything, he's useable. I just think while it is arguable too high a fee for what you get, there's more factors to it - for eg getting a similar player for less but paying more upfront which we couldn't do.

Its been stated by Bobble and posted 100s of times that Thelwell didnt approve Maupay

We spent £50m on Maupay, Beto and Chermiti. Now, maybe Chermiti will come good, god knows we all need that to happen, but £40m on Maupay and Beto is a ridiculous outlay and is a terrible indictment on Thelwell's ability to spot a forward. I'm also not convinced that DCL is here next season. If he doesn't sign a contract in the next couple of weeks then we'll have to sell him, if only for the PSR boost.

I dont really rate Beto in our team but some tweaking by playing the ball ahead of him, especially in counter attacking situations and I suspect he'd score more than DCL.

DCL was great in the last half a dozen games...along with Gana.

Just as his contract came to within 12months and Ganas was about to expire.

Coincidence? We'll see.

We'll see about this last point. Beto smacks of leaving on a free in three years time to me. I reckon we'll sell Maupay but I think there's a good chance it'll be for less than his book value which helps with cash flow but screws us on PSR. A loan might actually be the best solution for him, thinking about it. With his outbursts in the press he's done here, the fans will crucify him if he stays and has an inevitable bad run.

Loan with obligation at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back