2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wages down - high earners left at the end of their contract.

Net spend down - The club hasn’t a penny to its name

Points up - He does not manage the team

But kudos for spending £40m on Beto and Maupay and not making any significant progress in the youth department

Sold Iwobi & Gray for GOOD* MONEY

*unbelievable fees were obtained, comparable to selling Keane & Holgate.

He spent 18 months chasing him and 6 months chasing Danjuma, signs them and the manager just literally bins them

Pissed £30m up the wall. But doing a great job

18months chasing Beto ? Eh?

You're then getting into specifics though. Your scouting a back up to Dom. There's a tier and a price, then wages, age, then how a deal is structured. If Beto is on a list thats a bit higher in price but ticks all the other boxes, that fits our structure, the boss likes him, he gets signed.

There's a list of other strikers we went for (Bereton Diaz, Gyokeres off the top of my head) that binned us off for example.
None of this actually says......................................Beto was a good decision though does it mate!

What im saying mate is.......if your buying a back up to Dom, than you can find better value in loans, free's or players a little bit older to fill that gap!

What i will say in defense of this is, this time last summer the common opinion was we needed to sign a first choice striker as Dom couldn't be relied on! If you are looking for a Dom replacement this time last year, i think anyone would/could justify spending £30m for that (if that's all we had available). I think if Beto didn't exist and we were in the market for a Dom back up this season though, we would probably go a different route to spending £30m on someone so poor!

Why is it barking? He was on the bench to cover LB and when our LB got injured he never got a single minute.

He never had a future here.
Clearly. But the fact he was considered "enough" to be included in the match day squads, in my head says that he was probably worthy of keeping an eye on. I get it, it's life as a footballer. I'm not precious about Makensie Hunt, I would however like to see more younger talented lads brought through and developed.

Why did they allow him to buy Beto and Chermiti then?
They were bought 1 year later and the climate was a bit different by then. BK was not physically fit by that stage, the rest of the board had resigned and FM didn't seem to care any more

You know how fickle us fans are. Spend no money and it's "where's the new attacking players Kev!". Spend money on crap players it's "Yeah! New players!" Until after we've seen how crap they are.

Oh absolutely... he;s in a no win situation for certain things... if we hadn't signed Maupay, there would have been plenty of people bemoaning not signing a PL striker for 'only' £15million.

Clearly. But the fact he was considered "enough" to be included in the match day squads, in my head says that he was probably worthy of keeping an eye on. I get it, it's life as a footballer. I'm not precious about Makensie Hunt, I would however like to see more younger talented lads brought through and developed.

Pretty certain he was on there as just an "if these 6 people get injured we have no choice" option.

Jury’s come back in, yeah, just as I thought Beto is carp. He’s not up to it.

He’s another Keane, but he’s a forward, allegedly, rather than a defender. Only difference is Keane has been here longer, and been given a stupid contract so we know how shoite he is. Beto, we’ll give it another season.. he will be in the same boat as Keane, or holgate.

Hopefully you're wrong, but we'll see.

None of this actually says......................................Beto was a good decision though does it mate!

What im saying mate is.......if your buying a back up to Dom, than you can find better value in loans, free's or players a little bit older to fill that gap!

What i will say in defense of this is, this time last summer the common opinion was we needed to sign a first choice striker as Dom couldn't be relied on! If you are looking for a Dom replacement this time last year, i think anyone would/could justify spending £30m for that (if that's all we had available). I think if Beto didn't exist and we were in the market for a Dom back up this season though, we would probably go a different route to spending £30m on someone so poor!

Can you though? And if they could, don't you think they would have? Considering loan fees, signing on fees, wages each year. Pretty sure that would've been looked at.

As for the £26mill fee...that's getting covered at £8mill over 3 seasons (we didn't pay anything for him this season on his 4 year deal). If he flops hard, he gets sold for £15mill of so.

Personally don't find Beto poor. He slots into the system well and like the entire squad his finishing is wanting. It's his first season and he did ok in my book.

How do you know they won't adapt? How is calling Jackson a guaranteed starter being kind? He got 19 goal involvements in 35 appearances for Chelsea. Disasi and Wharton were also guaranteed starters last season. Harvey Barnes not quite guaranteed because of injuries and Gordon coming through but still guaranteed a good chunk of games. Wasn't JWP also a nailed on starter before he got injured?

Timber, Scott, Ugochukwu, Dragusin, Gravenberch, Baleba, Collins, Schade, Franca all way too early to judge and may yet prove to be very good value.

Livramento has been brilliant for NUFC when fit, and has a full England international ahead of him. Still only 21-22 so how can you say he offers no value for money.

Your argument is full of holes.
How do you know they will?

Sorry, i did miss JWP off that list your correct on that one!

I'm not having Harvey Barnes is a guaranteed starter for Newcastle......but if he is, he takes another £40m signing....Anthony Gordon out the team!.....squad players!

You say all those names as way to early to judge but you can look back over time and see players of that ilk and that 'average PL price tag for the time' not quite make the grade, no matter what stipulations you want to throw in, they are still big, big fee's for SQUAD PLAYERS at best.........Collins on a side note has had 3 seasons in the PL and played for 3 sides btw, how much time does he need?

Liveremento played 40% of Newcastles minutes last season, but only missed 4 games because of injury...availible for 38 games...........SQUAD PLAYER

For every £40m Harvey Barnes, there is a Morgan Rodgers, Justin Kluivert or Anthony Elangaat a far more valued fee, that represent value!

For every Tino Liveremento there is a Max Aarons, Daniel Munoz or Ola Aina, again represent far bestter value

For every alex Scott there is a James McAtee (loan), Gus Hamer,, Sander Berge

I'm not necesarilly arguing about if these players are good or not! Its just the value of them!
We spent £12m on Nathan Patterson who cant get past Seamus Coleman or Ashley Young
We have £52m worth of centre back back up in Michael Keane & Ben Godfrey who cant get past a free transfer & a £2m kid!
Amadou Onana cost £30m and he lost his place to free transfer Idrissa Gueye

Do you see what i'm saying! These players get bought, and they get lost in the 'squad game' but what's the point when a lot of these players are of similar ability?

Keep your money and only buy big if its a guarentee!

Can you though? And if they could, don't you think they would have? Considering loan fees, signing on fees, wages each year. Pretty sure that would've been looked at.

As for the £26mill fee...that's getting covered at £8mill over 3 seasons (we didn't pay anything for him this season on his 4 year deal). If he flops hard, he gets sold for £15mill of so.

Personally don't find Beto poor. He slots into the system well and like the entire squad his finishing is wanting. It's his first season and he did ok in my book.
Difference of opinions i think on this one which is fair enough, i think he plays with ice skates on and would have Jerry Yates ahead of him!

Pretty certain he was on there as just an "if these 6 people get injured we have no choice" option.
I think Ian Woan had a kit on under his tight trackie for this scenario! Hunt was just there to lube him up to get those tight trousers off!

Goalscorer is the hardest part to get though.

Most clubs in the league all want a striker, have bought a flop, or don't rate what they've got.

And he's a back up for competition on low/average wages that fits a system. If he clicks next season and gets about 5 a season and improves his all round game, it's a good signing.
5 a season? For a centre forward? That's not a good signing. Especially in a team that already struggles for goals.

How many goals have maupay, Beto and chemiti contributed for 50m quid?

We have been so desperate for any kind of firepower and he thought these three were the answer.

Chemiti has had a good couple of mins. So let’s not get carried away.

Was going Kev was leaving as the Esk mentioned a while back. Prob another thing he’s got wrong

5 a season? For a centre forward? That's not a good signing. Especially in a team that already struggles for goals.

Off the bench. To fill in. Add competition.

By the sounds of things a lot of people really wanted is a loan or up to £15mill for a 10 a season back up striker

United and the RS spent £80mill each to get about 10 goals last season

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back