2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Thelwell's done a lot of good with the wage bill and scraping back money for jarg players, but I'm a little worried that he's doing a lot of "targeting" and not a lot of signing. Hopefully Ndiaye isn't the only/headline signing we get this window. We need Dom out if he's not re-signing and that money needs to go to pacey RWs. Bit too many reports of "X player wanted to go to Everton, but the deal fell through" during his time with the club so far.

I think Thelwell's done a lot of good with the wage bill and scraping back money for jarg players, but I'm a little worried that he's doing a lot of "targeting" and not a lot of signing. Hopefully Ndiaye isn't the only/headline signing we get this window. We need Dom out if he's not re-signing and that money needs to go to pacey RWs. Bit too many reports of "X player wanted to go to Everton, but the deal fell through" during his time with the club so far.
He’s not responsible for that though in any way shape or form. He’s clearly had his hands tied behind his back at this club with an absolute pittance to work with. Some on here use Beto and Chermitti as a stick to beat him with, but do the same people think they would be here if the director of football had actual money to invest? They were signed because they were the players their clubs were happy to defer payments on and accept a “no instant fee” deal with relatively small staggered payments after that. He’s having to shop in a completely different market to just about everyone else in the league currently.

There were reliable journalists saying Minteh wanted to come here. If we had the money he’d be here already. But the deal “fell through” because the only way possible for us to get him was trading Calvert Lewin in the same deal. If DCL doesn’t agree the deal (which he didn’t), the move for Minteh can’t take place. How is that Thelwell’s fault?

Last edited:

The last we were told, we didn't have a pot to urinate in, so I'd be interested to know if that has changed slightly

The PSR thing is sort of separate - all the deals we did made sense in that context.

The NDiaye signing is a step in the right direction (in my opinion at least) to address some of the issues we had last season, but there are so many things that need looking at over the next two months:

• We have one proper left back in the squad
  • We have two right backs who are, to put it politely, past their peaks and another who's usually injured and Dyche doesn't seem to fancy anyway
  • We have two centre backs that nobody wants to see near the team and who are out of contract in 12 months anyway so need replacing one way or another
  • We have a very distinct lack of quality through the middle of midfield and we'll be selling our brightest prospect there this summer anyway
  • We have two wingers in the squad, both of whom are left footers, more comfortable playing from the left and are not what you would call quick
  • We have a striker who doesn't want to sign a new deal who is the focal point of the team and needs to be sold and replaced rather than being allowed to walk away for free next year
If the budget to address all this is effectively zero, it's a huge task to get this done properly

Could do with some support from owners .. but we don't relaly have any.

Hasn't done anything dreadful in the window yet - time will tell if we have a squad capable of staying up again.

I'd have the Branthwaite situation at the top of my list - if we lose him then we don't have a first choice CB pairing.

There's plenty more to sort out of course.

This place will explode if he signs Broja.

His poor scouting is destroying our budget year in year out by wasting funds to replace the flop from previous season.

Single handedly waste everything we earn from Gordon and richy.

This place will explode if he signs Broja.

His poor scouting is destroying our budget year in year out by wasting funds to replace the flop from previous season.

Single handedly waste everything we earn from Gordon and richy.
Although I agree with the comment about Broja, who is not worth the risk, cannot agree with the rest of this. My understanding is that Thelwell and his team collate scouting information and provide data to enable the club to buy, or loan, players that are believed to be necessary and fit the bill - within the economic constraints that are currently in force. Most of the funds from sales of Gordon and Richardson were used to pay back loans and interest and not available to him for strengthening the team, so how he can be blamed for single-handedly wasting everything we earned from those sales is beyond me.

The last we were told, we didn't have a pot to urinate in, so I'd be interested to know if that has changed slightly

The PSR thing is sort of separate - all the deals we did made sense in that context.

The NDiaye signing is a step in the right direction (in my opinion at least) to address some of the issues we had last season, but there are so many things that need looking at over the next two months:

• We have one proper left back in the squad
  • We have two right backs who are, to put it politely, past their peaks and another who's usually injured and Dyche doesn't seem to fancy anyway
  • We have two centre backs that nobody wants to see near the team and who are out of contract in 12 months anyway so need replacing one way or another
  • We have a very distinct lack of quality through the middle of midfield and we'll be selling our brightest prospect there this summer anyway
  • We have two wingers in the squad, both of whom are left footers, more comfortable playing from the left and are not what you would call quick
  • We have a striker who doesn't want to sign a new deal who is the focal point of the team and needs to be sold and replaced rather than being allowed to walk away for free next year
If the budget to address all this is effectively zero, it's a huge task to get this done properly
It's going to be another season of make do and mend, there's no way we can address all of our issues this season If we can get shut of Patterson, sign a first team right back and a second string left back, a striker to replace DCL if he goes and Ndidi to replace Onana if he goes that would do me for this season. We'll have to live with Keane and Holgate as our centre half backups and hope Branthwaite and Tarkowski stay fit.

Although I agree with the comment about Broja, who is not worth the risk, cannot agree with the rest of this. My understanding is that Thelwell and his team collate scouting information and provide data to enable the club to buy, or loan, players that are believed to be necessary and fit the bill - within the economic constraints that are currently in force. Most of the funds from sales of Gordon and Richardson were used to pay back loans and interest and not available to him for strengthening the team, so how he can be blamed for single-handedly wasting everything we earned from those sales is beyond me.
I understand repaying loan and all that.

What I’m saying is,
Maupet 13m?
Beto 30m?
Chermiti 13m?
He is indeed wasting whatever balance funds we had on striker who either can’t score, slow or struggling to adapt and here we are repeating the same mistake with Broja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back