Kirkby Move - Yes or No?

Yes or No to the move to Kirkby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never heard of a public company giving funds to other businesses. If I was a Tesco shareholder I wouldn't be happy that my investment was giving away £55m to what is effectively a failing business.

I think you might be getting mixed up with something last summer when a Tesco spokesman (not Leahy) denied Wyness's claims of £50m but that was last summer before the ballot. A lot has happened since then and I don't think anyone has denied Earl's clear public claims of the £55m cheque.
i think maybe earl is mixed up. this project has been worked on for over 2 years, so i'm sure tesco know whether they're giving us £50 million for our stadium. they've said not. earl doesn't represent tesco.

I still think my back garden is the best place.

I will embrace the ground, and hug it, and love it, and squeeze it and call it George.

I have never heard of a public company giving funds to other businesses. If I was a Tesco shareholder I wouldn't be happy that my investment was giving away £55m to what is effectively a failing business.

plenty of ways to skin a cat.

"if everton move our company will be allowed to build the biggest tesco in britain on prime land in a densely populated area. that we help everton move means we pay a much reduced rate for the land and the planning.

your share value will increase on the back of this one project.

dont be such short sighted imbiciles. its our work that has seen you reaping rewards for X amount of years. in future engage your brains before getting uppity."

if you're trying to suggest that everton will get £50 million because the share price will go up (double?), then by the same token a successful project would presumably boost tesco's share price, so wouldn't that mean that everton had "given" tesco £X million? of course, this overlooks that fact that the club wouldn't see any of this money as it would be the shareholders who would benefit (what an incentive for any who may wish to sell at a profit!), whilst the club would be left with the debt incurred to fund the development.

plenty of ways to skin a cat.

"if everton move our company will be allowed to build the biggest tesco in britain on prime land in a densely populated area. that we help everton move means we pay a much reduced rate for the land and the planning.

your share value will increase on the back of this one project.

dont be such short sighted imbiciles. its our work that has seen you reaping rewards for X amount of years. in future engage your brains before getting uppity."

if you're trying to suggest that everton will get £50 million because the share price will go up (double?), then by the same token a successful project would presumably boost tesco's share price, so wouldn't that mean that everton had "given" tesco £X million? of course, this overlooks that fact that the club wouldn't see any of this money as it would be the shareholders who would benefit (what an incentive for any who may wish to sell at a profit!), whilst the club would be left with the debt incurred to fund the development.

This is all just a big load of [Poor language removed]. No one is getting anywhere with this arguement. Ye're just all twisting each others words to suit yourselves and it will never get anywhere. I thought you said you were a neutral again DENNIS?? Doesn't seem that way. What are you on about anyway just because we help boost their share price doesn't mean we are giving them money. I dont wanna get sucked into this arguement but that's just stupid DENNIS.

This is all just a big load of [Poor language removed]. No one is getting anywhere with this arguement. Ye're just all twisting each others words to suit yourselves and it will never get anywhere. I thought you said you were a neutral again DENNIS?? Doesn't seem that way. What are you on about anyway just because we help boost their share price doesn't mean we are giving them money. I dont wanna get sucked into this arguement but that's just stupid DENNIS.
it's what i thought suitsblue was suggesting was happening as the route by which tesco would "give" everton £50million & you're quite right that would be stupid, so i'm glad you've picked up on that. but maybe that isn't what suitsblue meant, if so, no doubt he'll clarify later.
the term "neutral" was a term of abuse by halewood blue who feels more comfortable with everybody being either "pro-" or "anti-". i'm "pro-" everton & if kirkby can be shown to be good for the club, great, but at the moment my point of view has moved from enthusiastic to sceptical.
so i'm not saying that tesco have denied that they'd give us £50 million towards the stadium because i'm anti-kirkby, but because it's true & for me that raises questions as to the viability of the project. i'm not trying to preach or convince, just asking questions.

"I don't see why there would be a problem with 50,000 getting to a much more open plan stadium, with a hell of a lot more car/coach parking."

Blie Lou has been very patient through this long exchange of posts - just to reiterate, read the travel plan that has been conveniently been linked for you! There is no intention to provide car parking on any vast scale around the proposed stadium; it will be limited to club and match officials and corporates. Therefore car parking cannot be used as 'plus' for Kirkby over the status quo at Goodison. There will be no parking in the retail car parks unless you're addicted to £30 fines. Further, Everton will pay for the Residents Parking Scheme, something currently provided for free by LCC (knew that they were useful for something!). As for coach parking, this benefits out-of-towners and away fans; the park and ride arrangements for home supporters (the vast majority of any attendance - hopefully a non-contentious statement, but you never know) will be the other side of Valley Road.

I was just on google earth now, I walked from the bottom of Wapping St. to Goodison Park and that distance is just about the distance from Goodison Park to Kirkby, whats the problem again?

some evertonians actually care what the red [Poor language removed] say.

being around a few of them they can be somewhat irritable. but if its banter they want, then give it to them, both barrels.

It's not the distance from Goodison Park or the council boundaries that are the problem. It's the direction (in more ways than one).

The club should be looking to move to the city centre as that is where the corporate money can be made and that is where the public transport infrasture is already in place (saving us millions in the long term).

Kirkby population: 42,000. Stadium capacity: 50,000 rising to 60,000 (70,000 in the future if micknick's deleted post is anything to go by), at the very beginning.. the capacity of the stadium is one fifth larger than the town's population.

Also there is the small matter of playground politics or the 'wool' consideration. It is not my intention to disrespect those who live in Kirkby (they are scouse, Scottie Road exiles mostly). Children in the city will undoubtedly criticise/bully/persecute those who support the 'wool' club (the team not in the city), some will switch allegiance to avoid the insults and this will undoubtedly affect our long term support.

Maybe so Lou, but is it any different to the kids growing up throughout the 90's who have had to endure all their success and our blatant lack of it? - the divine will become even greater (if thats possible) if they build a new ground and continue to have even more money.

I also dont see your population argument? Were are you going with that?

It's not the distance from Goodison Park or the council boundaries that are the problem. It's the direction (in more ways than one).

The club should be looking to move to the city centre as that is where the corporate money can be made and that is where the public transport infrasture is already in place (saving us millions in the long term).

Kirkby population: 42,000. Stadium capacity: 50,000 rising to 60,000 (70,000 in the future if micknick's deleted post is anything to go by), at the very beginning.. the capacity of the stadium is one fifth larger than the town's population.

Also there is the small matter of playground politics or the 'wool' consideration. It is not my intention to disrespect those who live in Kirkby (they are scouse, Scottie Road exiles mostly). Children in the city will undoubtedly criticise/bully/persecute those who support the 'wool' club (the team not in the city), some will switch allegiance to avoid the insults and this will undoubtedly affect our long term support.

That point you make about comparing the Kirkby population to the capacity of the stadium is irrelevent. What the hell has Kirkby's population got to do with the capacity?

Secondly the club has no divine right to dictate where they can move too, i'd love us to build on Walton Hall Park but the council ruled that out, there is no site available and big enough in the city centre.

Thirdly, I couldn't give a toss about kids getting criticised by little rs oiks in future years, no kid will get more stick than what I and many others my age grew up with when they were winning European Cups and I handled myself pretty well. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back