Kirkby Move - Yes or No?

Yes or No to the move to Kirkby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same park and ride plans could be sanctioned for Goodison, the difference is Goodison doesn't need it whilst they are the crutch for Kirkby.

Knowsley Industrial estate apparently has 6640 car parking places, if these were made available to Goodison for a park and ride scheme, do you think it would be at full capacity?

The principle is the same, there is no demand for parking in Kirkby whilst Everton play in Goodison yet the club are expecting fans park in Liverpool (District) and bus up to Kirkby. It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I'm not going to get political on here, but it is clear that the council are favouring one plan over an other most likely due to financial gains, saying that Kirkby are in a win-win situation from where I am sitting.

How is the council favouring one over another? Two planning applications have been submitted, a small one from Development Securities for a small amount of land north of Cherryfield Drive and one from Tesco Stores, Knowsley council have said both can theoretically go ahead as they don't clash. If Development Securities want to make a more extensive planning application on land to the south of Cherryfield Drive then they can do so but Tesco are a few months ahead of them on that land and their application. It should be noted as well that people in Kirkby don't want an Asda after what they said about the people of Kirkby when they left a couple of years ago.

sam, I said I didn't want to get political but Knowsley council are trying their hardest to push it through. They realise that if they offered a referendum to Kirkby residents, the result will be very close and they may well get a no, so they are aiming to water down the votes and encouraging those from elsewhere in the borough who will be less affected than those in Croxteth (Liverpool) and Maghull(Sefton) to state their support of the project.

Did I type 55,401? Must have been a typo :)

I think the deadline was extended but can't remember what it was changed to. It was meant to be Monday two weeks ago.

suitsblue, would you object to a stadium on your doorstep if you were in their position? 60+ acres of greenspace lost in your town centre for a retail park ? I would be, the residents were offered a leisure facility, if they wish to use the facility they have to pay £30+.

sam, I said I didn't want to get political but Knowsley council are trying their hardest to push it through. They realise that if they offered a referendum to Kirkby residents, the result will be very close and they may well get a no, so they are aiming to water down the votes and encouraging those from elsewhere in the borough who will be less affected than those in Croxteth (Liverpool) and Maghull(Sefton) to state their support of the project.

Did I type 55,401? Must have been a typo :)

I think the deadline was extended but can't remember what it was changed to. It was meant to be Monday two weeks ago.

suitsblue, would you object to a stadium on your doorstep if you were in their position? 60+ acres of greenspace lost in your town centre for a retail park ? I would be, the residents were offered a leisure facility, if they wish to use the facility they have to pay £30+.

The deadline was the 11th Feb, then it was extended to the 20th, I haven't heard of a further extension since then, if it hasn't been extended then making further objections is pointless but if it will make KRAG feel better by having 3,000/4,000/10,000/100,000 objections by the autumn then good on them. :P

As for the 55,401 typo, you might have got away with it on one line but the whole doc was littered with mentions of 55,401 which renders it useless, the capacity will be 5,000 less than that at 50,401.

but its ok to lose a grade three listed park like stanley park?

its the picking and choosing of when scorn is poured that i object too.

i wonder how many will complain at the jobs and increased value of the area (then houses)

if they dont want a world class development on their doorstep (how many can actually boast that?) then they can always sell up and move to the hebrides.

The deadline was the 11th Feb, then it was extended to the 20th, I haven't heard of a further extension since then, if it hasn't been extended then making further objections is pointless but if it will make KRAG feel better by having 3,000/4,000/10,000/100,000 objections by the autumn then good on them. :P

As for the 55,401 typo, you might have got away with it on one line but the whole doc was littered with mentions of 55,401 which renders it useless, the capacity will be 5,000 less than that at 50,401.

I've just caught on to what you were referring to, the document you posted has nothing to do with me :)

Sam, even the Lib Dem councillor (Ian Smith) has said there is bias, he said it was skewed towards to the Tesco project. You may argue that he's saying that for political gain and you'd probably be right but an anomynous Knowsley council planner in the Echo said the same thing.

suitsblue, you're picking and choosing who to pour scorn on. What I said was If I was a Kirkby resident I wouldn't be happy about losing 60+ of green land acres. If I was an anfield resident I wouldn't be happy with Anfield being demolished and a replacement built across the road on a victorian covenant either. You seem to harbour an 'if it's good enough for them...' atitude.

What I have said is I favour a ground near the city centre on land that a succesful business is willing to allow Everton to use and has excellent public transport links. The club are saying they are looking to spend £110million on a stadium away from Kirkby tha they will not own, I am asking why can't they look into the city centre site.

Don't forget this is a site that the city council leader and liverpool labour leader have ear marked as a definite potential site, the people behind Wembley and Emirates agree, the man who proved to Newcastle Council and Newcastle United that St. James Park has agreed. If a vote was sent to fans asking if they would like the club to move to Scotland Road then you can put your mortgage on it that the more than 59% would vote yes. Just look at the vote results on this topic, to see how divided the fanbase is.

Last edited:
but its ok to lose a grade three listed park like stanley park?

its the picking and choosing of when scorn is poured that i object too.

i wonder how many will complain at the jobs and increased value of the area (then houses)

if they dont want a world class development on their doorstep (how many can actually boast that?) then they can always sell up and move to the hebrides.

the land used by LFC on Stanley Park is being replaced by the bulldozing of the existing Anfield Stadium and around 2,000 houses that LFC own around it, which will be turned into greenspace and parkland.

As for "world class development" - which part of it will be "world class" ?

The Tesco? Maybe. The stadium? No chance - not according to the planning application at any rate.

how will everton finance the kirkby solution?

Some small additional debt - way behind the debt levels of some of our rivals AND a £55m non-reimbursable cheque off Tesco, £40m stadium rights deal, minimum £25m from sale of Bellefield and Goodison and perhaps a £10m donation from the NWDA towards the community facilities at the new ground - there's a cool £130m without digging to much.

See that was easy. (y)

Now - how is your Goodison redevelopment or other newly discovered BIG stadium site (not yet found) going to be financed without enabling from someone like Tesco?

Last edited:
Some small additional debt - way behind the debt levels of some of our rivals AND a £55m non-reimbursable cheque off Tesco, £40m stadium rights deal, minimum £25m from sale of Bellefield and Goodison and perhaps a £10m donation from the NWDA towards the community facilities at the new ground - there's a cool £130m without digging to much.

See that was easy. (y)

Now - how is your Goodison redevelopment or other newly discovered BIG stadium site (not yet found) going to be financed without enabling from someone like Tesco?
leahy has clearly stated tesco won't put a penny into the stadium, so perhaps you could explain that "enabling" in a little more detail.

leahy has clearly stated tesco won't put a penny into the stadium, so perhaps you could explain that "enabling" in a little more detail.

Sorry to piss on your chips but Leahy hasn't said a dickie bird about us not getting £55m. One of our directors after the AGM told the Liverpool Echo this though - "We are getting a non reimbursable cheque for £55m from Tesco and it is absolute manna from heaven." No one from Tesco has since rebutted that claim. By the way it was reported in one of the Sunday papers a few weeks back that we are negotiating a minimum £40m for stadium naming rights which may cover the last two years of us at Goodison as well as the first few years at the new ground.

Now i've explained where £120m can easily come from (£10m from the NWDA should be possible too) so you explain how your £250m+ can be raised for a better than cheap and nasty stadium elsewhere.

The forum floor is open to you matey....(y)

Email sent to Radio Merseyside at 6.30pm 17 July 2007:

"Reports in a number of news outlets today have stated that Tesco will fund £50m towards the cost of a new stadium for Everton FC. Tesco wish to point out that the intention would be for the proposed stadium funding package to be derived from the value generated by the overall retail led development scheme not as a result of direct funding from Tesco."

Tony Fletcher, Tesco.

Sorry to piss on your chips but Leahy hasn't said a dickie bird about us not getting £55m. One of our directors after the AGM told the Liverpool Echo this though - "We are getting a non reimbursable cheque for £55m from Tesco and it is absolute manna from heaven." No one from Tesco has since rebutted that claim. By the way it was reported in one of the Sunday papers a few weeks back that we are negotiating a minimum £40m for stadium naming rights which may cover the last two years of us at Goodison as well as the first few years at the new ground.

Now i've explained where £120m can easily come from (£10m from the NWDA should be possible too) so you explain how your £250m+ can be raised for a better than cheap and nasty stadium elsewhere.

Good post, I remember it was Robert Earl who said that about the £55m cheque.

yes he has, check it out on t'internet.

yes he has, check it out on t'internet.

I think you might be getting mixed up with something last summer when a Tesco spokesman (not Leahy) denied Wyness's claims of £50m but that was last summer before the ballot. A lot has happened since then and I don't think anyone has denied Earl's clear public claims of the £55m cheque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back