Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's Koeman doing what he's done since he arrived: firing a warning shot across the bow.

The spending has ceased. He's using the media to hand out another reminder to Moshiri that he needs to up his game.

Danger for "The Ronk" is that can get pretty irritating for an owner...especially if the onfield situation is poor.

Expect fireworks round early winter if the wheels have fallen off.

I don´t usually agree with you but I do with this. I´ve been nothing short of shocked at how poor we´ve been since Rom left, and how unimpressive our attacking signings. Our attack was infinitely stronger a year ago and it barely cut the mustard then. I can see a car crash of a season unless we move heaven and earth to get a class centre forward in. And just like you, I can see Koeman leaving by mutual consent half way through it.

Ron is just managing expectations.

The Press is talking of Everton in the same breath as Man Utd, who've just paid £90million for one striker; and Man City, who've just spent £130million on a couple of full-backs.

It will be a miracle if we overachieve to the degree that we did last season.

You have to pick one or the other to be fair.

For me, it's net, because that takes into account the fact you're weakening your side. Gross spend doesn't account for Lukaku and Barkley leaving.

I didn't expect £100m net this summer, but I expected £50m+.

I dont know about that. Lukaku: it looks like he asked him last summer to give him a season and only after that exercise his right to 'further his career'; and Barkley has been chased out buy him. For me that means we have to see that as him making his own team building decisions and that if he gets all the cash off those players he has to be judged on how it's spent.

I think it's Koeman doing what he's done since he arrived: firing a warning shot across the bow.

The spending has ceased. He's using the media to hand out another reminder to Moshiri that he needs to up his game.

Danger for "The Ronk" is that can get pretty irritating for an owner...especially if the onfield situation is poor.

Expect fireworks round early winter if the wheels have fallen off.

I don't have a problem with it to be honest, we are used to a love in wth previous managers and the regime! It's multi faceted now with a different regime and owners and Walsh, so he's right. It's self serving in a way because we know he will be off in two years, he can't afford to fail. Isn't it interesting as well that you never hear Bill gushing about Koeman the way he did with Moyes and Boberto.

I do think it's worrying if you look at it through the lense of managing expectations a week before the season starts, it doesn't sound encouraging if that coming from the manager five weeks into training with the team.

Last edited:
Smoke and mirrors mate, the whole thing.

He got some pretty outspoken people on board early on, fed them utter bullcrap and they and we lapped it up.

Some of them are still peddling the lies on social media, thankfully due to the work from @orly we have maintained a healthy border on GOT.
Golden rule when following Everton don't listen to a word that said only judge on actions. Pretty clear what was going on last summer when we didn't sign anyone until we sold Stones.

Ron is just managing expectations.

The Press is talking of Everton in the same breath as Man Utd, who've just paid £90million for one striker; and Man City, who've just spent £130million on a couple of full-backs.
Managing expectations on the basis of seeing how clueless he is buying players and coherently building a team.

He's seen his arse in the last week or so. Doesn't fancy taking responsibility for his own actions.

You guys are like Sentinelese Islanders who see a helicopter in the sky and argue whether or not it means that there will be rain, with both sides being equally sure that they are correct! The fact is that you just don't have enough information to really say. Is Koeman angry at the board? Or is he just pointing out that we can still spend money?

My personal opinion is that we have lots of money, but it is difficult to spend it. This is because, with our current roster, players 30m and under do not improve us, while the 50m player who for sure makes us better probably won't want to come. So we have a very small pool to pick from. But I'm not sure of this, because how could I be?

The only thing I can be sure of is that eventually, as time passes, the most strident among you will look back at how things turned out, and -- no matter what it is that actually happened -- you will think that you have been proved correct.

You have to pick one or the other to be fair.

For me, it's net, because that takes into account the fact you're weakening your side. Gross spend doesn't account for Lukaku and Barkley leaving.

I didn't expect £100m net this summer, but I expected £50m+.
Which will be going on one player in Sigurdsson, with potentially another 3 to come.

As I said, window is still open for another few weeks yet. I feel like a lot of the bedwetting in here tonight is a tad premature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back