Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's Koeman doing what he's done since he arrived: firing a warning shot across the bow.

The spending has ceased. He's using the media to hand out another reminder to Moshiri that he needs to up his game.

Danger for "The Ronk" is that can get pretty irritating for an owner...especially if the onfield situation is poor.

Expect fireworks round early winter if the wheels have fallen off.

The only thing falling off here is the mask.

Absolutely fuming that his dodgy maths and cheerleading for Moshiri have been called out lol

I do like this word 'amortisation' after looking at what it meant though, I still haven't got a clue how it relates to the esk's £35m increase claim.

Definition of amortisation

The practice of reducing the value of assets to reflect their reduced worth over time. The term means the same as depreciation, though in practice amortisation tends to be used for the write-off of intangible assets, such as goodwill, while either term is used for the write-off of fixed capital.

Amortising an asset effectively transfers its value, or the part that is being written off, from the balance sheet to the profit and loss account, where it reduces taxable income. Depending on the relevant accounting standards, an intangible asset can be written off over time or all at once. Amortisation can also refer to the reduction of debt, either through periodic payments of principal and interest, or through use of a sinking fund.

Last edited:
I do like this word 'amortisation' after looking at what it meant, FFS, I still haven't got a clue.

Definition of amortisation

The practice of reducing the value of assets to reflect their reduced worth over time. The term means the same as depreciation, though in practice amortisation tends to be used for the write-off of intangible assets, such as goodwill, while either term is used for the write-off of fixed capital.

Amortising an asset effectively transfers its value, or the part that is being written off, from the balance sheet to the profit and loss account, where it reduces taxable income. Depending on the relevant accounting standards, an intangible asset can be written off over time or all at once. Amortisation can also refer to the reduction of debt, either through periodic payments of principal and interest, or through use of a sinking fund.

But that's the whole point mate - net spend is an accurate, simplified and perfunctory way of comparing the transfer business of clubs in the premier league and abroad. Put it in even more simple terms - the club's that spend the most money in Europe (gasp) tend to be the most successful (gasp). Don't look at it short term, look at it over the last decade; Chelsea, City, Real Madrid, Man United, PSG, etc etc. League wins, cups, European cups, you'll get the odd exception like Leicester but in general, the rule works.

People can throw a load of esoteric spaff onto the fire but if you boil it down to the very happy equation 'Spend lots of money buying better players without selling loads of players = Wins lots of stuff' Koeman's comment makes absolutely loads of sense.

But then you wouldn't tune in.

Koeman is crafty, he publicly called out the board early Summer and told them when he wanted in a load of players and it happened. He senses them slacking again and he's publicly called them out again, I'd expect Sigurdsson to be done sooner rather than later on the back of this latest rant and other targets to move forward. He doesn't mince his words and for that I'm grateful, we all should be.

Don't understand why people are so happy to say 'oh he's just putting pressure on the board, it worked last time'.

He's passing the buck basically, taking the Benitez stance of forgetting that £100m of signings is still £100m of signings regardless of the amount recouped elsewhere, and effectively saying we shouldn't expect results unless the board give him a load more money and he has the exact squad he would like. He did the same after we got knocked out of the cup with an absolutely pathetic display at home - deflected the blame away from himself by blaming a lack of signings.

I'm disappointed by our lack of recent business myself, but the manager should not be praised for this attempt to absolve himself of blame. He needs to take full responsibility for our performances this season, and I'm a little concerned that he's getting his eschewedexcuses in early.

We've sold the best striker in the prem for 90 million and haven't replaced him. I'd be full of such valid 'excuses' if I was manager. Koeman did it it in a more subtle way imo. He gets a pass for me if we start this season without a replacement for Lukaku. And I'm not even the biggest Koeman fan.

But that's the whole point mate - net spend is an accurate, simplified and perfunctory way of comparing the transfer business of clubs in the premier league and abroad. Put it in even more simple terms - the club's that spend the most money in Europe (gasp) tend to be the most successful (gasp). Don't look at it short term, look at it over the last decade; Chelsea, City, Real Madrid, Man United, PSG, etc etc. League wins, cups, European cups, you'll get the odd exception like Leicester but in general, the rule works.

People can throw a load of esoteric spaff onto the fire but if you boil it down to the very happy equation 'Spend lots of money buying better players without selling loads of players = Wins lots of stuff' Koeman's comment makes absolutely loads of sense.

But then you wouldn't tune in.

That's the thing for me, you need a degree from NASA to understand most of the stuff spouted.

Good work by the Koemeister again I think!

If they are fannying around in getting deals done then call them out, though I do not think that is what he is actually doing, just making people aware we have sold practically as much as spent in transfer fees (9not taking wages into account).

That's the thing for me, you need a degree from NASA to understand most of the stuff spouted.

But you don't mate. You could learn it yourself without all the acronyms and mysticism. It's the old adage that if something can't be explained down by an expert to a layman into simple terms, there's a high chance that neither party understands it.

We've sold the best striker in the prem for 90 million and haven't replaced him. I'd be full of such valid 'excuses' if I was manager. Koeman did it it in a more subtle way imo. He gets a pass for me if we start this season without a replacement for Lukaku. And I'm not even the biggest Koeman fan.
But he's basically just saying 'but ok, thish ish a knife to a gunfight I think, but ok thatsh football' and people are talking about him socking it to the man.

He's playing down expectations and putting the blame on the board, when it's his job to come up with a way to get us where we want to be regardless of how much we got for Lukaku. I agree that we need to replace Lukaku, and I've said for a long time that this window hasn't been quite the success story that some were painting it as, but I just can't see why people are lapping up the manager basically saying plucky little Everton will do well to finish 7th again.

But he's basically just saying 'but ok, thish ish a knife to a gunfight I think, but ok thatsh football' and people are talking about him socking it to the man.

He's playing down expectations and putting the blame on the board, when it's his job to come up with a way to get us where we want to be regardless of how much we got for Lukaku. I agree that we need to replace Lukaku, and I've said for a long time that this window hasn't been quite the success story that some were painting it as, but I just can't see why people are lapping up the manager basically saying plucky little Everton will do well to finish 7th again.

Surely he's putting pressure on the board to get the signings he wants, as at the moment we are just selling to buy (as it stands). Im certain thats not what he would have been promised when he joined us. Made up hes called the board out, see if they show some real ambition.

Calling out the board now and then can be a good thing, as it keeps them on their toes and it also sounds like it's valid on this occasion, but I think Koeman needs to be careful not to overdo it. I can't imagine it makes for a good working relationship between the two parties

I also take @Lanolin 's point that Koeman needs to be finding ways to make this squad work, rather than just stamping his feet. We have some decent players on the books right now and it's his job to gel them into a decent team. He's not going to get a Chelsea/City budget here, so he's going to need to use his smarts to put something together

Calling out the board now and then can be a good thing, as it keeps them on their toes and it also sounds like it's valid on this occasion, but I think Koeman needs to be careful not to overdo it. I can't imagine it makes for a good working relationship between the two parties

I also take @Lanolin 's point that Koeman needs to be finding ways to make this squad work, rather than just stamping his feet. We have some decent players on the books right now and it's his job to gel them into a decent team. He's not going to get a Chelsea/City budget here, so he's going to need to use his smarts to put something together
But that has become clear over time - when he first turned up, then Walsh, there was talk of £100m net spends and £60m+ bids for Serie A defenders. Depends what dream he's been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back