Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely he's putting pressure on the board to get the signings he wants, as at the moment we are just selling to buy (as it stands). Im certain thats not what he would have been promised when he joined us. Made up hes called the board out, see if they show some real ambition.
Is that how you saw it when Moyes said these things? Or is it just because Ronald is a 'winner' that these sort of statements become positive rather than negative?

Do you think it's a good negotiating tool for the board in their transfer dealings if their manager is publically putting pressure on them? If you were negotiating on behalf of Swansea today would you not just say 'price has gone up mate, your manager's desperate'? If you were a player's agent, would you not be rubbing your hands with glee thinking you've just secured your man an extra £20k a week because the club's in a weak negotiating position?

But that has become clear over time - when he first turned up, then Walsh, there was talk of £100m net spends and £60m+ bids for Serie A defenders. Depends what dream he's been sold.

Sounds like Kenrights latest Drury Lane production funded by the Lukaku sale

I do like this word 'amortisation' after looking at what it meant though, I still haven't got a clue how it relates to the esk's £35m increase claim.

Definition of amortisation

The practice of reducing the value of assets to reflect their reduced worth over time. The term means the same as depreciation, though in practice amortisation tends to be used for the write-off of intangible assets, such as goodwill, while either term is used for the write-off of fixed capital.

Amortising an asset effectively transfers its value, or the part that is being written off, from the balance sheet to the profit and loss account, where it reduces taxable income. Depending on the relevant accounting standards, an intangible asset can be written off over time or all at once. Amortisation can also refer to the reduction of debt, either through periodic payments of principal and interest, or through use of a sinking fund.

Amortisation is the writing down of the value of an intangible asset. It's basically similar to depreciation which is used for tangible fixed assets. For FFP you account for players as intangibles and amortised their value over length of their contract.

Eg. 5m pound player signed on 5 years deal. After 2 years his Amortisation is 2m. His book value remaining is 3m.

Esk is obsessed tho with Amortisation and whilst it's good for nerdy accountants like myself to obsess over (and I don't doubt we have way higher net book values now), it's irrelevant in building a winning football team, and our net spend should definitely not be calculated using it. Our net spend is simply purchase fees less sales fees. Using any other way is high brow, agenda driven, and not giving a true reflection of playing staff investment.

Last edited:
That is absolutely unreal. So the manager of Everton has his figures incorrect but some fella who is an expert in being wrong has them spot on.

Sensational.

It's naive to suggest Koeman has any knowledge of balance sheets, net spend and our increased wage bill. He's a coach and manager of players not finances.

He's having a little net spend moan - just like our clueless fan base.

But you don't mate. You could learn it yourself without all the acronyms and mysticism. It's the old adage that if something can't be explained down by an expert to a layman into simple terms, there's a high chance that neither party understands it.

Just been talking to my missus about this and she was saying she gets it all the time in her job (she's an assistant director in local government) in her case when someone starts coming out with all the esoteric stuff she said it normally means they're trying to hide something from her, and not making a very good job of it either.

Last edited:

Surely he's putting pressure on the board to get the signings he wants, as at the moment we are just selling to buy (as it stands). Im certain thats not what he would have been promised when he joined us. Made up hes called the board out, see if they show some real ambition.

Not wishing to single you out mate, but what I find staggering is that this ^ and many many more posts in this thread simply assume that this is Koeman 'calling Moshiri out'.

Do you really think that there is no communication at all between Koeman and his management / owner? Do you really think he is conducting his dialogue with them exclusively through the media?

Go back to the OP and read it again. He's commenting in response to the media hype that we are big spenders and saying 'it's not what you think, and we will be spending more anyway on 3 new players'.

My read on this is that he's had the conversation with the management - in fact no doubt several - and as a result he's speaking from a position of confidence that he will be able to go out and get the new players. Net spend is irrelevant to him. The biggest question is whether the ones he wants are available, and whether they are the type to become more available as the window closes - and at what point does he have to go for his plan B names.

That's the thing for me, you need a degree from NASA to understand most of the stuff spouted.

I didn't know NASA were giving out degrees.....especially accounting degrees!;) Koemans success or failure is entirely based on results in the competitions that matter...the Prem and the FA, League and Europa competitions. All the talk of 'the project' etc. is simply a statement of ambition ,and basically fine PR words for the media and subsequently the supporters who read/watch/listen to various media outlets. Koeman therefore will push the board for players because quite simply the better the players, the more chance of him seeing his contract out and not being sacked. Koeman is the one with most to lose at Everton...not in financial terms, but in terms of reputation and his credentials for his NEXT job.
It will be an interesting season,with the usual highs and lows for Evertonians,and we need at least one of the RS, United or Arsenal to under achieve and a Bournemouth type team not to over achieve if we are to get into the top four/six.

Amortisation is the writing down of the value of an intangible asset. It's basically similar to depreciation which is used for tangible fixed assets. For FFP you account for players as intangibles and amortised their value over length of their contract.

Eg. 5m pound player signed on 5 years deal. After 2 years his Amortisation is 2m. His book value remaining is 3m.

Esk is obsessed tho with Amortisation and whilst it's good for nerdy accountants like myself to obsess over (and I don't doubt we have way higher net book values now), it's irrelevant in building a winning football team, and our network spend should definitely not be calculated using it. Our net spend is simply purchase fees less sales fees. Using any other way is high brow, agenda driven, and not giving a true reflection of playing staff investment.

See, I can understand that.

It's naive to suggest Koeman has any knowledge of balance sheets, net spend and our increased wage bill. He's a coach and manager of players not finances.

He's having a little net spend moan - just like our clueless fan base.

BREAKING NEWS: Everton manager knows less about Everton than chronically wrong Twitter personality because 'jimmythenut' on GrandOldTeam says so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back