Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amortisation is the writing down of the value of an intangible asset. It's basically similar to depreciation which is used for tangible fixed assets. For FFP you account for players as intangibles and amortised their value over length of their contract.

Eg. 5m pound player signed on 5 years deal. After 2 years his Amortisation is 2m. His book value remaining is 3m.

Esk is obsessed tho with Amortisation and whilst it's good for nerdy accountants like myself to obsess over (and I don't doubt we have way higher net book values now), it's irrelevant in building a winning football team, and our net spend should definitely not be calculated using it. Our net spend is simply purchase fees less sales fees. Using any other way is high brow, agenda driven, and not giving a true reflection of playing staff investment.

Yep this is spot on.

I didn't know NASA were giving out degrees.....especially accounting degrees!;) Koemans success or failure is entirely based on results in the competitions that matter...the Prem and the FA, League and Europa competitions. All the talk of 'the project' etc. is simply a statement of ambition ,and basically fine PR words for the media and subsequently the supporters who read/watch/listen to various media outlets. Koeman therefore will push the board for players because quite simply the better the players, the more chance of him seeing his contract out and not being sacked. Koeman is the one with most to lose at Everton...not in financial terms, but in terms of reputation and his credentials for his NEXT job.
It will be an interesting season,with the usual highs and lows for Evertonians,and we need at least one of the RS, United or Arsenal to under achieve and a Bournemouth type team not to over achieve if we are to get into the top four/six.

That's why with my suspicious ways I was wondering if he was covering his back a tad with what he said.

BREAKING NEWS: Everton manager knows less about Everton than chronically wrong Twitter personality because 'jimmythenut' on GrandOldTeam says so.

Sounds legit. Just look at Ronald's round face, he doesn't know anything about Everton's finances.

If you asked him to go on companies house and tell us a little about our accounts he wouldn't have a clue what you was talking about.

That's why with my suspicious ways I was wondering if he was covering his back a tad with what he said.

Of course he is....like most managers, he is well aware that 2 or 3 years in a job is the expectation with a few exceptions. He will therefore have his 'escape route' in his mind at all times,and I for one don't blame him!! Top managers are mostly loaded .....they get loads of money each time they are sacked and theres no way it isn't just about the money for them. Its either the money or a glorified hobby for most of them. Example...Mark Hughes must have made money as a player...my wife worked for a time at an estate agent who dealt with Hughes and his wifes substantial and increasing property portfolio...getting to Robbie Fowler levels....so it can't be said that he's managing Stoke City because he needs the money can it ? Similarly,I'm sure Koeman would like to succeed at Everton and go on to Barcelona or wherever, but financially and in terms of quality of life it won't effect him one jot. Its supporters who get wound up at the success or failure of their team...not management or business like board members(unless they're Bill Kenwright!!);)

What if the players Koeman wants aren't for sale or don't want to come here? Who get's the blame?

Buying footballers isn't like going shopping with a no limit credit card.

Of course he is....like most managers, he is well aware that 2 or 3 years in a job is the expectation with a few exceptions. He will therefore have his 'escape route' in his mind at all times,and I for one don't blame him!! Top managers are mostly loaded .....they get loads of money each time they are sacked and theres no way it isn't just about the money for them. Its either the money or a glorified hobby for most of them. Example...Mark Hughes must have made money as a player...my wife worked for a time at an estate agent who dealt with Hughes and his wifes substantial and increasing property portfolio...getting to Robbie Fowler levels....so it can't be said that he's managing Stoke City because he needs the money can it ? Similarly,I'm sure Koeman would like to succeed at Everton and go on to Barcelona or wherever, but financially and in terms of quality of life it won't effect him one jot. Its supporters who get wound up at the success or failure of their team...not management or business like board members(unless they're Bill Kenwright!!);)

It's a shame Kenwrong didn't care more otherwise we might have won a pot or two during his shambolic tenure.

So is amortization essentially something that says we lose money every season due to players value declining?

I'm probably thick as anything but how does this work when players prices are horrifically inflating every single year?

So is amortization essentially something that says we lose money every season due to players value declining?

I'm probably thick as anything but how does this work when players prices are horrifically inflating every single year?
I think it's the value of the players declining on the books each year.
Not sure if wages are taken into account but Lukaku's worth when we sold him would have been 2/5 of the fee we paid due to only having 2 years left.

Barkley's worth on the books will be zero.

What if the players Koeman wants aren't for sale or don't want to come here? Who get's the blame?

Buying footballers isn't like going shopping with a no limit credit card.

he mucthave a list with choices on, no way Valencia, Sissoko where first choice.
He needs a forward whether its first choice or not, we've needed one for about 3 years.
I just don't want the last day of the window and your bringing in the real dross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back