Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
New user so I will give my take.

The blame game has begun. There's no doubt we are poorer now than when we ended last season and bringing Sigurdsson in isn't going to change that. The loss of Lukaku is huge. When Liverpool lost their star striker they went from almost winning the league to 7th. Frankly if we finish in the top half we will be doing well and I think next season rests on having an easy run in the Europa league and fluking champions league that way.

Now that doesn't absolve Moshiri or Koeman. While it's true it's increasingly looking likely Koeman has been sold a lie like the rest of us. It's also true the money hasn't been spent well or at least in the right positions.

We have no half decent fullbacks and our CB pairing is dreadfully slow which is the reason our defense has been so deep all the pre-season games. This along with the fact we have no pace to hit teams on the break means the opposition can just camp in our half applying a high press whenever they lose the ball. Against teams like Spurs and Liverpool we could get absolutely hammered. Giroud isn't going to fix that because even if he can hold it up we don't have the players that can get up to support him.

Bringing back Rooney wasn't a good call. Martina isn't good enough. We didn't need Schneiderlin because we already had Besic, Gueye, Davies etc Klassen is incredibly slow and will only work with fast play makers around him - he's the guy who finishes off chances coming from deep not a play maker, in this current team he does and will look awful but I think it's just that he doesn't suit us. With Lukaku, Barkley and Deulofeu he would have worked well. Sigurdsson is a very good player but lacks pace and again won't fit. Bolasie was a waste. Pickford looks great but we are going to lose Robles for nothing because we bought him. Is he really 30m better than Robles?

These are the "Koeman" signings I just don't see the logic in them.

However I think Walsh has done an ok job with the cheaper signings like Lookman and Gueye etc. Not sure about a few like DCL but at those prices we will always have more misses than hits.

If Moshiri is serious in investing in the team and that's a big if there's a good chance the reason why there's a holdup is because he doesn't want to spend close to 80m on two players either over 30 or close to it when so far the signs are far from good. Koeman on the other hand is basically saying he hasn't his team yet and those two signings will turn it around and make the entire thing click. Would you gamble 80m on that?

However there's also a very strong possibility Moshiri is a bit of a fraud too.

Right now we just don't know but the ball is firmly in Moshiri's court.

Again. How can he buy players who aren't for sale, for whatever reason?

Name the CF's who are better than who we've got and are for sale.

He has said that he wants to bring more players in. Is he lying? If not, and he knows who he wants, why doesn't
he buy them?
Iheanacho would walk into our team. We could have easily got him.

Amortisation is the writing down of the value of an intangible asset. It's basically similar to depreciation which is used for tangible fixed assets. For FFP you account for players as intangibles and amortised their value over length of their contract.

Eg. 5m pound player signed on 5 years deal. After 2 years his Amortisation is 2m. His book value remaining is 3m.

Esk is obsessed tho with Amortisation and whilst it's good for nerdy accountants like myself to obsess over (and I don't doubt we have way higher net book values now), it's irrelevant in building a winning football team, and our net spend should definitely not be calculated using it. Our net spend is simply purchase fees less sales fees. Using any other way is high brow, agenda driven, and not giving a true reflection of playing staff investment.

This is the reason why we win nothing. When it comes to the big games our players are way too intangible

need to buy less intangible players if you ask me

Last edited:
But he's basically just saying 'but ok, thish ish a knife to a gunfight I think, but ok thatsh football' and people are talking about him socking it to the man.

He's playing down expectations and putting the blame on the board, when it's his job to come up with a way to get us where we want to be regardless of how much we got for Lukaku. I agree that we need to replace Lukaku, and I've said for a long time that this window hasn't been quite the success story that some were painting it as, but I just can't see why people are lapping up the manager basically saying plucky little Everton will do well to finish 7th again.
It's classic Moyes!

We are billionaires apparently we can buy anyone and everyone

We don't need to sell anyone to pay for it and EVERYTHING has changed

... How wrong you were

But you don't mate. You could learn it yourself without all the acronyms and mysticism. It's the old adage that if something can't be explained down by an expert to a layman into simple terms, there's a high chance that neither party understands it.
Empathise :/

Koeman to be fair is basically saying if your ambitious and have a project like you say you do then give me money to spend

Unfortunately he's not being backed by the board and owner in anyway at all as it seems once again as I've said all along we only have money from player sales

As much as it annoyed me he signed Rooney and martina he was probably forced too due to lack of cash

Is that how you saw it when Moyes said these things? Or is it just because Ronald is a 'winner' that these sort of statements become positive rather than negative?

Do you think it's a good negotiating tool for the board in their transfer dealings if their manager is publically putting pressure on them? If you were negotiating on behalf of Swansea today would you not just say 'price has gone up mate, your manager's desperate'? If you were a player's agent, would you not be rubbing your hands with glee thinking you've just secured your man an extra £20k a week because the club's in a weak negotiating position?

Who mentioned moyes or koeman being a winner? Fact is we have spent only what we have recouped and hes frustrated. Swansea wont put the price up as they are already pushing it and clearly need to sell before they çan buy. As for wages, id imagine we agreed that a long time ago with the player. How is he being desperate? Hes just stating a fact and wants the board to get a move on in concluding the deal.

Koeman to be fair is basically saying if your ambitious and have a project like you say you do then give me money to spend

Unfortunately he's not being backed by the board and owner in anyway at all as it seems once again as I've said all along we only have money from player sales

As much as it annoyed me he signed Rooney and martina he was probably forced too due to lack of cash
He hasn't been backed yet in terms of net spend but he has had a lot of money to spend.

Close to around 150m at this point and he's now insisting we spend another 80m on a 28 year old and a 31 year old when we don't have any pace and our fullbacks are a joke.

He has been given the money from sales and has made us a lot worse. At the very least we should be close to as good as we where.

Do yo really think that there is no communication at all between Koeman and his management / owner? Do you really think he is conducting his dialogue with them exclusively through the media?

Go back to the OP and read it again. He's commenting in response to the media hype that we are big spenders and saying 'it's not what you think, and we will be spending more anyway on 3 new players'.

He did exactly the same in january with schneiderlin when everton were dragging their feet. Hes not calling him out, more like giving them a hurry up. This sigurdsson deal is taking a long time and a team with the ambitions we say we have dont haggle over £2m quid. I just read comments from a frustrated man whos not getting the answers he wants.

So keep Robles and Davies in the starting eleven and use the Klassen and Pickford money. It really is one of those ones that it's hard to know who is most to blame.

Who mentioned moyes or koeman being a winner? Fact is we have spent only what we have recouped and hes frustrated. Swansea wont put the price up as they are already pushing it and clearly need to sell before they çan buy. As for wages, id imagine we agreed that a long time ago with the player. How is he being desperate? Hes just stating a fact and wants the board to get a move on in concluding the deal.
I did. I was asking you a question, remember?

I don't believe he's putting pressure on the board, I think he's playing down expectations. You think he's putting pressure on the board though, you said so yourself. So I'll ask again, if you're right and the board is now under pressure to deliver, do you think that helps them to negotiate? Your point is that he wants them to 'get a move on' but he's just made that public. If you were Swansea or A player (note, that's what I said in my post, not Sigurdsson in particular) would you not be tempted to attempt to capitalise on the pressure the board are apparently under to please their manager? If not, you're probably not cut out for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back