Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 1 of 2 things is happening with the whole Moshiri ownership thing:

1) Moshiri isn't a sugar daddy, but is more of a facilitator/guarantor. He isn't an owner to just pile money into the club Willy nilly. He's the sort to maybe boost us with a little more every window, or pay up front to cover us while waiting for tv money/player sales cash. E.g. He gave us the cash up front to buy Pickford/Keene/klaason/Sandro before the Lukaku money came in. In years gone by we all know we wouldn't have spent a penny until he was sold. This is advantagous as all the players above would've cost a lot more if we had already sold Lukaku (see gylfi).

2) the club are willing to spend money but still only under the old business model. I.e. They will splash out for a player but only if there is a resale value or a gaping hole in the team. I think this is partly what's holding up the gylfi transfer. He may give us a slightly different option but we already have lots of quality players in his position. Klaason Rooney Barkley and Sandro can all play there. He may become the best of the lot but while we have players who play in his position he's not exactly the target man or LB cover we are after.

2.5) it may also be that Bill is still at the helm regarding transfer negotiations and simply doesn't think gylfi is worth 50mil which, to be fair to Bill (for once), he probably isn't. I think if it had been 35-40mil we'd have seen this done weeks ago. He's in the same bracket as Keane Pickford etc (I.e. a bottom half player who's very important to his own team, but not good enough to attract the really top clubs). Swansea and Everton have both played this one very badly in my opinion. Swansea will definitely now be short when they start the new season and will struggle to get players in before the window closes. They may end up getting relegated because of it. Plus when they do sell gylfi they'll have to pay more for any player they want. Everyone will know they'll have 50mil burning a hole in their pocket. Everton look like they will also be short when the season starts and will have a half fit gylfi for a few weeks. They Gould have compromised for 40-45mil weeks ago. Bad business all round.

What's interesting is the Koeman Walsh Moshiri Kenwright contract Dave relationship. Who decides on targets? Who places bids? Who negotiates? Which players are Koeman targets and which players are Walsh targets? Will this affect their playing time/role in the team? When Koeman criticizes the sepending (only 7mil) who is he aiming this at? The board? Walsh? Kenwright? Moshiri? We'll probably only find this stuff out when 1 or all of them have left the club. I would love to see what's going on behind the scenes though. It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle hidden inside an inigma!

In short: up the blues! Let's get a few more players in.

Of course it still mattered. When a player is in his last year you only get one window before they can start signing pre-contracts with other teams.

Basically either make a deal now or lose him for nothing. Which is why Barkley who clearly also wants to go will probably go for 20m-30m instead of 50m-70m.

I hope you are right but Swansea hold all the cards.

Nobody would pay 70m for Barkley lol

1) Moshiri isn't a sugar daddy, but is more of a facilitator/guarantor. He isn't an owner to just pile money into the club Willy nilly. He's the sort to maybe boost us with a little more every window, or pay up front to cover us while waiting for tv money/player sales cash. E.g. He gave us the cash up front to buy Pickford/Keene/klaason/Sandro before the Lukaku money came in. In years gone by we all know we wouldn't have spent a penny until he was sold. This is advantagous as all the players above would've cost a lot more if we had already sold Lukaku (see gylfi).

2) the club are willing to spend money but still only under the old business model. I.e. They will splash out for a player but only if there is a resale value or a gaping hole in the team. I think this is partly what's holding up the gylfi transfer. He may give us a slightly different option but we already have lots of quality players in his position. Klaason Rooney Barkley and Sandro can all play there. He may become the best of the lot but while we have players who play in his position he's not exactly the target man or LB cover we are after.

2.5) it may also be that Bill is still at the helm regarding transfer negotiations and simply doesn't think gylfi is worth 50mil which, to be fair to Bill (for once), he probably isn't. I think if it had been 35-40mil we'd have seen this done weeks ago. He's in the same bracket as Keane Pickford etc (I.e. a bottom half player who's very important to his own team, but not good enough to attract the really top clubs). Swansea and Everton have both played this one very badly in my opinion. Swansea will definitely now be short when they start the new season and will struggle to get players in before the window closes. They may end up getting relegated because of it. Plus when they do sell gylfi they'll have to pay more for any player they want. Everyone will know they'll have 50mil burning a hole in their pocket. Everton look like they will also be short when the season starts and will have a half fit gylfi for a few weeks. They Gould have compromised for 40-45mil weeks ago. Bad business all round.

What's interesting is the Koeman Walsh Moshiri Kenwright contract Dave relationship. Who decides on targets? Who places bids? Who negotiates? Which players are Koeman targets and which players are Walsh targets? Will this affect their playing time/role in the team? When Koeman criticizes the sepending (only 7mil) who is he aiming this at? The board? Walsh? Kenwright? Moshiri? We'll probably only find this stuff out when 1 or all of them have left the club. I would love to see what's going on behind the scenes though. It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle hidden inside an inigma!

Walsh and Koeman have to come to an agreement on any player they sign I believe.

Bill definitely still involved in negotiations, whilst contract Dave sorts contracts and represents the club

Ie. Belfodil, one of them wasn't game for it and thus it didn't come off?

Nobody would pay 70m for Barkley lol
Probably not but it would cost us 70m to replace him if Sigurdsson is worth 50m.

I doubt a top 6 team would even pay us 50m.

There's a difference between what a club would pay us for him and what we would have to pay though.

Walsh and Koeman have to come to an agreement on any player they sign I believe.

Bill definitely still involved in negotiations, whilst contract Dave sorts contracts and represents the club

Ie. Belfodil, one of them wasn't game for it and thus it didn't come off?
Is it an agreement though? Gylfi is all about Koeman. Koeman loves him.

So is an agreement or is it Koeman putting his foot down and Walsh saying "oh, ok then"? This is where things get complicated. There is only a certain amount in the budget. Will it affect a Walsh target? Will Walsh say to Bill to get the best deal possible so there's money left over for one of his players.

Then When team selection issues arise who is Koeman going to put in his team? The player he's always wanted (gylfi) or the rough diamond Walsh has scouted and brought in? This is where problems arise. It's all very well saying that they come to a joint decision but who has the final final say and who advises Bill as to how much we really want a player.

In my opinion the final say/lines of communication from manager to board have to be so clear, ideally written into contracts. If Koeman gets a whif that transfers are being deliberately slowed down to the point where they fail so alternative better-value players are brought (Walsh targets) he won't be happy.

The recent "7mil" jibe was his second go at the board this year. The director of football role can be successful but it can also create disharmony. I can't imagine that Koeman is the type of guy to bow to Walsh' superior knowledge. I can imagine Koeman being promised the world by Moshiri last summer and then bill trying to tempor expectations on budgets/wages offered to players.

Be interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks...

Probably not but it would cost us 70m to replace him if Sigurdsson is worth 50m.

I doubt a top 6 team would even pay us 50m.

There's a difference between what a club would pay us for him and what we would have to pay though.

That makes no sense... it won't cost us 70m to replace ross.... we will replace him and it won't be 70m

Contract Dave is the key to all of this. He's the man in the shadows we've been looking for. He's pulling all the strings - Moshiri, Walsh and Kenwright are now under his influence, and with his prodigious strategic mind, I for one am glad he's the boss.

Is it an agreement though? Gylfi is all about Koeman. Koeman loves him.

So is an agreement or is it Koeman putting his foot down and Walsh saying "oh, ok then"? This is where things get complicated. There is only a certain amount in the budget. Will it affect a Walsh target? Will Walsh say to Bill to get the best deal possible so there's money left over for one of his players.

Then When team selection issues arise who is Koeman going to put in his team? The player he's always wanted (gylfi) or the rough diamond Walsh has scouted and brought in? This is where problems arise. It's all very well saying that they come to a joint decision but who has the final final say and who advises Bill as to how much we really want a player.

In my opinion the final say/lines of communication from manager to board have to be so clear, ideally written into contracts. If Koeman gets a whif that transfers are being deliberately slowed down to the point where they fail so alternative better-value players are brought (Walsh targets) he won't be happy.

The recent "7mil" jibe was his second go at the board this year. The director of football role can be successful but it can also create disharmony. I can't imagine that Koeman is the type of guy to bow to Walsh' superior knowledge. I can imagine Koeman being promised the world by Moshiri last summer and then bill trying to tempor expectations on budgets/wages offered to players.

Be interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks...
I understand where you are coming from but I'd assume that walsh, being a stats man, is probably on board with the gilfi decision.

Who knows though really

That makes no sense... it won't cost us 70m to replace ross.... we will replace him and it won't be 70m
We will replace him with a player who isn't as good and is 4 years older for 50m.

I would prefer "another Ross" if he was available for an extra 20m. I'm just trying to put a price on what we can expect to pay if we hypothetically chose to replace him for someone who is just as good and the same age.

Coutinho is going to go for over 100m. That's the price of players even though it sounds crazy. 70m is only 35m in 2015 money.

We will replace him with a player who isn't as good and is 4 years older for 50m.

I would prefer "another Ross" if he was available for an extra 20m. I'm just trying to put a price on what we can expect to pay if we hypothetically chose to replace him for someone who is just as good and the same age.

Coutinho is going to go for over 100m. That's the price of players even though it sounds crazy. 70m is only 35m in 2015 money.
@Adversus what a strange punk you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back