Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Koeman: "We've only spent £7m"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although we have spent 100m (well a net spend of 7m) it was always going to take time for our signings to gel. Pickford and Keane have undoubtedly strengthened us, because let's face it we were so poor in these positions last season. Nevertheless both seem to be quality additions.
Replacing lukaku and Barkley the creative and scoring hub of the side from last season, was always going to be more difficult. Sandro, klassen and Rooney although early days, haven't been up to the task. However more worryingly overall has been the lack of balance in the side which has produced some lacklustre performances. Is this down to the calibre of player we have recruited or the system we have deployed? I guess time will tell.

I think the old cliche is you can never enough good players. We've adopted that ideology- but only in regards to central midfield it seems, the area of the pitch which highlights that you're spot on about a lack of balance. We have very solid (if a little unexciting) options in that area, but the rest of the squad has a horrible lack of depth to it. Who should be Keane's partner is currently a toss up between two veterans well past their prime. No Coleman and no Bolasie meaning not much pace and width, unless Lookman gets more game time than anticipated. Where exactly will Rooney play and what is his role?

These issues aren't completely down to Koeman or the club. What they show is that our deficiencies and issues cannot simply be solved by this summer's transfer window. Hopefully another centre half and another striker arrive- both priorities far superior to getting in siggurdson. However if he sandwiches in all those central players then there will be questions to answer tactically. Personally I don't want to see Gana and Schneiderlin against some of the league's garbage, especially at home. It's not necessary.

More like a board deciding £100M hadn't gone very far in rebuilding a team and are underlining he needs to be wiser spending it.

Any club would be well within their rights to block an insanely inflated fee for a player with zero sell on value. Come the end of any contract, the club will be left with a player into his 30s worth about £10M if we're lucky while Koeman is back in Holland or wherever in retirement.
If we are sell to buy it would be absolutely crazy to go for Sigurdsson and Giroud.

Up to now the signings have all been relatively young so we haven't fully committed yet.

No. That's not right.

The gross spend is substantial and Koeman needed to make it matter. It's there because there has, this summer, been a once-in-a-generation selling off of the family silver. He's been the beneficiary of that.

Net spend is still zero and will be poor if there is one. That's down to Moshiri.

Ha ha, great mental contortioning. You can't possibly say whether Koeman has made it matter yet or not, that would be a completely subjective premature view. He feels we need more to challenge and is calling on the board to provide it. You're advocating that despite selling his best player he should have made more of the gross funds? Those things don't go hand in hand.

Ha ha, great mental contortioning. You can't possibly say whether Koeman has made it matter yet or not, that would be a completely subjective premature view. He feels we need more to challenge and is calling on the board to provide it. You're advocating that despite selling his best player he should have made more of the gross funds? Those things don't go hand in hand.

There's no mental gymnastics required to argue that a man in receipt of probably by the end of the window about £140M-£150M has to be judged on the quality he brings in with it AND stating that the owner has provided nothing or almost nothing of that cash.

If that's a massive puzzle for you then have my sympathies.

There's no mental gymnastics required to argue that a man in receipt of probably by the end of the window about £140M-£150M has to be judged on the quality he brings in with it AND stating that the owner has provided nothing or almost nothing of that cash.

If that's a massive puzzle for you then have my sympathies.
Yes it does and you know it. You say "The owner has not spent anything on the club, they cannot have success and he is accountable." Then you say "The manager has spent so much on the club, they MUST have success or he is accountable". Either the team on the field has been spent on and is better, or they have not and are not.

Its absurd, but then again, you know that. Its also why you never respond when your untruths get proven horribly wrong(I.E. red cards in the championship).

I think you are misunderstanding cause and effect.

Lukaku didn't say "it wasn't an option" because he wanted to force a move away.

He said it wasn't an option because he knew he was already going because he had already refused to sign a new contract.

We had already begun spending the money ffs. Bored at work plus you lot do like to argue the most pedantic things. You are almost as bad as me.

"You lot" ?

Seems rather a put down of ones fellow Blues doesn't it ?

We will replace him with a player who isn't as good and is 4 years older for 50m.

I would prefer "another Ross" if he was available for an extra 20m. I'm just trying to put a price on what we can expect to pay if we hypothetically chose to replace him for someone who is just as good and the same age.

Coutinho is going to go for over 100m. That's the price of players even though it sounds crazy. 70m is only 35m in 2015 money.

It won't cost 70m to buy a player if the same level as ross tho... he's not that good... we are going to buy a player with better stats for 50m so why would it cost 70? 4 years older ? Or in their prime ? And countinho is going to cost 100m because Barca are the buying club, he's Brazilian , and they are buying off another "big" club. Just like if lukaku played for Man U and Barca wanted him he would have cost more.

More like a board deciding £100M hadn't gone very far in rebuilding a team and are underlining he needs to be wiser spending it.

Any club would be well within their rights to block an insanely inflated fee for a player with zero sell on value. Come the end of any contract, the club will be left with a player into his 30s worth about £10M if we're lucky while Koeman is back in Holland or wherever in retirement.

Agreed it's a worry. He needs to hit the ground running and send us up the league table to prove value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back