Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Kyle Naughton

Status
Not open for further replies.
F*** that. We could actually get a international quality fullback for that if we shop around. Not just a kid who might turn out to be good, but might not.

£3m is a risk worth taking. £7m is clearly not when you can buy proven quality with that sort of money.

I agree. But that's what hppens with English players who are tipped to be [Poor language removed] hot.

Look at Glen Johnson...if he goes to the RS he'd be the second most expensive right back after Dani Alves.

I'd bite the bullet and even have a go at getting Micha Richards for £7million. He just needs to get back on track.

We've got Hibbert, Jacobsen (maybe), Coleman, Jags (if all else fails), Gosling (apparantly a RB) for right back. Paying £7million for this lad means we'd have 5 right backs with only about 2 of them being any good.

I'd seriously think about off loading Hibbert, get Jacobsen on a free, then see what Coleman can do after paying £1million for him.

Last edited:
That's why I fear to lump out this sum for an unproven player at this lvl. We need to improve our squad and I think most of us will agree that money will be tight this summer as well unless something drastic happens. So the problem is... should we spend £7M for a player from a lower league just because he MIGHT become a very good player, or should we put that amount on a player that has a proven ability to play at this lvl?

Either way it's a risk, since we don't know if the player will fit our squad (Kroldrup anyone?). But what chance to take?:huh:

I can see your concerns but as they say you need to spend money to make money. IMO this bloke would be a great investment and at this young age if we bought him for 7m it wouldn't be too hard to sell him for the same price at the end of next season (assuming no extreme circumstances) if it didn't look like working out.

Just to put things into perspective if they are asking £7m, we've only ever paid bigger transfer fees for Fellaini, Yakubu & Johnson in our entire history.

I agree. But that's what hppens with English players who are tipped to be [Poor language removed] hot.

Look at Glen Johnson...if he goes to the RS he'd be the second most expensive right back after Dani Alves.

I'd bite the bullet and even have a go at getting Micha Richards for £7million. He just needs to get back on track.

We've got Hibbert, Jacobsen (maybe), Coleman, Jags (if all else fails), Gosling (apparantly a RB) for right back. Paying £7million for this lad means we'd have 5 right backs with only about 2 of them being any good.

I'd seriously think about off loading Hibbert, get Jacobsen on a free, then see what Coleman can do after paying £1million for him.

I heard we paid about 150k, rising to 250k for Coleman.

But I agree, why are we buying ANOTHER RB? Jacobsen looks fairly decent and if we can get a Right Midfielder/Winger, who can actually play there, rather than Osman, who isnt a RM and it shows with his postioning, it should be ok.

As I keep saying this lad has all the right tools to play as a RM. I think thats where we would see him play if he came. But we aint gonna pay £7m, I will tell you that now.

Just to put things into perspective if they are asking £7m, we've only ever paid bigger transfer fees for Fellaini, Yakubu & Johnson in our entire history.

That's a good point

mind you the transfer market gets more inflated with each passing season, it gets very difficult to judge stuff like that

I understand what you are saying, but I don't quite see how that is relevant.

Times are a changing in the transfer market, in terms of inflated prices.

It shouldn't hold us back that we have only ever paid over £7M for four players, because that is quite embarrassing to be honest.

Just a million more then we signed Baines for, thing is Hibbert is just a full back, Baines is a fullback and a winger, this lad Naughton has the same ptential ability.

Moyesy like his width form full backs, so in essence he get them to bomb down the wings allowing our wingers to come more central.

But before we brought him, Baines already did well in Premiership. Naughton is far behind him in development and United are expecting to get 7mln for him mostly based on his talent and upside.
I would definitely prefer to spend half of it for a 30 years old proven international like Miguel who can still play well for 2-3 years, than overpaid Naughton.

But before we brought him, Baines already did well in Premiership. Naughton is far behind him in development and United are expecting to get 7mln for him mostly based on his talent and upside.
I would definitely prefer to spend half of it for a 30 years old proven international like Miguel who can still play well for 2-3 years, than overpaid Naughton.

True but then again you have to factor in the JoLo factor sign them young devlop there potential triple your money if needed. Its the only way the club can compete lets be honest.

Why sign a 30 year old international "name" prob on big wages (yes they count as well) with little resale value, when we can make an investment on possibly the most talented young RB outside the Prem give his an appropriate salary for his potential get 5 seasons out of him, triple his value and have the possiblilitu of a massive resale value.

To be honest i think this is our overall buisness model.

Every club manager under the sun watched the FA Cup final and witnessed how weak we are on our right flank with Hibbert and Osman. It does not take a genius to work out what the tactics will need to be to beat us and every club manager whilst not a genius will know our weakness.

To say therefore we have Hibbert and others to do RB and we can manage is IMO a nonsense. Hibbert if played will be a liability even more than he was before the Cup final. The right flank needs strengthening more so than any other position.

True but then again you have to factor in the JoLo factor sign them young devlop there potential triple your money if needed. Its the only way the club can compete lets be honest.

Why sign a 30 year old international "name" prob on big wages (yes they count as well) with little resale value, when we can make an investment on possibly the most talented young RB outside the Prem give his an appropriate salary for his potential get 5 seasons out of him, triple his value and have the possiblilitu of a massive resale value.

To be honest i think this is our overall buisness model.
I agree in general, but you won't have much re-sale value in right back bought for 7 mln. Dani Alves or Glen Johnson deals are exceptions, not a rule.

I agree in general, but you won't have much re-sale value in right back bought for 7 mln. Dani Alves or Glen Johnson deals are exceptions, not a rule.

Yes, but we are more likely to get some money back for a 23 year old, we wouldnt get any for a 33 year old. I think thats the point hes trying to make.

Yes, but we are more likely to get some money back for a 23 year old, we wouldnt get any for a 33 year old. I think thats the point hes trying to make.
Yeah, but with 30 years old international you have a higher chance that he will deliver on the pitch than with 20 years old Championship player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back