Last Film You Watched

The new Indiana Jones movie. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, certainly since COVID came and went. The CGI was poor, the chases looked so speeded up I was expecting Benny Hill music and the storyline utterly ridiculous.
I really enjoyed it..

I watched "1968 Tunnel Rats" which was a pretty average Vietnam war film. I watched it because back in 2006 I read "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" which is an amazing account of the "tunnel war" that occurred during the Vietnam war. The book is great as it portrays both sides, the Viet Cong side where they had this elaborate tunnel system and the American (and other nationalities) "Tunnel Rats" who went into these tunnels. The book's description of life and combat in the tunnels was almost unbelievable.

Anyways, I always thought this book would make a great movie and someone tried, which resulted in this film. It certainly captures some aspects of the Tunnel Rats and the awful combat that went on in these tunnels. If you loooove Vietnam War films, then certainly give it a watch, but otherwise it's just an average film--not awful, not great.

I watched "1968 Tunnel Rats" which was a pretty average Vietnam war film. I watched it because back in 2006 I read "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" which is an amazing account of the "tunnel war" that occurred during the Vietnam war. The book is great as it portrays both sides, the Viet Cong side where they had this elaborate tunnel system and the American (and other nationalities) "Tunnel Rats" who went into these tunnels. The book's description of life and combat in the tunnels was almost unbelievable.

Anyways, I always thought this book would make a great movie and someone tried, which resulted in this film. It certainly captures some aspects of the Tunnel Rats and the awful combat that went on in these tunnels. If you loooove Vietnam War films, then certainly give it a watch, but otherwise it's just an average film--not awful, not great.
struggle to sit down and read these days but Rumor of War was a book that has always stuck with me.

double-header of entertaining 7/10's from yesteryear:

The Seven-Percent Solution (1976): Nicol Williamson - of Merlin fame - engagingly plays a coke-addicted Sherlock Holmes who gets help from his mate Dr Watson (a miscast Robert Duvall) and Sigmund Freud (likeable Alan Arkin performance). The film's a fun caper, but pretty lightweight, save for a dark revelation at the end.

The African Queen (1951): cliché premise is well-played by both leads, who are often voted the greatest Classic-Hollywood Actors: Humphrey Bogart & Katherine Hepburn. One you can watch with the missus, and also one for boat nerds! John Huston behind this one. I think this is a favourite of @degsy

Scream 6

So, I'm glad I didn't spend half a day to get to a cinema for this, because I would've been pissed. This was one of the films where I found myself writing down notes about things that annoyed me during the film, because that's more interesting than actually watching and I need to vent my frustrations after watching manure like this. There's a reason I only write long reviews for movies I hate.

The opening scene was probably the best part of the film. Samara Weaving in a tight dress could've lasted longer. The scene's nothing special all in all, but fine.

Sadly the rest of the movie is filled with annoying and unlikeable characters. The only likeable one being Jenna Ortega's.
I almost couldn't believe how bad Hayden Panettiere was here. Just wow. Firstly I couldn't buy her as an
FBI agent
whatsoever. I mean, she's probably never been an amazing actress, but this was just a whole other level of bad. Just terrible. TERRIBLEEEEEEE!

Hayden is not the only wooden actor either. They didn't want to spend money to include Neve Campbell in this film. I can see they didn't want to spend on anyone else decent either, other than the main sisters. I wouldn't mind if I never had to see Jasmin Savoy Brown, Mason Gooding, Liana Liberato or Josh Segarra again in my entire life.

Age has also caught up with Courtney Cox, understandably enough. She does okay though (I guess).

I've never seen more brutal kills in the franchise, so props for that, though it doesn't help much when the first hour+ of the film is pure crap.
A positive was the final act, I found it pretty decent actually (but not as good as in some of the earlier films in the series). Some very predictable moments here as well though.

Lastly, the dialogue in this movie. No actual humans talk like these people, surely? I get it's written for (by?) people of another generation than me, but damn. It's soooooooooo bad.

The "emotional" moments completely faceplant as well.

One more spoiler..
I was going to write something like "at least we got to see the annoying trash characters/actors die one after another", but guess what, one final plot twist, THEY SURVIVED A BUNCH OF STAB WOUNDS, and one of them literally ran around like nothing had happened cracking bad jokes 30 minutes later, 30 minutes after getting stabbed multiple times in the torso. So I guess this lot will also be in Scream 7.

Also, it's funny how multiple stabs never leave any marks on the victims clothes. There's blood, but not a single hole in the outfits. Well done.

Jenna Ortega, the opening scene and a bit of the final act saves this from a bottom rating.
4/10

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back