Last Film You Watched

Also big fan of found-footage horror.

REC 1/2 you can see here what I think of them: screenshot of a section of my Top 100 Films:

View attachment 217759

It deffo spawned the trend, tho' the terrible The Last Broadcast has bragging rights for first 'found-footage' horror, at least in the modern era.

Cannibal Holocaust I think is the first official found footage film. Tough watch and not a very good film at all.

One of the worst films I've ever seen, particularly because of real torture and killing of animals.
nah fook that. no art is worth that. poor things.

i gave up on Amores Perros for similar reasons, those dog-fighting scenes did not look fake (i may be wrong, haven't read up on it...those scenes just left me too uncomfortable).

Scared the living daylights out of me.

Incredibly effective for such a low budget film and the one that spawned all the other “ found footage “ films that followed.
I first watched it on DVD back when that was still cutting edge.

There was a very good fictional documentary on there set after the footage was found with the makers going round interviewing townspeople and researching the legend of the Blair Witch. I watched that before the actual film and it really added to it.

Continuing with the found footage theme, I watched Skinamarink tonight. Tried to avoid reading much about it beforehand, and not too sure what to make of it. It has a few unsettling moments, but is horribly overlong and too one-paced to make much of an impression. It's basically an experimental art film that's been marketed as a horror, but it's a long way from mainstream genre cinema.

Starting to get the feeling, Mosh + Becks have been watching the Same film...

The line "if you build it, they will come." was never actually said in the movie, it was "if you build it, he will come."

The worst one of this sort of collective-memory failure is surely this:

Remember Jaws, the Roger Moore-era Bond Henchman? Big mute guy with nasty braces. There was a funny scene where while hunting Bond he stumbles upon a young lady who gives him a sympathetic twinkling smile...he smiles back in apparent recognition.

What did he recognise in her?

A) she also wore braces.

or B) nothing in particular.

Without looking it up, what's your recollection?

The line "if you build it, they will come." was never actually said in the movie, it was "if you build it, he will come."

The worst one of this sort of collective-memory failure is surely this:

Remember Jaws, the Roger Moore-era Bond Henchman? Big mute guy with nasty braces. There was a funny scene where while hunting Bond he stumbles upon a young lady who gives him a sympathetic twinkling smile...he smiles back in apparent recognition.

What did he recognise in her?

A) she also wore braces.

or B) nothing in particular.

Without looking it up, what's your recollection?
She had glasses and pig tails, wore a white dress and was incredibly buxom indeed. The cable car scene. (crash scene)

She had glasses and pig tails, wore a white dress and was incredibly buxom indeed. The cable car scene. (crash scene)
nice and true...i guess you don't remember that she had braces then? For me, she had braces and they twinkled against the light, and that was a moment of mutual recognition between the two...but it never happened. Weird thing is thousands of others also remember the same non-existent scene.

Also, Wayne's World II owns the 'if you book them, they will come' bit
Maybe these collective misrememberings come from well-known spoofs which themselves misquoted the famous lines.

So we're remembering the spoof, but think we're remembering the original.

See also "Hello Clarice" and "Luke, I am your father."

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back