Last Film You Watched

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One
I felt this started off in a convoluted way, with far too much stuff happening at the same time. Eventually it became simpler to follow and it turned into a really enjoyable movie. The action set pieces and visuals are superbly done of course and the cast is great (especially TC and the lovely Vanessa Kirby). All in all it's another great entry from the most consistent action franchise out there. It also didn't feel like a 3 hour movie. It flew by. 8/10

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Going straight into this one after M:I, I found it funny how similar the action was at times. A special part in each movie that took place on trains were identical. The movie itself was everything I expected from a by the numbers 2023 Disney movie. It's an okay adventure film, but it didn't grab me much.
6/10

Best vampire/Dracula movie I've ever seen. So atmospheric. I'll never forget watching it on a channel named Canal+ as a 12-13 year old. Completely blown away. The score, the setting and Kinski's disgusting performance as Nosferatu is just perfection.
Just seen Dead Reckoning and while I didn’t think it was quite as good as Fallout or Rogue Nation it’s still a really solid entry in the franchise. Haley Atwell was a good addition and the usual suspects were as good as ever. Wasn’t a huge fan of Gabriel but he was fine I guess.

Annabelle: Creation (2017)
I had no intentions of watching this one after the first film. Then friends started praising it, but I still waited for five years to watch it - until tonight.

Where the first Annabelle mostly got everything wrong, this one does a lot of things right. Instead of relying solely on crap jump scares, Creation builds tension throughout, and the characters are likeable enough for me to not want to see them get hurt.
The sound production (barely any music, just eerie silence) is very effective. Having so many child actors in one movie without any of them being an annoyance I also find quite impressive.

This is comfortably the best Conjuring spin-off movie I've seen. I almost gave it a better score, but it somehow lacked that little extra. A very well done movie nonetheless.
7/10

Annabelle: Creation (2017)
I had no intentions of watching this one after the first film. Then friends started praising it, but I still waited for five years to watch it - until tonight.

Where the first Annabelle mostly got everything wrong, this one does a lot of things right. Instead of relying solely on crap jump scares, Creation builds tension throughout, and the characters are likeable enough for me to not want to see them get hurt.
The sound production (barely any music, just eerie silence) is very effective. Having so many child actors in one movie without any of them being an annoyance I also find quite impressive.

This is comfortably the best Conjuring spin-off movie I've seen. I almost gave it a better score, but it somehow lacked that little extra. A very well done movie nonetheless.
7/10
Nice review, makes me wanna see it without you giving any plot away. Do i need to watch the first Annabelle?

The Taking of Deborah Logan (9/10) is another one which did silence-building-unease rather than jump-scares really well.

'Pro' reviews are often unreadable: they mostly just describe the plot which can get spoilery for the likes of me who want to go into films knowing as little as possible.

The Insidious/Conjuring stuff seems mostly style-over-substance: Insidious 1 had some memorable imagery but forgettable story.

Blair Witch is 24 years old. Hasn’t aged too well but still a genuinely fantastic film.

This thread is a really cool insight into how it was made and just how budget the whole thing was - remains biggest revenue:production ratio in Hollywood history.

First saw it only a few years ago, two decades after the hype. Enjoyed it! That tent scene is freaky (i've wild-tented quite a bit so that felt extra creepy). The ending also great. And good choice that we never
got to see the witch.

I think the first Paranormal Activity now holds the budget/revenue record. Also superior film, makes my top 20 all-time.

First saw it only a few years ago, two decades after the hype. Enjoyed it! That tent scene is freaky (i've wild-tented quite a bit so that felt extra creepy). The ending also great. And good choice that we never
got to see the witch.

I think the first Paranormal Activity now holds the budget/revenue record. Also superior film, makes my top 20 all-time.
I quite like these documentary style horror films. There was a Spanish one called Rec out a few years later which is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Blair Witch is 24 years old. Hasn’t aged too well but still a genuinely fantastic film.

This thread is a really cool insight into how it was made and just how budget the whole thing was - remains biggest revenue:production ratio in Hollywood history.

Scared the living daylights out of me.

Incredibly effective for such a low budget film and the one that spawned all the other “ found footage “ films that followed.

I quite like these documentary style horror films. There was a Spanish one called Rec out a few years later which is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.
Also big fan of found-footage horror.

REC 1/2 you can see here what I think of them: screenshot of a section of my Top 100 Films:

Screenshot_20230714-144425105~2.jpg

Scared the living daylights out of me.

Incredibly effective for such a low budget film and the one that spawned all the other “ found footage “ films that followed.

It deffo spawned the trend, tho' the terrible The Last Broadcast has bragging rights for first 'found-footage' horror, at least in the modern era.

Nice review, makes me wanna see it without you giving any plot away. Do i need to watch the first Annabelle?

The Taking of Deborah Logan (9/10) is another one which did silence-building-unease rather than jump-scares really well.

'Pro' reviews are often unreadable: they mostly just describe the plot which can get spoilery for the likes of me who want to go into films knowing as little as possible.

The Insidious/Conjuring stuff seems mostly style-over-substance: Insidious 1 had some memorable imagery but forgettable story.

Thanks! No need to watch the first one, as this one is set before it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back